Joined: 17 Jun 2011
, given: 0
Manufacturing Eng w/ Haphazard Path [#permalink]
13 Dec 2011, 09:27
Given the lack of success thus far, I'm curious if anyone has any advice, suggested resources, etc. to help me put together stronger future applications. My R1 applications were rushed (took GMAT Aug 20th, started R1 applications immediately without much research). I feel my story/profile is unusual and it's difficult to tell it completely in the applications, and coming from a non-traditional MBA feeder career, finding a mentor or guidance for the application process has been a struggle.
- 3 years full-time in Healthcare Products operations (2 year rotational development program (4 positions), 1 year in my current position) with aspirations to move into business development/corporate strategy and then into VC, investing in and developing medical device start-ups
- First-generation college graduate
- Low GPA (~ 3.08) in Mechanical Engineering, Big Ten. Low GPA can be attributed to loss of interest in engineering each year and working 15-20 hours/week throughout college. Also completed minor in business coursework.
- 2 internships and 2 co-ops while in college in three different industries (environmental services, small engine design, and then medical devices). Caused my UG to span over 5.5 calendar years.
- Transferred schools after freshman year (Freshman GPA was ~ 3.7)
- Involved in a variety of ECs during and after college but not many substantial involvements (i.e. quantity over quality)
- 26 y/o, 740 GMAT
I'm unsure how adcom are viewing my profile given my lower GPA, my unusual career experiences and short-term positions, and my extended stay in UG.
I was WL at HBS w/o interview, ding at Kellog, and am waiting to hear back from GSB (not confident). Submitted Haas and plan to submit Booth R2, which is my last shot this year. I feel I have a strong profile (maybe I'm overconfident?) but feel like I'm not selling myself enough.
The forum has been a good resource thus far and was hoping to gain advice for future applications and what steps I can take to build my profile for re-application if it becomes necessary?
Thank you everyone!