Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 06:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Many environmentalists believe that the widespread planting

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Many environmentalists believe that the widespread planting [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2004, 19:34
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Many environmentalists believe that the widespread planting of trees, along with the conservation of existing forests, would be << one of the surest, easiest, and least expensive ways to begin to halt or even to reverse >> the buildup of carbon dioxide in the air.

(A) one of the surest, easiest, and least expensive ways to begin to halt or even to reverse

(B) one of the most sure, easy, and least expensive ways to begin a halt or even reverse

(C) one of the surest, easiest, and least expensive ways that would begin halting or even reversing

(D) a most sure, easy, and inexpensive way beginning the halting and even reversing of

(E) the most sure, easiest, and inexpensive way that would begin halting or even reversing

Please explain why you'd prefer any choice over others..Why others wrong..I am confused with this question... :stupid2
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Many environmentalist [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2004, 20:30
afife76 wrote:
Many environmentalists believe that the widespread planting of trees, along with the conservation of existing forests, would be << one of the surest, easiest, and least expensive ways to begin to halt or even to reverse >> the buildup of carbon dioxide in the air.

(A) one of the surest, easiest, and least expensive ways to begin to halt or even to reverse

(B) one of the most sure, easy, and least expensive ways to begin a halt or even reverse

(C) one of the surest, easiest, and least expensive ways that would begin halting or even reversing

(D) a most sure, easy, and inexpensive way beginning the halting and even reversing of

(E) the most sure, easiest, and inexpensive way that would begin halting or even reversing

Please explain why you'd prefer any choice over others..Why others wrong..I am confused with this question... :stupid2

ans: E (tough one)

wrong: one of the ... means one of one ways ... wrong....

there will be only one easiest way .. so one of is unnecessary

wrong: one of the most least expensive .. means one of one ways ... wrong....

wrong: same reasoning.

wrong: begining halting and reversing ... here and is incorrect.. it should be or

right: no problems
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2004, 22:18
I'm taking C on this one
Use of double infinitive does not sound good to me. It is preferable to use infinitive+gerund form. ie "to begin halting" is better than "to begin to halt". Thus, A is out
B) lacks parallelism. "begin a halt(noun) or even reverse(verb)"
D) very bizarre. double use of gerund form is certainly wrong
E) wrong parallel form: the most sure, the most easiest(?), the most inexpensive.

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2004, 03:14
I vote for (A).

Only (A) and (C) uses parallel Superlative form.

I think (A) uses Infinitive correctly.

xx believe that... planting of trees.. would be.. xx (some adj. say best) ways that would begin....

xx believe that... planting of trees.. would be.. xx (some adj. say best) ways to begin....

Correct me if I am wrong...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Many environmentalist [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2004, 09:56
Quote:

Quote:

i vote for A

Quote:

begin a halt .. semantic problem

Quote:

ways begin halting and reversing...wrong
that would .. wrong

Quote:

changes original meaning

Quote:

change original meaning
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2004, 19:42
OA is A.

:thanks
  [#permalink] 10 Jul 2004, 19:42