Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 11:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Manifestations of Islamic political militancy in the first

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 4

Manifestations of Islamic political militancy in the first [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2009, 07:49
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

62% (02:20) correct 38% (01:47) wrong based on 60 sessions
Manifestations of Islamic political militancy in the first period of religious reformism were the rise of the
Wahhabis in Arabia, the Sanusi in Cyrenaica. the Fulani in Nigeria, the Mahdi in the Sudan, and
the
victory of the Usuli "mujtahids" in Shiite Iran and Iraq.

(A) Manifestations of Islamic political militancy in the first period of religious reformism were the rise of the
Wahhabis in Arabia, the Sanusi in Cyrenaica, the Fulani in Nigeria, the Mahdi in the Sudan, and
(B) Manifestations of Islamic political militancy in the first period of religious reformism were shown in the
rise of the Wahhabis in Arabia, the Sanusi in Cyrenaica, the Fulani in Nigeria, the Mahdi in the Sudan,
and also
(C) In the first period of religious reformism, manifestations of Islamic political militancy were the rise of the
Wahhabis in Arabia, of the Sanusi in Cyrenaica, the Fulani in Nigeria, the Mahdi in the Sudan, and
(D) In the first period of religious reformism, manifestations of Islamic political militancy were shown in the
rise of the Wahhabis in Arabia, the Sanusi in Cyrenaica, the Fulani in Nigeria, the Mahdi in the Sudan,
and
(E) In the first period of religious reformism, Islamic political militancy was manifested in the rise of the
Wahhabis in Arabia, the Sanusi in Cyrenaica, the Fulani in Nigeria, and the Mahdi in the Sudan, and in

Answer
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

B - has 'and also' doesnt seem to fit in
C- 'of the Sanusi in Cyrenaica,' - not similar

'D' seems to be correct for me.

Can anyone help me in find the other grammatical issues.. :(
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs

Kudos [?]: 46 [1] , given: 92

Re: Manifestations of Islamic political militancy [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2009, 09:33
This post received
KUDOS
D has modifier error.

E - seems to be correct. rise of X and victory of Y. So, and is required in the end.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 1

Re: Manifestations of Islamic political militancy [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2009, 09:51
This post was
BOOKMARKED
sanoasis wrote:
Manifestations of Islamic political militancy in the first period of religious reformism were the rise of the
Wahhabis in Arabia, the Sanusi in Cyrenaica. the Fulani in Nigeria, the Mahdi in the Sudan, and
the
victory of the Usuli "mujtahids" in Shiite Iran and Iraq.

(A) Manifestations of Islamic political militancy in the first period of religious reformism were the rise of the
Wahhabis in Arabia, the Sanusi in Cyrenaica, the Fulani in Nigeria, the Mahdi in the Sudan, and
(B) Manifestations of Islamic political militancy in the first period of religious reformism were shown in the
and also
(C) In the first period of religious reformism, manifestations of Islamic political militancy were the rise of the
Wahhabis in Arabia, of the Sanusi in Cyrenaica, the Fulani in Nigeria, the Mahdi in the Sudan, and
(D) In the first period of religious reformism, manifestations of Islamic political militancy were shown in the
and
(E) In the first period of religious reformism, Islamic political militancy was manifested in the rise of the
Wahhabis in Arabia, the Sanusi in Cyrenaica, the Fulani in Nigeria, and the Mahdi in the Sudan, and in

Answer
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

B - has 'and also' doesnt seem to fit in
C- 'of the Sanusi in Cyrenaica,' - not similar

'D' seems to be correct for me.

Can anyone help me in find the other grammatical issues.. :(

A is awkward because there's just too much between manifestations and the word 'were'
In B, 'shown' is redundant; manifestation is itself used to convey demonstration
C is out because few examples use 'of' and the rest don't
D again is out because of 'shown'
Check out E
In the first period of religious reformism, Islamic political militancy was manifested in the rise of the

parallel!

Is this okay?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Manifestations of Islamic political militancy [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2009, 10:41
IMO E
Parallelism inside Parallelism
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 224 [0], given: 6

Re: Manifestations of Islamic political militancy [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2010, 07:12
Manifestations of Islamic political militancy in the first period of religious reformism were the rise of the Wahhabis in Arabia, the Sanusi in Cyrenaica. the Fulani in Nigeria, the Mahdi in the Sudan, and the victory of the Usuli "mujtahids" in Shiite Iran and Iraq.

(A) Manifestations of Islamic political militancy in the first period of religious reformism were the rise of the Wahhabis in Arabia, the Sanusi in Cyrenaica, the Fulani in Nigeria, the Mahdi in the Sudan, and - not parallel

(B) Manifestations of Islamic political militancy in the first period of religious reformism were shown in the rise of the Wahhabis in Arabia, the Sanusi in Cyrenaica, the Fulani in Nigeria, the Mahdi in the Sudan, and also - not parallel

(C) In the first period of religious reformism, manifestations of Islamic political militancy were the rise of the Wahhabis in Arabia, of the Sanusi in Cyrenaica, the Fulani in Nigeria, the Mahdi in the Sudan, and - not parallel

(D) In the first period of religious reformism, manifestations of Islamic political militancy were shown in the rise of the Wahhabis in Arabia, the Sanusi in Cyrenaica, the Fulani in Nigeria, the Mahdi in the Sudan, and - not parallel

(E) In the first period of religious reformism, Islamic political militancy was manifested in the rise of the Wahhabis in Arabia, the Sanusi in Cyrenaica, the Fulani in Nigeria, and the Mahdi in the Sudan, and in - correct
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 500 Q45 V16
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 10

Re: Manifestations of Islamic political militancy [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2010, 09:17
yea. E for me. parallerlism for 'in'
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 94 [1] , given: 10

Re: Manifestations of Islamic political militancy [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 11:57
This post received
KUDOS
well, only reading is enough to solve this question. All options are awkward except Option E. therefore answer is E

Also Option A, B,C,D all contains "manifestations were of" which is a wrong use.

Check this link

http://www.rupeemail.com/rupeemail/invite.do?in=NzYxOTkxJSMlRzF0NGJKQnllT1kzVmRmbTVBb2tLZ1Q4RA==

http://www.rupeemail.com/rupeemail/pages/rupeemail/images/joinImage.gif

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Other)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 23

Reviews Badge
Re: Manifestations of Islamic political militancy [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2011, 07:45
In the first period of religious reformism- correctly modifies "Islamic political militancy" in E. Other options have basic modifier problem. Heck of a long question!

My GMAT Journey 540->680->730!

~ When the going gets tough, the Tough gets going!

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1698 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Manifestations of Islamic political militancy [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2011, 08:58
Expert's post
The most important thing note in this topic is the use of ‘and’ in a list or series parallelism case as this.

There are two effects of the manifestations i.e. 1. The rise 2. The victory. Both are two independedrt factors and each has to maintain its norms of list //ism. The rise has four arms, namely the Wahabis, the Sansui, the Fulani and then the fourth and the last one the Mahdi, which has to be conjugated with “a comma + and ”. If you closely watch, only E uses “the comma and the and” after the Fulani in Nigeria and that is the reason it is the answer.

The second factor ‘the victory’ is an independent one, and after all a rise is different from a victory and it has to be again separated by ‘an and’

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Manifestations of Islamic political militancy in the first [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2012, 05:55
The answer is definitely E...... :-D
SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Manifestations of Islamic political militancy in the first [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2014, 12:30
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Manifestations of Islamic political militancy in the first   [#permalink] 22 Apr 2014, 12:30