Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 19:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Many banks have a drive-through automated teller machine,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 591 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Many banks have a drive-through automated teller machine, [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 09:02
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (02:02) correct 34% (00:58) wrong based on 148 sessions
Many banks have a drive-through automated teller machine, built into the wall flanking the driver's side of a narrow aisle. Even though blind people obviously do not drive, these machines nonetheless invariably feature Braille – the system of raised dots used by the blind for reading and writing – in addition to the standard letters and numerals on their control panels.

Which of the following, if true, does the most to explain the situation described?

a)In most automobiles, the rear windows on the driver's side only roll down about halfway.
b)Moderately visually impaired people who are still allowed to drive typically do not use Braille to read or write.
c)Blind people can often read Braille just as quickly and accurately as sighted people can read regular writing.
d)The embossing technique used to form the raised dots does not typically add much to the overall cost of the automated teller machine.
e)In order to maximize profits per unit, manufacturers produce only a single model of automated teller machine.

This has been the strangest question ever faced by me.

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Let us first have some discussion on it.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1075

Kudos [?]: 4790 [4] , given: 163

Re: Braille ATMs [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 22:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Marcab wrote:
Many banks have a drive-through automated teller machine, built into the wall flanking the driver's side of a narrow aisle. Even though blind people obviously do not drive, these machines nonetheless invariably feature Braille – the system of raised dots used by the blind for reading and writing – in addition to the standard letters and numerals on their control panels.

Which of the following, if true, does the most to explain the situation described?

a)In most automobiles, the rear windows on the driver's side only roll down about halfway.
b)Moderately visually impaired people who are still allowed to drive typically do not use Braille to read or write.
c)Blind people can often read Braille just as quickly and accurately as sighted people can read regular writing.
d)The embossing technique used to form the raised dots does not typically add much to the overall cost of the automated teller machine.
e)In order to maximize profits per unit, manufacturers produce only a single model of automated teller machine.

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:

It's a resolve the paradox question and honestly, not very tough if you are quick to connect things from your life together.
What is the paradox?
- Most banks have drive-thru ATMs - you take your car next to the ATM and only the driver's side can access the machine since there is no space for someone to open the door and get down from the car.
- These ATMs feature Braille.

Now obviously, blind people do not drive so why do these ATMs feature Braille? Let's find out what can explain this.

This implies that people sitting behind the driver's seat also cannot access the ATM i.e. only the driver can access the ATM machine. This doesn't help resolve the paradox.

If people who are allowed to drive do not use Braille, then we are back at the paradox - why is Braille featured on these ATMs?

Irrelevant to the argument.

Even if a feature doesn't add much to the cost, why would you add it if it has no value? Just because something is cheap, you don't buy it if it is useless for you. If you wear size 6, you won't buy a size 16 just because it is available at 50% off until and unless you are planning to gift to a friend i.e. it has some value for you. Hence, it doesn't help resolve the paradox. It doesn't tell you why Braille is featured at a place where it has no use.

Doesn't this remind you of something you see on a daily basis? Cars! If you notice, all models of cars except the highest one has blank buttons i.e. buttons that don't do anything. Ever wondered why? Because car manufacturers make one standard interiors model. They have to put buttons for all the features given in the highest end model. In the lower models, you get blank buttons since some features are missing in them. This is the same concept. To maximize profit, only one model of ATMs is made. Braille has to be featured on other ATMs which are not drive through because they are accessed by blind people. Hence all ATMs feature Braille whether they are put in drive thrus or in regular kiosks. This resolves our paradox.

Answer (E)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 657 [1] , given: 116

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Braille ATMs [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 10:46
This post received
KUDOS

a)In most automobiles, the rear windows on the driver's side only roll down about halfway. Clearly out of scope.
b)Moderately visually impaired people who are still allowed to drive typically do not use Braille to read or write. This statement throws the situation into further confusion. If people whom one might imagine to be drivers as well as poor sighted do not use braille then why is it there??
c)Blind people can often read Braille just as quickly and accurately as sighted people can read regular writing.Does not provide an explanation for why a machine meant for car drivers has braille lettering.
d)The embossing technique used to form the raised dots does not typically add much to the overall cost of the automated teller machine.This option seems to address the point. However, just the fact that they cost the same to manufacture does not explain why they have fitted ATM machines with braille lettering at a place meant for car drivers.
e)In order to maximize profits per unit, manufacturers produce only a single model of automated teller machine. IMO. This clearly addresses the point. If there is only a single model in production then we have a reason for why there are machines with braille in a place meant for car drivers. Regardless of the location that the machines are going to be fitted at all machines will be having braille lettering. The "in order to maximize profits" part is irrelevant.

Kudos Please... If my post helped.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 4790 [1] , given: 163

Re: Braille ATMs [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 20:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Sachin9 wrote:

Hi Karishma,
I chose A as well.. I actually thought that since windows roll down atleast halfway, you could reach the buttons..

The wording should make you aware of a trap. 'windows roll down ONLY half way...'. It kind of implies that the ATM isn't exactly within reach of a person sitting next to the rear window on the driver's side.

If the logic were that blind people sitting behind the driver need to operate, the option would have said something like 'the ATM can be easily accessed by the person sitting next to the rear window on the driver's side'

I hope the correct option makes sense now.

Karishma
My Blog

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 657 [0], given: 116

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Braille ATMs [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 09:43
I agree... Quite a tough one as well.. But I would go with E. This option does the best to explain why a drive thru atm would have braille letters.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Braille ATMs [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 09:52
Expert's post
MacFauz wrote:
I agree... Quite a tough one as well.. But I would go with E. This option does the best to explain why a drive thru atm would have braille letters.

Can you please explain your choice?
I got this one wrong and thus want to evaluate each and every choice.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Braille ATMs [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 23:02
Expert's post
Hey Karishma.
Thanks for the fantastic example. Undertood even the roots of the question.
In fact I chose A, because I thought that since, driver side rear windows roll down to halfway only, therefore the passenger may not be ale to see very clearly and hence using the Braille, can access the ATM.
Did I assumed a lot?

Rules For Posting

Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 4790 [0], given: 163

Re: Braille ATMs [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 23:40
Expert's post
Marcab wrote:
Hey Karishma.
In fact I chose A, because I thought that since, driver side rear windows roll down to halfway only, therefore the passenger may not be ale to see very clearly and hence using the Braille, can access the ATM.
Did I assumed a lot?

There was a gap in understanding. To use Braille, you need to use the same buttons as used by regular people. Since windows roll down only half way, you can't reach the buttons.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: Braille ATMs [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 03:38
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Marcab wrote:
Hey Karishma.
Did I assumed a lot?

There was a gap in understanding. To use Braille, you need to use the same buttons as used by regular people. Since windows roll down only half way, you can't reach the buttons.

Hi Karishma,
I chose A as well.. I actually thought that since windows roll down atleast halfway, you could reach the buttons..

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 21

Re: Many banks have a drive-through automated teller machine, [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 22:47
Marcab wrote:

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Sweet Question. So here is MO about the paradox.

Drive through has a ATM with braille, but why would you need an ATM with braille. A blind driver cannot drive, so why bother putting in an ATM to accommodate him or her?

The answer I formulated was as follows:

Most of the drivers that pass through the drive up ATM, do not actually use it, the passenger sitting behind the driver uses it, and just so happens to be blind

I know that sounds crazy, but that was my formulated answer.

My choice was E. There was another reason other than usefulness that caused the banks decision to use that ATM-it was the only ATM manufactured.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 21

Re: Braille ATMs [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 23:03
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Sachin9 wrote:

Hi Karishma,

The wording should make you aware of a trap. 'windows roll down ONLY half way...'. It kind of implies that the ATM isn't exactly within reach of a person sitting next to the rear window on the driver's side.

If the logic were that blind people sitting behind the driver need to operate, the option would have said something like 'the ATM can be easily accessed by the person sitting next to the rear window on the driver's side'

I hope the correct option makes sense now.

Wow. So I am not crazy for thinking that way-cool!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 230

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Many banks have a drive-through automated teller machine, [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2014, 01:05
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Many banks have a drive-through automated teller machine,   [#permalink] 12 Apr 2014, 01:05