Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 13:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Manhattan GMAT Tests vs Real GMAT Scores

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: IESE, Spain; Booth (Chicago); Ross (Michigan)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Re: Manhattan GMAT Tests vs Real GMAT Scores [#permalink] New post 15 May 2010, 08:59
Hello back (the forum wouldn't let me quote correctly),

Great reaction! I just took the second GMAT Prep test and scored exactly 700 on it. My exam is on Monday and I will let you know how I did as soon as I am back. I suppose the free test is quite hard even compared to the other CAT's you provide. Actually I am pretty sure, because I remember some of the quant questions were really challenging!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 3

Re: Manhattan GMAT Tests vs Real GMAT Scores [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 05:08
I have just taken GMATPREP 1 and MGMAT CAT#1 and the scores as below:

GMATPREP: 730 (Q-50, V-40)
MGMAT CAT#1: 680 (Q-47, V-35)

I cannot really judge my performance level for the D-day since there is a 50 point difference between the two scores. Is this the case with others too who have taken the two tests :(
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: IESE, Spain; Booth (Chicago); Ross (Michigan)

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 9

Re: Manhattan GMAT Tests vs Real GMAT Scores [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 05:26
This post received
KUDOS
tingle15 wrote:
I have just taken GMATPREP 1 and MGMAT CAT#1 and the scores as below:

GMATPREP: 730 (Q-50, V-40)
MGMAT CAT#1: 680 (Q-47, V-35)

I cannot really judge my performance level for the D-day since there is a 50 point difference between the two scores. Is this the case with others too who have taken the two tests :(

Yes, for me the MGMAT CAT#1 is harder compared to the real thing. My real score was the average between the two GMATPREP tests the first time I took them. :)
Manager
Manager

Re: Manhattan GMAT Tests vs Real GMAT Scores [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2010, 10:05
MGMAT CAT#2: 680 (same breakup as CAT#1) Though I ran out of time and had to guess last 5 questions in quant section

MGMAT CAT#3: 670

This is freaking me out. My performance on MGMAT doesn't seem to change :(
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Manhattan GMAT Tests vs Real GMAT Scores [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2010, 18:13
I have given Manhattan GMAT Tests and have following scores:

CAT1 - 730 Q51 V 38 (Free Test)
CAT2 - 680 Q48 V35
CAT3 - 730 Q51 V 38
CAT4 - 730 Q49 V40
CAT5 - 740 Q 51 V 40

Besides I got a 720 on GMATPrep1 Q 51 V38. I am scheduled to write the test within a week and plan to take the GMATPrep2 within next two days.

What do you guys feel am I heading for at the actual test?

Thanks in Advance
Manager
Manager

Re: Manhattan GMAT Tests vs Real GMAT Scores [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 05:37
btgmat2010 wrote:
I have given Manhattan GMAT Tests and have following scores:

CAT1 - 730 Q51 V 38 (Free Test)
CAT2 - 680 Q48 V35
CAT3 - 730 Q51 V 38
CAT4 - 730 Q49 V40
CAT5 - 740 Q 51 V 40

Besides I got a 720 on GMATPrep1 Q 51 V38. I am scheduled to write the test within a week and plan to take the GMATPrep2 within next two days.

What do you guys feel am I heading for at the actual test?

Thanks in Advance

btgmat2010,

You seem to be scoring well on the MGMAT tests and this should place you somewhere in the 720-740 mark (just a hunch... don't feel contented tho). I guess you should keep working on your verbal score because there is a visible variation in the score. All the best and do post your debrief :)
Intern
Intern
Schools: Virginia Tech

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Manhattan GMAT Tests vs Real GMAT Scores [#permalink] New post 02 May 2011, 07:38
Free MGMAT: 640 (44Q/34V)
MGMAT 2: 680 (44Q/38V)
GMATprep 1: 610 (42Q/31V)

I find the Sentence Correction on GMATprep to be more difficult than MGMAT.
Intern
Intern

Re: Manhattan GMAT Tests vs Real GMAT Scores [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2011, 02:39
Dear all,

I am from Europe and currently a bit puzzled when it comes to evaluating where I stand in terms of GMAT preparation (scheduled for July 31st).

I am wondering what I can expect from test day since I see a large (positive) deviation between MGMAT tests (AWA included, timed sessions) to the official prep material:

in chronological order:

May 11: GMAT Prep 1 - 550 (think it was Q 36, V 30)
Mid June 11: GMAT Prep 2 - 590 (Q 38, V 34)
---
Mid June 11: MGMAT free test - 690 (Q 44, V 39)
July 11: MGMAT 1 - 650 (Q 44, V 35)
Today: MGMAT 2 - 710 (Q 46, V 41)

I actually thought that MGMAT is considered more difficult than real GMAT while official GMAT prep is perceived easier. My scores however seem somewhat inconsistent with that assumption! Does anybody have an idea or advice?

Thanks a lot!
Manhattan GMAT Online Marketing Associate
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 7

Re: Manhattan GMAT Tests vs Real GMAT Scores [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 06:12
Hey,

I'm not so sure that the difference in your scores is due to the difficulty levels of the practice tests. While Manhattan GMAT practice tests aren't official, we try to mimic the official test algorithm as closely as possible. Your higher scores are probably due to an increase in your ability level over the past couple months. Looks like all your hard work is paying off!

For the official test, GMAC has published a "within student" standard deviation of 30 points, and GMATPrep is supposed to be about the same. A "within student" SD means that if the student takes the test a bunch of times in a row (without studying / learning more in between), the standard deviation of that student's scores will be about 30.

We (MGMAT) have done extensive analysis of our large pool of students and their practice and official test scores.

The "within student" SD is about 50 points on our tests. The "last MGMAT test to official test" SD is also about 50 points.

Every 2 months, we calibrate our scoring algorithm to ensure that our test, on average (across all students now) is an unbiased estimator of GMAT performance. What this means: some students do better on the official test and some students do worse (compared to last MGMAT test). When we look at performance across all of our students, we attempt to ensure that the average difference balances out to zero. In practice, we ensure that the average difference in last MGMAT test score vs. official test score is between +5 and -5 points across all students. What this means: our tests do not consistently under- or over-estimate scores.

Best,
Matt Mapplebeck
Student Services Associate
Manhattan GMAT

Matt Mapplebeck | Manhattan GMAT Online Marketing Associate | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

BSchool Thread Master
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 123

Re: Manhattan GMAT Tests vs Real GMAT Scores [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 14:58
timogrund wrote:
Dear all,

I am from Europe and currently a bit puzzled when it comes to evaluating where I stand in terms of GMAT preparation (scheduled for July 31st).

I am wondering what I can expect from test day since I see a large (positive) deviation between MGMAT tests (AWA included, timed sessions) to the official prep material:

in chronological order:

---

I actually thought that MGMAT is considered more difficult than real GMAT while official GMAT prep is perceived easier. My scores however seem somewhat inconsistent with that assumption! Does anybody have an idea or advice?

Thanks a lot!

Did you take the test on the same day? Wow.

I think you are improving though. Did you finish on time? My Q is Q45 and I didn't finish on time! :(
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9399 [0], given: 3697

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Manhattan GMAT Tests vs Real GMAT Scores [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 19:14
Expert's post
Also, see this link: http://gmatclub.com/gmat-score-calculator/

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

BSchool Thread Master
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 123

Re: Manhattan GMAT Tests vs Real GMAT Scores [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 16:36
bb wrote:

Question. People in this thread say that MGMAT is harder, but your calculator says otherwise. When I input a score of 720 from MGMAT, your calculator estimates a 710 in the real gmat. What's the scoop? I am guessing since a lot of the posts in this thread are old, Manhattan has adjusted their scores already?
Intern
Intern

Re: Manhattan GMAT Tests vs Real GMAT Scores [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 09:21
gablaze23 wrote:
timogrund wrote:
Dear all,

in chronological order:

---

Thanks a lot!

Did you take the test on the same day? Wow.

I think you are improving though. Did you finish on time? My Q is Q45 and I didn't finish on time! :(

Yes I did finish on time, but with no time left actually.

Thanks for all of your feedback! I will let you guys know how I performed...
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 76 [1] , given: 27

Re: Manhattan GMAT Tests vs Real GMAT Scores [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2011, 15:34
This post received
KUDOS
I never exceeded a 750 on MGMT and a 720 on GMATPrep. However, I somehow managed a 760 on test day.

Also, I came in a bit below my average MGMT quant score and well above my average MGMT average verbal score on test day. This is a bit contrary to the general consensus regarding MGMT quant scores--but I do think that MGMT quant is definitely harder than the real GMAT's quant. I think my experience was a bit of a fluke.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Manhattan GMAT Tests vs Real GMAT Scores [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2011, 16:10
i Feel the MGMAT quant is more difficult than the GMAT standard and the performance in quant can also impact your verbal score. So expect to get more in the official gmat.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 27

Re: Manhattan GMAT Tests vs Real GMAT Scores [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2011, 16:29
pankgarg wrote:
i Feel the MGMAT quant is more difficult than the GMAT standard and the performance in quant can also impact your verbal score. So expect to get more in the official gmat.

How would your performance in quant have any affect on your verbal score?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Manhattan GMAT Tests vs Real GMAT Scores [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2011, 19:21
MDF wrote:
pankgarg wrote:

If i did not do well in quant, it increased my anxiety level, making me perform bad in verbal even..
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.98
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 11

Re: Manhattan GMAT Tests vs Real GMAT Scores [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 08:28
pankgarg wrote:
MDF wrote:
pankgarg wrote:

If i did not do well in quant, it increased my anxiety level, making me perform bad in verbal even..

+1. I find the same too, that when I do my quant well, my verbal goes up a few points and when not, it goes the other way.

I know you are supposed to put it behind you and switch on a new mode as if the quant didn't exist, but it is not the same in reality. Some part of your mind always lingers on the "supposed" poor quant performance, which takes away that 100% focus on verbal after.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: Manhattan GMAT Tests vs Real GMAT Scores [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2011, 15:04
quant definitely feels harder on the MGMAT tests, especially when you get down to the combinatorics section
Intern
Intern

Re: Manhattan GMAT Tests vs Real GMAT Scores [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2011, 15:16
I am scheduled for the GMAT next week, but when I do the GMAC review questions and the practice exam, the math definitely feels harder than MGMAT.
Re: Manhattan GMAT Tests vs Real GMAT Scores   [#permalink] 14 Dec 2011, 15:16