Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 21:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Manhattan GRE RC

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Manhattan GRE RC [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 20:29
Hi,

I have a GRE Reading Comprehension book(i.e. the new GRE) . Can I practice RC from that book and will it be of any help in my GMAT exam? I have no idea how far RC in these two exams are similar.

Please give me some suggestions.

Thank you.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GPA: 1
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Manhattan GRE RC [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 21:11
This post received
KUDOS
GRE is good. In fact, it is harder - mainly because of the verbal comparison section. However, as for RC, they should be similar.

I'd say that you read a lot (like I recommended in another thread for a non-native speaker). The key to RC improvement is your reading speed, which correlates well to your size of vocab and your understanding of English syntax. Typically, it would be advisable that you finish a CR stem in 25 seconds. That way, you'd be able to finish a RC stem in a little more than a minute. But sometimes you act like a CD-ROM reader that searches for a specific track of the disc (the article, that is) - you want to find out which word means which, which sentence has what significance. Most of the time you can use control + F function to find the wanted section, avoiding reading the whole thing.

Some may disagree with me, but SAT RC, GMAT RC and GRE RC do correlate with each other very well. GMAT is in fact one of the easier ones - for me at least - since it is presented on a computer screen from which I routinely read my newspaper every day.

I read most guides for GMAT RC : the dedicated one from Manhattan GMAT as well as the one included in the PowerScore verbal bible. Both are pretty simplistic, without much specific guide. The only caution both guides give is that you should read the articles carefully. This is unlike the SAT RC, in which you blitz through articles, looking at only the first and last sentences...because SAT articles are Soooo much longer and so much more annoying (there are two passage comparisons involved). In fact, I recommend that you read Rocket Review Revolution http://www.amazon.com/The-RocketReview- ... 0451213114 if you have trouble with speed. RRR is the best of the best RC guide that sends numerous SAT contenders towards the 800 RC (and Harvard Yale Princeton Stanford also). I can totally vouch for this book, written by PR's founder Mr Robinson. I bought the book for $20 and can still sell for $60 at the moment (the book is out of print). It's much more reliable than either the GRE book or the LSAT book which I'm gonna discuss further.

if you want to go hardcore, go with PowerScore LSAT RC - but in my opinion highly unnecessary. In addition, the LSAT guide has a huge part advising you how to mark up the article with VIEWSTAMP indicators, which cannot be performed on the computer screen. I did some LSAT prep alongside my SAT prep last year, and I found LSAT RC a somewhat longer version of CR - intense monstrous CR, the type of CR that has a lot of logic twists. GMAT RC is somewhat closer to TOEFL RC.....if you want to get a feel of TOEFL RC, go take a free test. They're very straightforward, and should be cakewalk for you if you've been speaking the language for at least five years.
Re: Manhattan GRE RC   [#permalink] 11 Jun 2012, 21:11