Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 06:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Manufacturers of mechanical pencils make most of the profit

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Manufacturers of mechanical pencils make most of the profit [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2007, 04:22
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

42% (02:24) correct 58% (01:12) wrong based on 22 sessions
Manufacturers of mechanical pencils make most of the profit on pencil leads rather than on the pencils themselves. The Write Company, which cannot sell its leads as cheaply as other manufacturers can, plans to alter the design of its mechanical pencil so that it will accept only a new designed Write Company lead, which will be sold at the same price as the Write Company's current lead.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the Write Company's projection that its plan will lead to an increase in its sales of pencil leads?

(A) First-time buyers of mechanical pencils tend to buy the least expensive mechanical pencils available.

(B) Annual sales of mechanical pencils are expected to triple over the next five years.

(C) A Write Company executive is studyiing ways to reduce the cost of manufacturing pencil leads.

(D) A rival manufacturer recently announced similar plans to introduce a mechanical pencil that would accept only the leads produced by that manufacturer.

(E) In extensive test marketing, mechanical-pencil users found the new Write Company pencil markedly superior to other mechanical pencils they had used.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2007, 05:19
The assumption is that people will buy more of the new pencil type in the future. (E) gives a reason why more people would buy the new Wright pencil.

(B) is tempting but it doesn't offer any information regarding Wright pencils and there is no reason to assume that Wright sales will increase with the market.
Director
Director
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2007, 01:53
Very weakly worded question. Where did you find this one?

The underlying assumption is that most people buy this particular mechanical pencil..... A-D have nothing to do with that. E addresses it directly, although it's not 100% as just because it's a superiour car, doesn't mean most people buy it etc...... ie a Ferrari is a superiour car, or a Lamborghini, but most people can't afford it =P
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2007, 09:15
StartupAddict wrote:
Very weakly worded question. Where did you find this one?

The underlying assumption is that most people buy this particular mechanical pencil..... A-D have nothing to do with that. E addresses it directly, although it's not 100% as just because it's a superiour car, doesn't mean most people buy it etc...... ie a Ferrari is a superiour car, or a Lamborghini, but most people can't afford it =P

LSAT from 1000 CR.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2007, 10:01
I go with answer E ...
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: CR - Manufacturers of pencils [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 19:31
This question can be found in GMATPrep>Practice Content>Review Questions>Q.14

I agree that just because a product is superior doesn't guarantee an increase in sales. You could just as easily argue that if the market for mechanical pencils expands, assuming market share is constant, then there will be an increase in sales as in B.

For these reasons, I believe that the question is poorly written.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1029

Kudos [?]: 4480 [1] , given: 162

Re: CR - Manufacturers of pencils [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 09:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
artistocrat wrote:
This question can be found in GMATPrep>Practice Content>Review Questions>Q.14

I agree that just because a product is superior doesn't guarantee an increase in sales. You could just as easily argue that if the market for mechanical pencils expands, assuming market share is constant, then there will be an increase in sales as in B.

For these reasons, I believe that the question is poorly written.

Yes, I do agree with you. The product, though superior is more expensive. So there is no guarantee that its sales will increase. Also, in its own way, even B strengthens the argument. If overall sales increase, there is a good chance that this company's sales will also increase.

But, if you need to make the best of a given question, it would be good to note that E strengthens the argument more than B. B gives you an outside factor that could increase the sales. E is an inherent quality of the product that could increase sales.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton..:)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Manufacturers of pencils [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 10:11
Yes, I do agree with you. The product, though superior is more expensive. So there is no guarantee that its sales will increase. Also, in its own way, even B strengthens the argument. If overall sales increase, there is a good chance that this company's sales will also increase.

But, if you need to make the best of a given question, it would be good to note that E strengthens the argument more than B. B gives you an outside factor that could increase the sales. E is an inherent quality of the product that could increase sales.

nice explanation ..+1 to you..:)
also in B if sales triple may be the company metioned is not the one to be benifited , may be some other company
will sweep the market because of several reasons for ex lesser cost ,better quality etc..so clearly E wins..

" What [i] do is not beyond anybody else's competence"- warren buffett
My Gmat experience -http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-710-q-47-v-41-tips-for-non-natives-107086.html

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Manufacturers of pencils [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 11:22
What's the OA?

asaf wrote:
Manufacturers of mechanical pencils make most of the profit on pencil leads rather than on the pencils themselves. The Write Company, which cannot sell its leads as cheaply as other manufacturers can, plans to alter the design of its mechanical pencil so that it will accept only a new designed Write Company lead, which will be sold at the same price as the Write Company's current lead.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the Write Company's projection that its plan will lead to an increase in its sales of pencil leads?

(A) First-time buyers of mechanical pencils tend to buy the least expensive mechanical pencils available.

(B) Annual sales of mechanical pencils are expected to triple over the next five years.

(C) A Write Company executive is studyiing ways to reduce the cost of manufacturing pencil leads.

(D) A rival manufacturer recently announced similar plans to introduce a mechanical pencil that would accept only the leads produced by that manufacturer.

(E) In extensive test marketing, mechanical-pencil users found the new Write Company pencil markedly superior to other mechanical pencils they had used.
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 4480 [0], given: 162

Re: CR - Manufacturers of pencils [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 12:44
Expert's post
OA is (E).

USCTrojan2006 wrote:
What's the OA?

asaf wrote:

Karishma
My Blog

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 37

Re: CR - Manufacturers of pencils [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 19:06
Like Karishma stated, E seems to be better than B...
So I chose E.

Thanks,
VP

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 7

Re: CR - Manufacturers of pencils [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 22:38
I believe the argument says the lead is more expensive but not mechanical pencil itself is more expensive. The argument has to do with selling more pencils through which more lead would be sold at a more expensive price. E suggests more pencils will be sold because they are superior (not more expensive), hence leading to an increase in pencil lead sold.

akshathbs wrote:

nice explanation ..+1 to you..:)
also in B if sales triple may be the company metioned is not the one to be benifited , may be some other company
will sweep the market because of several reasons for ex lesser cost ,better quality etc..so clearly E wins..
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 4480 [0], given: 162

Re: CR - Manufacturers of pencils [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2010, 04:41
Expert's post
gettinit wrote:
I believe the argument says the lead is more expensive but not mechanical pencil itself is more expensive. The argument has to do with selling more pencils through which more lead would be sold at a more expensive price. E suggests more pencils will be sold because they are superior (not more expensive), hence leading to an increase in pencil lead sold.

I do agree with you. The argument does say that the company's lead is more expensive than the pencil. But it is a matter of interpretation. Using the pencil will be more expensive than using some other pencil because it will take only the expensive lead. e.g. if you go to buy a humidifier, you will check out the cost of its filter too before you buy it since you will need to regularly replace it. If the humidifier is the same cost as others but the filter is more expensive, using that particular humidifier becomes more expensive. Hence, effectively their product, the new mechanical pencil, is going to be more expensive than others (assuming the cost of the pencil itself is similar to others). Since they are superior, they have a better chance of experiencing higher sales, nevertheless.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: CR - Manufacturers of pencils   [#permalink] 03 Dec 2010, 04:41