Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 00:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Many convicts who, at one time, might then have been found

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Many convicts who, at one time, might then have been found [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2009, 00:39
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
31.Many convicts who, at one time, might then have been found guilty of crimes they did not commit, can now be proven innocent by DNA fingerprinting techniques.
A. who, at one time, might then have been found guilty
B. who at one time might have been found to be guilty
C. who might once have been found guilty
D. that might at one time have been found as guilty
E. that at one time might have been found guilty

the oa is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
c

I am trying to go through the basics of english and SC. Can somebody please explain, assuming A & B are same, what is the difference between 'found guilty' and 'found to be guilty'. If you can add why D is wrong with 'as guilty' it will be helpful for the people like me who come from non english background.

I think one has to go through this kind of basics to get the SC right most of the times.
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 99

Re: convicts guilgy [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2009, 05:59
vaivish1723 wrote:
31.Many convicts who, at one time, might then have been found guilty of crimes they did not commit, can now be proven innocent by DNA fingerprinting techniques.
A. who, at one time, might then have been found guilty
B. who at one time might have been found to be guilty
C. who might once have been found guilty
D. that might at one time have been found as guilty
E. that at one time might have been found guilty

the oa is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
c

I am trying to go through the basics of english and SC. Can somebody please explain, assuming A & B are same, what is the difference between 'found guilty' and 'found to be guilty'. If you can add why D is wrong with 'as guilty' it will be helpful for the people like me who come from non english background.

I think one has to go through this kind of basics to get the SC right most of the times.

'to be' is used to inform future actions , not past actions.
future; soon to be the thing specified (usually used in combination): bride-to-be.

So that will make B wrong.

A is wrong for using 'at one time' and 'then' ..redundency.

D is wrong for ' found as guilty' and 'at one time' also doesnt sound idiomatic.
E -- same problem 'at one time'..

IMO C.. concise and idiomatic.
Re: convicts guilgy   [#permalink] 03 Jul 2009, 05:59