Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 20:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Many companies have recently required their employees to pay

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 589
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 291 [1] , given: 20

Many companies have recently required their employees to pay [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2012, 03:20
1
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (02:37) correct 32% (01:35) wrong based on 174 sessions
Many companies have recently required their employees to pay an increasing percentage of the cost of health
insurance premiums. On average, the companies that instituted this change reported an 11 percent increase in
profits for the last fiscal year.

If, on the basis of the evidence above, it is argued that increasing the portion of health insurance costs
paid directly by employees increased a company's profitability, which of the following, if true, would most seriously
weaken that argument?

A: The increased cost of health insurance premiums at some companies led highly skilled employees of those
companies to move to competing firms with lower health costs.
B: Companies that have cut employee benefit costs in other areas such as retirement packages have also seen
increased profits.
C: Companies that increased the percentage of health insurance premiums paid directly by employees were just as
likely as other companies to give employees a raise during the last fiscal year.
D: Because employees often object to paying a large percentage of health insurance premiums, it can take a long time
to implement the changes.
E: On average, companies that did not increase the percentage of health insurance premiums paid by their employees
reported a 16 percent increase in profits for the last fiscal year.

why is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A
wrong?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Oct 2011
Posts: 225
Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 44

Re: Many companies have recently required their employees [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2012, 03:46
gmatbull wrote:
Many companies have recently required their employees to pay an increasing percentage of the cost of health
insurance premiums. On average, the companies that instituted this change reported an 11 percent increase in
profits for the last fiscal year.

If, on the basis of the evidence above, it is argued that increasing the portion of health insurance costs
paid directly by employees increased a company's profitability, which of the following, if true, would most seriously
weaken that argument?

A: The increased cost of health insurance premiums at some companies led highly skilled employees of those
companies to move to competing firms with lower health costs.
B: Companies that have cut employee benefit costs in other areas such as retirement packages have also seen
increased profits.
C: Companies that increased the percentage of health insurance premiums paid directly by employees were just as
likely as other companies to give employees a raise during the last fiscal year.
D: Because employees often object to paying a large percentage of health insurance premiums, it can take a long time
to implement the changes.
E: On average, companies that did not increase the percentage of health insurance premiums paid by their employees
reported a 16 percent increase in profits for the last fiscal year.

why is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A
wrong?



Oh i selected A!!!

I felt E seems to give another fact like stated in conclusion/premise..
How come this will weaken the argument????

:twisted:
_________________

GMAT - Practice, Patience, Persistence
Kudos if u like :)

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Sep 2008
Posts: 71
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 83

Reviews Badge
Re: Many companies have recently required their employees [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2012, 13:48
gmatbull wrote:
Many companies have recently required their employees to pay an increasing percentage of the cost of health
insurance premiums. On average, the companies that instituted this change reported an 11 percent increase in
profits for the last fiscal year.

If, on the basis of the evidence above, it is argued that increasing the portion of health insurance costs
paid directly by employees increased a company's profitability, which of the following, if true, would most seriously
weaken that argument?

A: The increased cost of health insurance premiums at some companies led highly skilled employees of those
companies to move to competing firms with lower health costs.
B: Companies that have cut employee benefit costs in other areas such as retirement packages have also seen
increased profits.
C: Companies that increased the percentage of health insurance premiums paid directly by employees were just as
likely as other companies to give employees a raise during the last fiscal year.
D: Because employees often object to paying a large percentage of health insurance premiums, it can take a long time
to implement the changes.
E: On average, companies that did not increase the percentage of health insurance premiums paid by their employees
reported a 16 percent increase in profits for the last fiscal year.

why is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A
wrong?


Losing talent is not the same as losing money. Hence it doesn't directly weaken the conclusion.

E is an example of effect happening (profit up) without cause (raising health insurance premiums) occurring.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Mar 2012
Posts: 9
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

Re: Many companies have recently required their employees [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2012, 00:37
Premise: many companies that reqd. employees to pay higher ins. premiums -> Those companies increased profits averaging 11%
Conclusion: Inc. premiums -> Profits

Task: Find an alternate reason that can lead to higher profits /or/ prove that substantial no. of companies that increased premiums didn't see inc. in profits

[A]: Some companies bla bla. The argument never said 'ALL' companies saw inc. in profits. Also, the argument is concerned only about premuims paid by employees regardless they are highly skilled or not.
[B]: Good for those companies! No bearing on the conclusion.
[C]: Giving a likely raise to employees has no bearing on profits. If you are thinking that giving out money to employees will decrease the profit/revenue, then you're thinking too far!
[D]: The event in the argument has already occured. This option states what 'can' happen. OUT
[E]: This states that ins. premiums paid are not the cause of profits, if anything, ins. premiums paid marginally decrease avg. profits (11% v/s 16% avg. profits).

IMO, E wins!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2012
Posts: 15
Location: United States
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GPA: 3.67
WE: Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Many companies have recently required their employees [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 06:02
Doh! I selected A without reading all of the options properly. Let that be a lesson to me...
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2013
Posts: 31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 27

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Many companies have recently required their employees [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2013, 05:07
adityag85 wrote:
Premise: many companies that reqd. employees to pay higher ins. premiums -> Those companies increased profits averaging 11%
Conclusion: Inc. premiums -> Profits

Task: Find an alternate reason that can lead to higher profits /or/ prove that substantial no. of companies that increased premiums didn't see inc. in profits

[A]: Some companies bla bla. The argument never said 'ALL' companies saw inc. in profits. Also, the argument is concerned only about premuims paid by employees regardless they are highly skilled or not.
[B]: Good for those companies! No bearing on the conclusion.
[C]: Giving a likely raise to employees has no bearing on profits. If you are thinking that giving out money to employees will decrease the profit/revenue, then you're thinking too far!
[D]: The event in the argument has already occured. This option states what 'can' happen. OUT
[E]: This states that ins. premiums paid are not the cause of profits, if anything, ins. premiums paid marginally decrease avg. profits (11% v/s 16% avg. profits).

IMO, E wins!


can someone please explain why d is wrong it says implementing will take time so even if companies increased the premium it is yet not implemented and therefore the profits can not be attributed to premium increase "
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Representative
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2012
Posts: 346
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 140

Kudos [?]: 186 [1] , given: 4

Re: Many companies have recently required their employees to pay [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2013, 05:39
1
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

D is wrong because it confuses time frames....

The statement is that for companies that have made the change Profits are up by 11%.

D is talking about the timeframe. This is irrelevant for the purposes of our argument, as in the example we are given the change has already happened.

Also - think about the question it is 'most seriously weakens' - that is clearly E. Even if the 'delay' was a factor, it would not be more serious than the problem posed by E.

James
_________________

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0



... and more

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2013
Posts: 31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 27

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Many companies have recently required their employees to pay [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2013, 06:24
plumber250 wrote:
Hi,

D is wrong because it confuses time frames....

The statement is that for companies that have made the change Profits are up by 11%.

D is talking about the timeframe. This is irrelevant for the purposes of our argument, as in the example we are given the change has already happened.

Also - think about the question it is 'most seriously weakens' - that is clearly E. Even if the 'delay' was a factor, it would not be more serious than the problem posed by E.

James


thanks James thanks for replying .....i got it now + 1 for you
Re: Many companies have recently required their employees to pay   [#permalink] 06 Oct 2013, 06:24
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Many companies now have employee assistance programs that fanatico 6 21 Mar 2011, 16:55
1 Many companies now have employee assistance programs that Richardson 10 21 Sep 2008, 06:29
Many companies now have employee assistance programs that spriya 2 08 Aug 2008, 10:36
Company policy requires that all project employees have only ajay_gmat 1 26 Jul 2007, 23:23
Many companies require that a resume received in TeHCM 9 20 Nov 2005, 16:33
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Many companies have recently required their employees to pay

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.