Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 20:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Many economists believe that policy officials at the Federal

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 278

Kudos [?]: 612 [2] , given: 5

Many economists believe that policy officials at the Federal [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2013, 08:58
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

57% (01:50) correct 43% (00:49) wrong based on 311 sessions
Many economists believe that policy officials at the Federal Reserve, now seeing the economy as struggling with negative growth and high inflation, are almost certain to implement further rounds of quantitative easing in the near future.

(A) now seeing the economy as struggling with negative growth and high inflation, are

(B) now seeing the economy to be struggling with negative growth and high inflation and are

(C) now seeing the economy as a struggling with negative growth and high inflation, are

(D) who now see the economy to be a struggling with negative growth and high inflation, will be

(E) which now sees the economy to be a struggling with negative growth and high inflation, is

Sourced from GMATPill Practice Questions - SC Question
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Last edited by GMATPill on 15 Jul 2013, 10:45, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Pill GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 536 [3] , given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Many economists believe that policy officials at the Federal [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 09:59
This post received
KUDOS
AMITAGARWAL2 wrote:
I think rule rule here is other choices are worst so go with A.

I do not get the explianation of subject - verb error of B...

hi amit,

in the original sentence HIGHLITED part is a modifier....set between the commas.
and after the modifier VERB are==>is acting as a verb for the subject economists....which is correct.

Many economists believe that policy officials at the Federal Reserve,now seeing the economy as struggling with negative growth and high inflation, are almost certain to implement further rounds of quantitative easing in the near future.

now if you just fit option B the original sentence becomes:

Many economists believe that policy officials at the Federal Reserve,now seeing the economy to be struggling with negative growth and high inflation and are almost certain to implement further rounds of quantitative easing in the near future.

in this option...the part starting with now seeing the economy....is acting as modifier..moreover because of the removal of comma before are..that part is also coming under MODIFIER part....hence the verb for the subject IS MISSING...
thats the major ERROR in this part.

hope it helps

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 530 Q50 V14
GMAT 2: 630 Q48 V29
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [2] , given: 60

Reviews Badge
Re: Fed Policy [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2013, 09:24
This post received
KUDOS
Clause 1:- Many economists believe
Clause 2:- that policy officials at the Federal Reserve, now seeing the economy as struggling with negative growth and high inflation, are almost certain to implement further rounds of quantitative easing in the near future.

In clause 2 the subject is "policy officials" and the correct plural verb for this subject is "are". ", now seeing the economy...." modifies Fedral Reserve. In this question subject and verb are far away and possiblity of error is there.

Choice B : Subject - Verb link is missing so it is incorrect.
Choice C : Distorts the meaning of original sentence by introducing "a" after "as"
Choice D : Modifier error by introducing who and also the verb error "will be almost certain..."
Choice E : Subject - Verb error

so The correct answer is A
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 46 [1] , given: 57

Re: Fed Policy [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2013, 09:30
This post received
KUDOS
It could only be option A!

3 of the 5 had errors like "a struggling " which immediately rule out C,D,& E.

Option B is wrong because it ends with "and are" instead of the correct form " , are "

Regards,
Vishnu

Article --> http://www.topmba.com/blog/could-mba-de ... ay-forward

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 42

Reviews Badge
Re: Many economists believe that policy officials at the Federal [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 08:56

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 530 Q50 V14
GMAT 2: 630 Q48 V29
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 60

Reviews Badge
Re: Many economists believe that policy officials at the Federal [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 01:47
blueseas wrote:
AMITAGARWAL2 wrote:

hi amit,

in the original sentence HIGHLITED part is a modifier....set between the commas.
and after the modifier VERB are==>is acting as a verb for the subject economists....which is correct.

Many economists believe that policy officials at the Federal Reserve,now seeing the economy as struggling with negative growth and high inflation, are almost certain to implement further rounds of quantitative easing in the near future.

now if you just fit option B the original sentence becomes:

Many economists believe that policy officials at the Federal Reserve,now seeing the economy to be struggling with negative growth and high inflation and are almost certain to implement further rounds of quantitative easing in the near future.

in this option...the part starting with now seeing the economy....is acting as modifier..moreover because of the removal of comma before are..that part is also coming under MODIFIER part....hence the verb for the subject IS MISSING...
thats the major ERROR in this part.

hope it helps

Great Explaination. I agree with you.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 16

Re: Many economists believe that policy officials at the Federal [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 12:50
This question might sound stupid but I thought a modifier is linked to the Noun before a comma. And in this case, Federal reserve is the NOUN, hence adding 'who' will create the correct linkage.
Please clarify.

Thanks,
Amit
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 536 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Many economists believe that policy officials at the Federal [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 13:19
Amit0507 wrote:
This question might sound stupid but I thought a modifier is linked to the Noun before a comma. And in this case, Federal reserve is the NOUN, hence adding 'who' will create the correct linkage.
Please clarify.

Thanks,
Amit

Hi,

WHO and WHOM===>they can only modify human beings...and ....reverse is also true...human beings can only be modified by WHO and WHOM.

if you modify human beings using THAT /WHICH==>this will always bewrong.

now in this question.

federal reserve===>this is NOT a human being...hence we cant use WHO after that.

hope it helps

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment

Intern
Intern

Re: Many economists believe that policy officials at the Federal [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 13:30
blueseas wrote:
Amit0507 wrote:
Please clarify.

Thanks,
Amit

Hi,

WHO and WHOM===>they can only modify human beings...and ....reverse is also true...human beings can only be modified by WHO and WHOM.

if you modify human beings using THAT /WHICH==>this will always bewrong.

now in this question.

federal reserve===>this is NOT a human being...hence we cant use WHO after that.

hope it helps

Hi,
Here I guess we are referring to Policy officials (not Federal Reserve)...... who see the economy ....... This prompted me to raise this doubt.
Director
Director

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Many economists believe that policy officials at the Federal [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 13:43
Amit0507 wrote:
]

Hi,
Here I guess we are referring to Policy officials (not Federal Reserve)...... who see the economy ....... This prompted me to raise this doubt.

Many economists believe that policy officials at the Federal Reserve, now seeingthe economy as struggling with negative growth and high inflation, are almost certain to implement further rounds of quantitative easing in the near future.

meaning of the sentence is:
MANY ECONOMIST ==>THEY ARE SEEING THE ECONOMY...and not the policy officials..
now as economist see this economy is struggling...based on this econmist believe that policy officials ==>are almost certain to implement......
this is the intended meaning

how to understand.==>whenever you see...comma +verb-ing==>then this modifier modifies the whole clause...and not the previous noun
in this case it is COMMA NOW SEEING==>hence this modifies whole clause hence the subject of the previous clause tooo.

moreover WHO always refer to nearest noun....it will not jump over one noun..as you said meaning wise it is refering to policy officials.
so if it is placed after federal reserve it is going to modify FEDERAL RESERVE ...and will not jump to policy officials

hope it helps

Intern
Intern

Re: Many economists believe that policy officials at the Federal [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 13:54
blueseas wrote:
Amit0507 wrote:
]

Hi,

Many economists believe that policy officials at the Federal Reserve, now seeingthe economy as struggling with negative growth and high inflation, are almost certain to implement further rounds of quantitative easing in the near future.

now as economist see this economy is struggling...based on this econmist believe that policy officials ==>are almost certain to implement......

how to understand.==>whenever you see...comma +verb-ing==>then this modifier modifies the whole clause...and not the previous noun
in this case it is COMMA NOW SEEING==>hence this modifies whole clause hence the subject of the previous clause tooo.

moreover WHO always refer to nearest noun....it will not jump over one noun..as you said meaning wise it is refering to policy officials.
so if it is placed after federal reserve it is going to modify FEDERAL RESERVE ...and will not jump to policy officials

hope it helps

Hi,
Thanks for the response, but I do not agree with your explanation for 2 reasons:
1. Who and whom are used to describe humans only, so no way it will refer to 'Federal reserve'
2. As per your explanation, Economists BELIEVE and SEE in this sentence which I guess is a wrong inference.

Thanks,
Amit
Director
Director

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Many economists believe that policy officials at the Federal [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 14:32
Amit0507 wrote:
blueseas wrote:
Amit0507 wrote:
]

Hi,

hope it helps

Hi,
Thanks for the response, but I do not agree with your explanation for 2 reasons:
1. Who and whom are used to describe humans only, so no way it will refer to 'Federal reserve'
2. As per your explanation, Economists BELIEVE and SEE in this sentence which I guess is a wrong inference.

Thanks,
Amit

PLEASE REFER THESE.

http://www.grammarbook.com/grammar/whoVwhVt.asp
usage-of-verb-ing-modifiers-135220.html

HOPE IT HELPS

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Many economists believe that policy officials at the Federal [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 01:53
hey guys, it's my first time to use the GMATPILL, I was wondering how I can know if my answer is corrent or not? It seems that I can only see the QUESTIOM STATS above the question stem.
Re: Many economists believe that policy officials at the Federal   [#permalink] 18 Jul 2013, 01:53