Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 11:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Manhattan SC and Aristotle SC grail Idiom List contradict!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Manhattan SC and Aristotle SC grail Idiom List contradict!!! [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2011, 17:03
Hello,
I own both Manhattan Gmat SC and Aristotle Sc Grail books. I have found some contradicitions in the idom lists of the two. For instance (wrong idiom use right there accourding to Aristotle) when looking at the idiom 'Agree", Manhattan has it ' Agree that' - they agree that electrons exist. But in Aristotle, they have 'Agree to' and 'Agree with' and 'agree on/upon'. Manhattan says using 'Agree to' is wrong. This is very confusing to me, especially since Aristotle is based alot on Manhattan. I think I'm going to just go with Manhattan and try to memorize their list and fill in a couple words with Aristotle that aren't in Manhattan. Aristotle could of very well did a cut and paste job from the web from some english grammar site like they did with there Verb Tense tutorial which was identical to a site I found, even alot of the examples. Manhattan may have their list geared toward GMAT preferred grammar. Other than that Aristotle is still good review, but I don't want to go wild memorizing every single idiom out there. The thing I quickly learned when doing Official Guide problems, especially when using the Aristotle One-minute explanations companion. was that the first split recommended to use was an idiom split. Alot of questions can be answered right away just with knowing the idioms.

What do you guys think?
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 12-27-2011
WE: Law (Law)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Manhattan SC and Aristotle SC grail Idiom List contradict!!! [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2011, 09:25
This post received
KUDOS
well it all depends on meaning.

i do not believe that MGMT wrote that agree to is not correct.

agree/conclude etc.. can use "that", but agree can be also agree with/to
hope it helps:

agree (up)on someone or something
to agree to the choice of someone or something. Let's try to agree upon a date.
agree (with something) (in something)

[for grammatical features] to match or go together with other grammatical features. The subject and the verb agree in number.
agree to something

to consent to something; to allow something to be done; to approve something. If you don't agree to my leaving early, I'll just do it anyway.
agree to disagree

Cliché [for two or more parties] to calmly agree not to come to an agreement in a dispute. We have accomplished nothing except that we agree to disagree.
See also: disagree
agree with someone

1. Lit. to hold the same opinion or judgment as someone else. I simply do not agree with you!
2. Fig. [for something] to be acceptable to someone as food. (Usually negative, referring to the disagreeable consequences of eating bad food.) Onions do not agree with me.
agree with something

1. Fig. [for something] to look good or go well with something else. This dress does not agree with these shoes, does it?
2. Fig. [for something] to be in accord with something else. Your analysis agrees with mine.
Retired Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
GPA: 3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: Manhattan SC and Aristotle SC grail Idiom List contradict!!! [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2011, 05:30
even for the idiom- "doubt"- MGMAT and Aristotle SC provide different examples
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: Manhattan SC and Aristotle SC grail Idiom List contradict!!! [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2011, 17:01
Quite a few are different. I don't even know what to do with an idiom other that when I see the word pop up recognize that it has to be used a certain way with another word. What happens when the word is used in a different context? Am I suppose to be like a robot? lol

The Manhattan list is impossible to memorize. Once you start reading all the different examples and Capitalized words it doesn't make any sense.
Re: Manhattan SC and Aristotle SC grail Idiom List contradict!!!   [#permalink] 15 Aug 2011, 17:01