Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 23:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Manhattan Quant Books Study Plan & Foundations of GMAT Math?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Manhattan Quant Books Study Plan & Foundations of GMAT Math? [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2011, 07:35
Hello everone,

I recently took the gmat and did poorly on the quant section. I did not prepare adequately and am confident I can improve my score significantly.

As background info, I have never been a gifted math student but I have managed to get mostly A's in college level math & stats, including calc 1 & 2. I did this mainly through hard work rather than a natural aptitude.

To become better prepared, I have made arrangements to acquire the 5 book Manhattan quant set, the 12the ed OG, the 1st ed Quant OG, as well as the Manhattan OG companion.

My question to you is how to best use these books? I should have them in my hands on Monday, and will be eager to begin my prep at that time. Do I simply review them in order, and then attack the OGs? Or is there some other plan or process that would help me build my knowledge more effectively?

Also, the only Manhattan book I do not have access to is the Foundations of GMAT Math book. Is this book worth having, especially since I will have all the others? What if anything does it provide that the other books do not?

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: Manhattan Quant Books Study Plan & Foundations of GMAT Math? [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2011, 10:07
Does anyone have any thoughts?
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 952 [0], given: 376

Re: Manhattan Quant Books Study Plan & Foundations of GMAT Math? [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2011, 10:38
runningfool wrote:
Hello everone,

I recently took the gmat and did poorly on the quant section. I did not prepare adequately and am confident I can improve my score significantly.

As background info, I have never been a gifted math student but I have managed to get mostly A's in college level math & stats, including calc 1 & 2. I did this mainly through hard work rather than a natural aptitude.

To become better prepared, I have made arrangements to acquire the 5 book Manhattan quant set, the 12the ed OG, the 1st ed Quant OG, as well as the Manhattan OG companion.

My question to you is how to best use these books? I should have them in my hands on Monday, and will be eager to begin my prep at that time. Do I simply review them in order, and then attack the OGs? Or is there some other plan or process that would help me build my knowledge more effectively?

Also, the only Manhattan book I do not have access to is the Foundations of GMAT Math book. Is this book worth having, especially since I will have all the others? What if anything does it provide that the other books do not?

Thanks!

I would recommend you to finish all the solved examples at the end of each chapter first from the MGMAT rather than trying to solve all the related question from OG as well. Problem with latter is that you may be stuck with MGMAT and OG for a long time that way.

If you just solve the exercises from MGMAT, you will be done with the guides faster and it will be less boring. After you are all done with MGMAT theory and solve examples, try to solve related topics that's mentioned at the end of every guide. This way you will get a chance to revisit the topics you may have forgotten from your first reading of the MGMAT theory. Also, if you get bored of doing too many OG problems, you can take practice problems from other sources and try to solve them. After all, you are already done with your theory.

I feel MGMAT guides are pretty decent for startup. You may have to practice problems, read from other sources to better yourself in advance topics of inequality and permutation/combination/geometry.

As for other source, I feel GMAT Club math book does a pretty decent job in summarizing most of the formulas and technique:
gmat-math-book-87417.html

I remember taking a cursory look into "Foundations of GMAT Math". I didn't find it to be too valuable.

You can read this if you have ample time:
new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: Manhattan Quant Books Study Plan & Foundations of GMAT Math? [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2011, 22:23
This post was
BOOKMARKED
It depends on what kind of time you have. If you can go through all of them, then go through all of them. MAKE SURE YOU DO THE PROBLEMS AS SOON AS YOU FINISH THE CHAPTER. Also DO the DATA SUFFICIENCY REPHRASINGS.

If you don't have a lot of time go through
  • Number Properties
  • world translations
  • geometry

Then memorize FDPs (i.e 16.67% = .1666666 = 1/6), factorials up to 10 (i.e. 4! = 4*3*2*1 = 24), and squares/roots up to 20 (i.e. 20^2 = 400, sqrt(400 = 20). I think all of these are outside of the 3 books I mentioned. Also, get your butt on GMATCLUB and answer questions. You'll be a champ by test day
Intern
Intern

Re: Manhattan Quant Books Study Plan & Foundations of GMAT Math? [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2011, 06:13
Thanks all! Much appreciated
CEO
CEO
Followers: 206

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Manhattan Quant Books Study Plan & Foundations of GMAT Math? [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2014, 20:07
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: Manhattan Quant Books Study Plan & Foundations of GMAT Math?   [#permalink] 25 Jun 2014, 20:07