Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [1]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools: Stern '19 (S)
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manhattan GMAT Tests vs Real GMAT Scores [#permalink]
Kudos
Hey all, i would suggest to take any unofficial practice test with a pinch of salt. In my case, which is just my personal opinion, i got misleaded into the wrong direction.

I had taken a second attempt at GMAT on 6th November and scored 700. I wanted to improve my score so i targeted a preparation of shorter duration and gave another attempt yesterday.

My strategy was primarily to focus on weak areas and better timing as i always fell short of time near the end. Since i had read multiple reviews of the MGMAT mocks being on the tougher side in quants i assumed it would be a good practice timing per se. I was about to go on a spin.

I bought the tests and scored a 650 on the first mock. English was fine in score but i performed poorly in quants as i had expected. The questions were lengthier so i had to pace up more. I gave it the second time and scored a 670,with slight improvement in quants and same verbal score. Now here is the interesting part. The second time i gave the mock, i had made a point to complete entire section in time, and this gave me a better result than before. When reviewing the answers, i found that i had answered questions numbered from 15to20 wrong in a row. And also, some questions near the end. Still i got a better score than when i was deliberate in solving every question correctly as much as possible. The former doesnt work so well in the GMAT in getting you a good score. In fact if you concentrate on answering correctly since beginning, then you might get a high score, else not.
Hence this was misleading for me in quants.
Yet this is not the most ineresting part. You would remember i said that i was performing consistently in English. Surprise surprise, my english downgraded like anything. It was almost like i was in stone age and just heard about english. On the GMAC mock test i got a ghastly 27.i could not believe myself. And this is just two days before my scheduled exam. Pretending to be unperturbed, i exhausted the last test i had and scored 31. Mind you, the first mock test i had given of GMAC in August, at the very beginning of my prep, i scored 650. And as of 22nd November, i was scoring 580 AND 620 in the same mocks. I gave the GMAT on 23rd and i scored 580.

It makes me wonder if we can make a critical reasoning question out of this. A strengthen question with an option, 'unofficial tests do more harm than good'. But i knew the mods would not entertain an unofficial source here, all the more why you shouldn't as well.

And of course i would have answered this reasoning question incorrectly.

Stick to official guides and tests. Period.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Manhattan GMAT Tests vs Real GMAT Scores [#permalink]
   1   2   3   4