Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 22:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Many consumers are concerned about the ecological effects of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 69 [1] , given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Many consumers are concerned about the ecological effects of [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 11:33
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

53% (02:25) correct 47% (01:29) wrong based on 188 sessions
Many consumers are concerned about the ecological
effects of wasteful packaging. This concern probably
explains why stores have been quick to stock new
cleaning products that have been produced in a con-
centrated form. The concentrated form is packaged in
smaller containers that use less plastic and require
less transportation space.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously under-
mines the explanation offered above?
(A) Few consumers believe that containers of con-
centrated cleaning products are merely small
packages of regular cleaning products.
(B) The containers in which concentrated cleaning
products are packaged are no harder to recycle
than those in which regular cleaning products
are packaged.
(C) Those concentrated cleaning products that are
intended to be used diluted have clear instruc-
tions for dilution printed on their labels.
(D) The smaller containers of concentrated cleaning
products enable supermarkets and drugstores to
increase their revenues from a given shelf
space.
(E) Consumer pressure has led to the elimination of
wasteful cardboard packaging that was used for
compact discs.

Can anyone help me to understand this type of question. I am having some trouble attacking the question type.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Verbal:new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ajit

3 KUDOS received
Knewton GMAT Instructor
Schools: BA New School, PhD Candidate CUNY
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 50 [3] , given: 0

Re: Many consumers are concerned [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 14:41
This post received
KUDOS
This question would be categorized simply as a Weakener, but you're right that it's a bit unusual: we're not asked to weaken some traditional conclusion such as a prediction or a proposal, but to undermine the "explanation."

In this sense, the real Conclusion of this Argument is the very beginning of the second sentence: "This concern probably explains...." That is, what we have to weaken is that the customer concern IS in fact the reason for the store's stocking decision.

To weaken this, we're going to show that customer concern IS NOT the reason -- that there is some other reason. (D) does this: It shows how another reason, saving money on storage space, and not customer concern, is present, and thus potentially the actual reason the store had in mind.

In fact, Alternate Causes are one of the most common right answer choices for Weaken, Flaw, and Paradox questions on CR, so it's a really good idea to get used to seeing them and selecting them with confidence.

--
Adam
GMAT Instructor
Knewton, Inc.

View Knewton's latest discount for GMAT Club members.

Expert Post
Followers: 245

Kudos [?]: 2104 [0], given: 680

Re: Many consumers are concerned [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 12:01
Expert's post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User
Re: Many consumers are concerned [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2011, 03:43
AdamKnewton wrote:
This question would be categorized simply as a Weakener, but you're right that it's a bit unusual: we're not asked to weaken some traditional conclusion such as a prediction or a proposal, but to undermine the "explanation."

In this sense, the real Conclusion of this Argument is the very beginning of the second sentence: "This concern probably explains...." That is, what we have to weaken is that the customer concern IS in fact the reason for the store's stocking decision.

To weaken this, we're going to show that customer concern IS NOT the reason -- that there is some other reason. (D) does this: It shows how another reason, saving money on storage space, and not customer concern, is present, and thus potentially the actual reason the store had in mind.

In fact, Alternate Causes are one of the most common right answer choices for Weaken, Flaw, and Paradox questions on CR, so it's a really good idea to get used to seeing them and selecting them with confidence.

What i believe is that the First line is the conclusion.
The author OBSERVES that
1)stores have been quick to stock new
cleaning products that have been produced in a con-
centrated form.
2)The concentrated form is packaged in
smaller containers that use less plastic and require
less transportation space.

The Autor then concludes that this must have been a result of consumer `s concern for the environment.

D weaken the conclusion by offering an alternate explanation for Author`s Observation

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Knewton GMAT Instructor
Schools: BA New School, PhD Candidate CUNY
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Re: Many consumers are concerned [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2011, 06:47
The first sentence is definitely not a conclusion: It is stated as a fact and is used to support the author's main argument that it serves as an explanation. The word "probably" indicates that the second sentence is something the author is trying to prove, and not taken as a given fact, thus making it a Conclusion and not Evidence. However, I agree with mundasingh that the correct answer provides an alternate explanation, a very common right answer choice in the GMAT.

--
Adam
GMAT Instructor
Knewton, Inc.

View Knewton's latest discount for GMAT Club members.

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User
Re: Many consumers are concerned [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2011, 01:55
AdamKnewton wrote:
The first sentence is definitely not a conclusion: It is stated as a fact and is used to support the author's main argument that it serves as an explanation. The word "probably" indicates that the second sentence is something the author is trying to prove, and not taken as a given fact, thus making it a Conclusion and not Evidence. However, I agree with mundasingh that the correct answer provides an alternate explanation, a very common right answer choice in the GMAT.

Hi Adam Thanks for replying.Thanks for reminding me that A Fact cant be a conclusion.This slipped off my mind.
I am trying my best to clarify my doubts .
A Conclusion is an Opinion.
Opinions cant be verified.
I read that A Fact can be Verified
The First Sentence is Many consumers are concerned about the ecological
effects of wasteful packaging

We cant verify this.We dont how many is Many Customers.We also cant verify that Many consumers are concerned abt the Ecology.This is the Opinion of the author.

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton,MIT, Tepper, Kelly,
WE 1: 7 years- Service Managament, poject Management, Business Consultant- Retail
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 22

Reviews Badge
Re: Many consumers are concerned about the ecological effects of [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2013, 23:39
Nice explanation. I failed to separate the explanation which needs to be attacked.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 05-01-2014
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 33

Re: Many consumers are concerned [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2014, 11:12
AdamKnewton wrote:

Really super duper!!!! i took more than 3 mins and re-read whole options...and chose wrong one.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 43

Re: Many consumers are concerned about the ecological effects of [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2014, 04:21
Many consumers are concerned about the ecological effects of wasteful packaging.This concern probably explains why stores have been quick to stock new cleaning products that have been produced in a concentrated form. The concentrated form is packaged in smaller containers that use less plastic and require less transportation space.

IF A GIVEN PACKAGING IS SMALLER BUT IS STOCKED FULLY IN SAME SHELF SPACE AND HAS INCREASED REVENUE..... MEANS HIGHER RECYCLING..... THEN EVEN IF INDIVIDUAL PACKAGE MAY HAVE LESS PLASTIC....THE OVERALL ENVIRONMENTAL USE AND EFFECT WILL REMAIN SAME OR INCREASE....

Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the explanation offered above?

(D) The smaller containers of concentrated cleaning products enable supermarkets and drugstores to increase their revenues from a given shelf space...........CORRECT................
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.82

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 72

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Many consumers are concerned about the ecological effects of [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2014, 10:35
Is this question is poorly worded???

Regards,
Rrsnathan
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 5

Re: Many consumers are concerned about the ecological effects of [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2014, 14:58
rrsnathan wrote:
Is this question is poorly worded???

Regards,
Rrsnathan

I appears as good grammar. Even if the question is poorly worded, the reason stays the same; more so, we should always expect the stimulus to be worded poorly or at least trickily. We need to find a statement that seriously disrupts the argument. The cause is that consumers require eco-friendly product; the effect is that grocers are stocking smaller products. In order to undermine a statement, one of the following must be present:
1. Find an alternative effect.
2. Show when the cause happens, the effect doesn't.
3. Show when the effect happens, the cause doesn't.
4. Reverse the relationship.
5. Undermine the data.

A little kudos never hurt anyone. :)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 10

Re: Many consumers are concerned about the ecological effects of [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2014, 16:06
semwal wrote:
Many consumers are concerned about the ecological effects of wasteful packaging.This concern probably explains why stores have been quick to stock new cleaning products that have been produced in a concentrated form. The concentrated form is packaged in smaller containers that use less plastic and require less transportation space.

IF A GIVEN PACKAGING IS SMALLER BUT IS STOCKED FULLY IN SAME SHELF SPACE AND HAS INCREASED REVENUE..... MEANS HIGHER RECYCLING..... THEN EVEN IF INDIVIDUAL PACKAGE MAY HAVE LESS PLASTIC....THE OVERALL ENVIRONMENTAL USE AND EFFECT WILL REMAIN SAME OR INCREASE....

Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the explanation offered above?

(D) The smaller containers of concentrated cleaning products enable supermarkets and drugstores to increase their revenues from a given shelf space...........CORRECT................

Your answer is right, but there is a little flaw in your logic of "fully stocking the same shelf". If you consider that the liquid is concentrated, it may not be required to fully consume the same amount of shelf space.
Re: Many consumers are concerned about the ecological effects of   [#permalink] 12 Mar 2014, 16:06