Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 06:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Manhattan SC 2003 eddition vs 4th edition

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 7

Manhattan SC 2003 eddition vs 4th edition [#permalink] New post 29 May 2010, 23:07
To those who read both books, could you please comment on the differences between them and if it's worth to buy the 4th edition if you already have the 2003 edition? I've read in a number of posts that the 4th edition is far superior to the 2003 edition but would love to know in exactly what areas it is better.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Anderson, Darden
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Manhattan SC 2003 eddition vs 4th edition [#permalink] New post 29 May 2010, 23:58
Hi,

Being new I am not able to post the link to my blog where I have shared my experiences.

However, I am putting excerpts over here..

" However,for newer improved version you can always order it on the ManhattanGmat official website. On the purchase of this book you get 6 CAT(Computer Adaptive Tests) which will prove to be an invaluable tool in this journey. They have added some advanced chapters in the new edition which I found very useful. Plus the new edition is in synch with the 12th edition of OG (Official Guide) whereas the older one refers to the 10th Edition OG.

Regarding Idioms, the new version has a huge list of Idioms and I got hold of this version only 10 days before the G-day. Hence,I had to skip that part.But its always helpful to remember the Idioms ".

Thanks
Ashutosh
Director
Director

Re: Manhattan SC 2003 eddition vs 4th edition [#permalink] New post 30 May 2010, 08:16
I know that the new edition has more advanced chapters. The question is if it's worth buying.
Manhattan GMAT Student Services Associate
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: Manhattan SC 2003 eddition vs 4th edition [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2010, 07:56
Hi,

You can find out the exact differences here: http://www.manhattangmat.com/fourth-ed-info.cfm

On this page, it notes:

Quote:
The content included in the Fourth Edition Strategy Guides is very similar to the Third Edition with the key differences being the following:
1. The Third Edition Guides are built around the 11th Edition Official Guide, while the Fourth Edition Guides are built around the 12th Edition Official Guide. This has required us to revise the problem sets at the end of each Manhattan GMAT Strategy Guide so the question numbers correspond to the appropriate problems in the new Official Guide.

Note that much of the 12th Edition is completely unchanged from the 11th Edition. Only 1/3 of the questions (approximately 300 problems) in the 12th Edition are new, but many have been reordered / renumbered. View Manhattan GMAT's in-depth examination of the 12th Edition here: http://www.manhattangmat.com/official-guide-12.cfm.

2. Additionally, in the Fourth Edition Manhattan GMAT Strategy Guides, the Advanced Content has been moved to the back of the books. We believe it is more appropriate for students to begin by learning the basics and then progress to the more advanced content when ready. It can be daunting to see some of the more complex content early on in your studies.

While there is a bit more content in the fourth edition, and the split between advanced and not is quite helpful in terms of focusing your studies, if you already have the third edition and are willing to use the conversion documents listed on the page above, you should be ok with using them.

Hope that's helpful!

Best,
Caitlin Clay
Student Services Associate
Manhattan GMAT

Caitlin Clay | Manhattan GMAT Student Services Associate | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern
Schools: Anderson, Darden

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Manhattan SC 2003 eddition vs 4th edition [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2010, 08:08
Yeah, but I would put my money on the new edition . Reasons :

The six tests with the guide are highly recommended. If you buy the tests alone, it wud cost you the same.

And on top of that advanced chapters and updated idioms list are also a reason why I would prefer the new one.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9433 [0], given: 3700

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Manhattan SC 2003 eddition vs 4th edition [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2010, 08:11
Expert's post
Also, please see: manhattan-gmat-books-3rd-4th-edition-conversion-tables-91671.html

(with new book you would also get access to online tests and exercises).

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director

Re: Manhattan SC 2003 eddition vs 4th edition [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2010, 12:51
Thanks everyone for their inputs.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Manhattan SC 2003 eddition vs 4th edition [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2010, 08:11
nonameee wrote:
Thanks everyone for their inputs.

MGMAT SC is the most sacred books after OG and one more is PowerScore CR Bible.

Dont forget to use all three.
Re: Manhattan SC 2003 eddition vs 4th edition   [#permalink] 03 Jun 2010, 08:11