Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2015, 02:54
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Manhattan Practice tests vs GMAC vs Actual

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Manhattan Practice tests vs GMAC vs Actual [#permalink] New post 25 May 2015, 15:40
I'm looking for some feedback on my practice tests. I'm taking the real test in 5 days! :-/ Here are my practice test scores, in date order:

MGMAT CAT 1 29Q, 31V - 510
MGMAT CAT 2 30Q, 35V - 540
MGMAT CAT3 37Q, 37V - 620
MGMAT CAT4 40Q, 35V - 620
MGMAT CAT 5 45Q, 30V - 610

GMAC - 47Q, 42V - 720

MGMAT CAT 6 - 44Q, 32V - 630

I was shocked by my high GMAC score. The Manhattan tests seem to be much harder than the GMAC tests, especially the quant section. Since my MGMAT tests are consistently in the 610 - 630 range, any idea if I will score >680 on the actual test?

Thanks!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Tutor
Followers: 321

Kudos [?]: 1010 [1] , given: 4

Re: Manhattan Practice tests vs GMAC vs Actual [#permalink] New post 25 May 2015, 17:17
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
You should have a lot more faith in GMATPrep scores than in company test scores. GMATPrep is the real thing, and company tests are not. You've only taken one GMATPrep, and it can be a bit difficult to gauge your level precisely from a single test, for two reasons:

• Luck can play a bit of a role on the test (because sometimes your guesses work out well, sometimes not). It's rare though that luck will cause you to score more than 30 points from your ability level.

• One other thing to bear in mind, when evaluating a GMATPrep score, is whether your score might be inflated because you had seen some of the questions in advance. That can sometimes be an issue for test takers who regularly read posts on GMAT forums.

If there's no reason to think your score was artificially inflated, then you've demonstrated you're capable of scoring a 720 on the real test, so a 680+ score would certainly seem to be possible. If your score might be substantially inflated, then it's harder to judge. You'd get a better idea of your current level if you took another GMATPrep test, but this close to test day, I wouldn't recommend doing that unless you really need more test-taking practice (pacing strategy practice, mainly). You don't want to burn yourself out before the test - it does sound like you have a realistic chance to hit your target as long as you can perform to your ability, and you'll be more likely to do that if you take it a bit easy over the next few days and go into the test well-rested and relaxed. Good luck!

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Intern
Intern

Re: Manhattan Practice tests vs GMAC vs Actual [#permalink] New post 25 May 2015, 17:31
IanStewart - Thank you so much for your quick response!

- I am planning on taking one more practice test on Wednesday (I take the actual test on Saturday). I feel like I need a little more practice as I only just incorporated the IR in my last MGMAT test (630). I'm going to take the second GMAC for my last practice test to have one more data point to compare to the first GMAC test I took (720).

- I don't think my GMAC 720 was artificially inflated from seeing questions in advance as I have not been looking at the forums for practice problems.

My verbal has been inconsistent, so as long as my verbal skills show up on Saturday - I should be good! :-) Thanks again and I'll be sure to post the final score.
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Representative
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Manhattan Practice tests vs GMAC vs Actual [#permalink] New post 25 May 2015, 18:12
Expert's post
jewelthomson wrote:
I'm looking for some feedback on my practice tests. I'm taking the real test in 5 days! :-/ Here are my practice test scores, in date order:

MGMAT CAT 1 29Q, 31V - 510
MGMAT CAT 2 30Q, 35V - 540
MGMAT CAT3 37Q, 37V - 620
MGMAT CAT4 40Q, 35V - 620
MGMAT CAT 5 45Q, 30V - 610

GMAC - 47Q, 42V - 720

MGMAT CAT 6 - 44Q, 32V - 630

I was shocked by my high GMAC score. The Manhattan tests seem to be much harder than the GMAC tests, especially the quant section. Since my MGMAT tests are consistently in the 610 - 630 range, any idea if I will score >680 on the actual test?

Thanks!

We can't comment for other tests but do note that no test prep company's algorithm will exactly match the real thing. The most we can do is get close.

In terms of our scoring, many of our students report scores that are +/- 30 points from their actual GMAT test and so are a relatively good indicator of their performance. That said, no practice test can perfectly replicate the actual score algorithm, but this is quite close.

If you feel like you need to take another practice test over the next five days then you can always take a free GMAT PILL practice test here complete with detailed performance and timing analytics: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... ctice-test

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Expert Post
GMAT Tutor

Kudos [?]: 1010 [0], given: 4

Re: Manhattan Practice tests vs GMAC vs Actual [#permalink] New post 25 May 2015, 18:40
Expert's post
jewel, please don't take a company test at this stage. If you need to take another test, take a GMATPrep test. I guarantee that any reputable GMAT expert in the world would give you that advice in your current situation.

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Representative
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Manhattan Practice tests vs GMAC vs Actual [#permalink] New post 26 May 2015, 15:47
Expert's post
Yes — the GMATPrep test is the best one. All companies (including GMAT PILL) - do their best to get as close to the algorithm as the real thing. But nothing beats the GMATPrep test from the actual test takers. That said, we do believe our test is a very close second.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 76

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Manhattan Practice tests vs GMAC vs Actual [#permalink] New post 31 May 2015, 20:45
Expert's post
Now i am interested to find out how much have you scored on the real gmat? From my past experience i feel you should be see around 680 or higher. I have seen usually 7-10 points jump in real gmat from mgmat quants. Verbal remaining mostly same can see a point or two movement mostly towards the upper side. So lets wait for you to revert on this

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Manhattan Practice tests vs GMAC vs Actual [#permalink] New post 31 May 2015, 20:49
Expert's post
Also from my experience i have seen that mgmat reading comprehension is tougher than the actual thing. mgmat cr is sometime based on absurd concepts. That said mgmat comes close to the real thing or at least it gives the lower margin. I have never taken a gpill test but i would like to try their 6 test series before i can make more comments on their tests.

Regards,

S

Intern
Intern

Re: Manhattan Practice tests vs GMAC vs Actual [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2015, 15:53
Actual score was 690!

I would have loved to get over 700, but I'll take the 690.

IanStewart - I ended up taking your advice and not taking another practice test so close to the actual test. I used my last week to relax and do some light studying.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Manhattan Practice tests vs GMAC vs Actual [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2015, 00:09
Expert's post
Great job. 690 will give you some good admits i believe. Just so to correlate can you please post your split.

Regards,

S

Expert Post
GMAT Tutor

Kudos [?]: 1010 [0], given: 4

Re: Manhattan Practice tests vs GMAC vs Actual [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2015, 10:55
Expert's post
Congratulations Jewel! I'm happy to hear the test went well.

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

Re: Manhattan Practice tests vs GMAC vs Actual   [#permalink] 04 Jun 2015, 10:55