Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 04:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Mannis corporation's archival records are stored in an

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 33 [1] , given: 21

Mannis corporation's archival records are stored in an [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 17:28
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

81% (02:20) correct 19% (01:23) wrong based on 91 sessions
Mannis corporation's archival records are stored in an obsolete format that is accessible only by its current compute system; thus they are inaccessible when that system is not functioning properly . In order to avoid the possibility of losing access to their archival records in the case of computer malfunction, Mannis plans to replace its current computer system with a new system that stores records in a format that is accessible to several different systems.

The answer to which of the following questions would be most helpful in evaluating the effectiveness of the plan as a means of retaining access to the archival records.

A. Will the new computer systems require fewer operators than current system requires?

B. Has Mannis Corp alwayes stored its archival records in a computerized format?

C. Will the new computer system that Mannis plans to implement ensure greater security for the records systems than does Mannis' current system?

D. Will Mannis' current collection of archival records be readily transferable to the new computer system ?

E. Will the new computer system be able to perform many more tasks than the current system is able to perform?

[Reveal] Spoiler:
D
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by jgomey on 23 Jan 2013, 14:04, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Followers: 310

Kudos [?]: 2605 [0], given: 696

Re: Mannis Corporation's archival records are stored [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 04:16
Expert's post
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 21

Re: Mannis Corporation's archival records are stored [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 15:50
carcass wrote:
I feel it's C

B is tempting but even if the company doesn't store the new data in a computer format then the problem of the old system is not solved

I fell for the same trap.But if you negate Answer choice D, the argument does fall apart.

The obsolete format IS NOT TRANSFERABLE to a new system, therefore, the proposed plan will not work.
Expert Post

Re: Mannis Corporation's archival records are stored [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 16:12
Expert's post
jgomey wrote:
carcass wrote:
I feel it's C

B is tempting but even if the company doesn't store the new data in a computer format then the problem of the old system is not solved

I fell for the same trap.But if you negate Answer choice D, the argument does fall apart.

The obsolete format IS NOT TRANSFERABLE to a new system, therefore, the proposed plan will not work.

wait a second dude the argument fall apart is something different from evaluate the argument. Because the first one is the strategy used in assumption question.

Here we have to evaluate the argment so we have to strenght and weaken the argument conclusion at the same time. be careful

Conclusion: Mannis plans to replace its current computer system with a new system that stores records in a format that is accessible to several different systems.

If the new PCs are a mega mainframe Matrix -like ok we have to do that as oon as possible. But if we know that we do not have the possibility to have a new server farm what are we weakening ?? for sure we still have the problem of data loss.......

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 21

Re: Mannis Corporation's archival records are stored [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 16:24
My Bad. You are correct.

Nevertheless, the transferability issue can strengthen or weaken. For example, The data CANNOT be transferred to new systems>>>Argument is weakened. On the other hand, the data CAN be transferred >>> Argument is strengthened.

My point earlier was that the transferability of the data is a possible assumption, which can either strengthen or weaken the argument.

What do you think?
Expert Post

Re: Mannis Corporation's archival records are stored [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 17:06
Expert's post
Ok man I'm trying to really understand the argument at end and playing hard

Few facts: evaluate the argument strenght and weaken the argument at the same time. Strenght do not destroy the conclusion as weel as weaken.

Now if I can't transfer the data we assume that we do not need to transfer them and our PCs work fine; but this sort of inference in my opinion go completely against the argument that we know saying that computer now or tomorrow or next century will fail.

now look at this question what is your choice

Quote:
With less than 20 per cent market share, Cherico Airline has been steadily losing ground to other
competing airlines. However, the recent addition of the Dreamliner aircraft to its fleet might just
turn the tide for Cherico. The Dreamliner claims 15 per cent more fuel efficiency than competing
similar aircrafts and cheaper maintenance costs. With the induction of these planes, Cherico will
get a competitive advantage over its more aggressive rivals, which will be saddled with older
aircrafts and get deliveries of their own Dreamliners only in 2014.

Which of the following would it be most useful to determine in order to evaluate the argument?

(A) Whether it is possible for Cherico to cut costs even more by reducing the number of
stewards in the air plane

(B) Whether it is possible for Cherico to improve the Dreamliner’s fuel efficiency even further by
restricting the amount of luggage passengers can carry

(C) Whether Cherico can increase its revenues by charging for the meals it serves in its aircrafts

(D) Whether the Dreamliner’s maintenance costs will be substantially lower than those of
Cherico’s rivals’ aircrafts

(E) Whether it will be possible for Cherico’s rivals to somehow get deliveries of their own
Dreamliners expedited

I'm assuming, in addition, that our question is official material and the answer is D

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [1] , given: 21

Re: Mannis Corporation's archival records are stored [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 17:44
This post received
KUDOS
carcass wrote:
Ok man I'm trying to really understand the argument at end and playing hard

Few facts: evaluate the argument strenght and weaken the argument at the same time. Strenght do not destroy the conclusion as weel as weaken.

Now if I can't transfer the data we assume that we do not need to transfer them and our PCs work fine; but this sort of inference in my opinion go completely against the argument that we know saying that computer now or tomorrow or next century will fail.

now look at this question what is your choice

Quote:
With less than 20 per cent market share, Cherico Airline has been steadily losing ground to other
competing airlines. However, the recent addition of the Dreamliner aircraft to its fleet might just
turn the tide for Cherico. The Dreamliner claims 15 per cent more fuel efficiency than competing
similar aircrafts and cheaper maintenance costs. With the induction of these planes, Cherico will
get a competitive advantage over its more aggressive rivals, which will be saddled with older
aircrafts and get deliveries of their own Dreamliners only in 2014.

Which of the following would it be most useful to determine in order to evaluate the argument?

(A) Whether it is possible for Cherico to cut costs even more by reducing the number of
stewards in the air plane

(B) Whether it is possible for Cherico to improve the Dreamliner’s fuel efficiency even further by
restricting the amount of luggage passengers can carry

(C) Whether Cherico can increase its revenues by charging for the meals it serves in its aircrafts

(D) Whether the Dreamliner’s maintenance costs will be substantially lower than those of
Cherico’s rivals’ aircrafts

(E) Whether it will be possible for Cherico’s rivals to somehow get deliveries of their own
Dreamliners expedited

I'm assuming, in addition, that our question is official material and the answer is D

Ok. I will go with C as the answer to the question you listed *crossing my fingers*

Let me know If I am right.

So back to the original question.

The issue ,IMO, is that the antiquated archive format is only on 1 system, SO if that systems fails, the company is screwed and will no longer have access to the data.

To hedge against such an event, they will place the information on a new system that can be accessed by multiple terminals. So if one terminal fails, the data can be accessed from another terminal.

STOP!!!

We are assuming that the antiquated format CAN be transferred to the new system, which CAN be accessed by multiple terminals.

What if the data cannot be transferred? If such is the case, then the proposal makes no sense, and should not move forward.

But

What if the data CAN be transferred? If such is the case, the proposal does make sense, and should move forward.

Bottom line, the transferability of the antiquated format is a deal breaker..

What are your thoughts?
Expert Post

Re: Mannis Corporation's archival records are stored [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 03:27
Expert's post
Re: Mannis Corporation's archival records are stored   [#permalink] 24 Jan 2013, 03:27