Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 06:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Many companies in the pollution control industry, which

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Many companies in the pollution control industry, which [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2011, 19:58
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

78% (01:47) correct 22% (00:50) wrong based on 91 sessions
3. Many companies in the pollution control industry, which until a few years ago has prospered on account of a national concern for environmental controls, has recently experienced sharp drops in sales and profits.

a. until a few years ago has prospered on account of a national concern for environmental controls, has
b. up until a few years ago, when prospering on account of a national concern for environmental controls, have
c. until a few yeas ago was propsering because of a national concern for environmental controls,have
d. up until a few yeards ago have prospered because of a national concern for environmental control,has
e. until a few years ago had prospered because of a national concern for environmental controls, has
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Pls help - Q3 [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2011, 22:19
C for me.

Here is my logic.

First there is a SVA issue. Companies in the pollution control industry....have recently experienced.. So it needs to be have instead of has - this eliminates A, D, and E.

We read choice b and see that when prospering is incorrect - should be was prospering to be in SVA with the sentence. So that leaves us with only C.

Hope that helps.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 47

Re: SC - Pls help - Q3 [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2011, 04:18
u0422811 wrote:
C for me.

Here is my logic.

First there is a SVA issue. Companies in the pollution control industry....have recently experienced.. So it needs to be have instead of has - this eliminates A, D, and E.

We read choice b and see that when prospering is incorrect - should be was prospering to be in SVA with the sentence. So that leaves us with only C.

Hope that helps.

The first logic is correct ie the options will end with 'have'.
But for SVA shouldnt it be 'many companies...were prospering...'? IMO the option doesnt match up.
Am I right?
Also, where is this question from?

Posted from my mobile device Image

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate :
I am the captain of my soul.
~ William Ernest Henley

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: SC - Pls help - Q3 [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2011, 06:21
Hope that helps.[/quote]
But for SVA shouldnt it be 'many companies...were prospering...'? IMO the option doesnt match up.
Am I right?

Posted from my mobile device Image[/quote]

This is where i also got confused. Seems like the 'were prospering' modifier is for the industry. It wasn't intuitive or explicit.

I got these questions from the Jamboree question bank
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Pls help - Q3 [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2011, 07:56
fivedaysleft wrote:
u0422811 wrote:
C for me.

Here is my logic.

Hope that helps.

Am I right?

Posted from my mobile device Image

Which makes the remainder of "until a few years ago...." refer to the industry not the companies. So it should be the industry was prospering not the industry were prospering.

Make sense?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GRE 1: 1140 Q670 V370

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 7

Re: SC - Pls help - Q3 [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2012, 06:56
This post received
KUDOS
3. Many companies in the pollution control industry, which until a few years ago has prospered on account of a national concern for environmental controls, has recently experienced sharp drops in sales and profits.

a. until a few years ago has prospered on account of a national concern for environmental controls, has {need plural for companies}

b. up until a few years ago, when {When is used in reference to a specific time not a period}prospering on account of a national concern for environmental controls, have

c. until a few yeas ago was {correct use of was} propsering because of a national concern for environmental controls,have {Correct use of have}
d. up until a few yeards ago have prospered because of a national concern for environmental control,has {need plural for companies}

e. until a few years ago had prospered because of a national concern for environmental controls, has {need plural for companies}

Consider a kudos if you like my answer

Difficult things take a long time. impossible things take a little longer

Thanks for reading my post Kudos to me if you like my response:)

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.7
WE: Account Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 4

Re: SC - Pls help - Q3 [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2012, 21:31
Subject-verb agreement
and thank you hinkin
when {When is used in reference to a specific time not a period}

DETERMINED TO BREAK 700!!!

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1599 [0], given: 249

Re: SC - Pls help - Q3 [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2012, 01:15
Expert's post
IMO, this is not a valid example . It is just not about SVA alone but there is also an element of comparison in it. In the original, we are comparing performance of the industry until few year’s ago with the performance of the companies recently. This shift of object is illogical. Per se, logically speaking, the companies, the subject of the clause, do two functions; first, they did well earlier and then have not not so well recently. If we mean to describe the industry’s profits, thenwe can straight away start with the industry, dropping the reference to the company’s altogether.

IMO, this is a faulty topic and no choice is tenable

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 26

Re: SC - Pls help - Q3 [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2012, 23:53
Many companies in the pollution control industry, which until a few years ago has prospered on account of a national concern for environmental controls, has recently experienced sharp drops in sales and profits.

plural subj needs plural verb

the modifier is more clear here
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GRE 1: 2170 Q800 V700
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 15

Re: SC - Pls help - Q3 [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 05:55
hi bibli, what is the source of this qn?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Many companies in the pollution control industry, which [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2013, 11:53
Many companies in the pollution control industry, which until a few years ago has prospered on account of a national concern for environmental controls, has recently experienced sharp drops in sales and profits.

In above the c answers the question correctly. SVA issue leaves us with just B and C. Out of the two C is correct since the was refers to singular Pollution Control industry and have correctly refers back to Many Companies.

Bibli wrote:

a. until a few years ago has prospered on account of a national concern for environmental controls, has
b. up until a few years ago, when prospering on account of a national concern for environmental controls, have
c. until a few yeas ago was propsering because of a national concern for environmental controls,have
d. up until a few yeards ago have prospered because of a national concern for environmental control,has
e. until a few years ago had prospered because of a national concern for environmental controls, has
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 59

GMAT Tests User
Re: Many companies in the pollution control industry, which [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2013, 12:00
Bibli wrote:

Answer C

Choice A - SVA error
Choice B - Up until incorrect usage
Choice C - Correct usage of both verbs
Choice D - Up until incorrect usage
Choice E - incorrect verb

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Re: Many companies in the pollution control industry, which   [#permalink] 03 Mar 2013, 12:00