Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 04:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 610 Q42 V34
GPA: 3.85
WE: Sales (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 33 [1] , given: 3

Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 13:35
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (01:46) correct 36% (00:39) wrong based on 279 sessions
Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are almost certain to leave interests rates unchanged for the foreseeable future.

A. Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are
B. Reserve, now viewing the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation and are
C. Reserve who, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are
D. Reserve, who now view the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation, will be
E. Reserve, which now views the economy to be balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, is
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Oil and Gas - Engineering & Construction
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 27 [4] , given: 48

Re: Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Fed [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 18:23
This post received
KUDOS
Bull78 wrote:
Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are almost certain to leave interests rates unchanged for the foreseeable future.

A. Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are
B. Reserve, now viewing the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation and are
C. Reserve who, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are
D. Reserve, who now view the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation, will be
E. Reserve, which now views the economy to be balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, is

First split to be seen is - "is v/s are" both of these be-forms are referring to "policy makers", hence it should be "are"

Now are is in A, B and C.

Lets look at C - the use of "who" is misplaced here, it would have been correct if it was modifying "policy makers" because they can view the economy not the "Federal reserve" as such.

Between B and A - very subtle difference between the modifier "now viewing the economy to be"
V/S "now viewing the economy as"

Correct idiom is "view X as Y" and Not View X to be Y

hence {A}

Giving Kudos, is a great Way to Help the GC Community Kudos

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 1526 [0], given: 248

Re: Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Fed [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 21:03
Expert's post
Here is a yet another dimension to solve this tangle the grammar way;

A. Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are ---- correct sentence with a working plural verb -are- for the subject policy makers

B. Reserve, now viewing the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation and are ……..The conjunction- and – spoils the party, by weaning away the verb and leaving the first part of the sentence a fragment without a working verb

C. Reserve who, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are … the intrusion of who despoils the structure of the sentence by rendering the main clause a fragment.

D. Reserve, who now view the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation, will be --- as already punted out, the pronoun –who- does not gel with the Fed, literally an inanimate body

E. Reserve, which now views the economy to be balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, is ------ policy makers and is – S-V mismatch

These observations are in addition to the other idiomatic mistakes pointed by other posters .

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 54 [2] , given: 14

Re: Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Fed [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 23:26
This post received
KUDOS
Bull78 wrote:

If you want to create a standard approach to solve these types of questions, make sure you identify the parts of speech. Isolate the subject first, your life will be easier.

Notice that there is a phrase between commas, removing which also makes the sentence logical. So remove it and simplify. Now the original sentence is:
Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reserve are almost certain to leave interests rates unchanged for the foreseeable future.

You see the mistake? The subject is "policy makers" [plural] so verb should be "are". Eliminate E.

Now coming to the phrase between the commas. It is modifying phrase talking about the subject closest to the comma, which is "Federal Reserve". In C and D, "who" is used with Federal Reserve, which is incorrect. Now we are left with A and B.

The idiomatic usage is "between X and Y" where X and Y have to be parallel. In B, it is not. In B, X = "that of moderate growth" and Y = "low inflation". Do not agree...

thus the correct answer is A.

Shouvik
http://www.Edvento.com
admin@edvento.com

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2013, 05:34
Is D also wrong because of presence of 'that of'?

Reserve, who now view the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation, will be

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 135

Kudos [?]: 174 [1] , given: 4

Re: Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2013, 05:45
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Sachin,

Yes you are correct, 'that of' is wrong here.

It doesn't have anything to link back to. As others have said it is correct as in A.

Cheers,

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 87

CAT Tests
Re: Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2013, 21:05
I got this question in my GMAT Prep yesterday. I am sure that I couldn't nail this problem because of lack of conceptual clarity.

When I looked at option A, I felt the phrase between the commas is an '-ing' modifier and hence it doesn't modify the closest noun/noun phrase - "policy makers at the Federal Reserve". Instead, the modifier modifies "how experts believe?"

So, I felt may be C is better in adding 'Who', though I was really not sure.

Could somebody help me where am I wrong in my reasoning?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Rotman '16 (I)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Reviews Badge
Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Fed [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2014, 09:31
Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are almost certain to leave interest rates unchanged for the foreseeable future.

Can you please explain your why you chose your answer?

Thanks,

Last edited by carcass on 13 Apr 2014, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Followers: 266

Kudos [?]: 2265 [0], given: 691

Re: Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2014, 14:03
Expert's post
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.59
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Fed [#permalink] New post 28 May 2014, 19:54
Edvento wrote:
Bull78 wrote:

If you want to create a standard approach to solve these types of questions, make sure you identify the parts of speech. Isolate the subject first, your life will be easier.

Notice that there is a phrase between commas, removing which also makes the sentence logical. So remove it and simplify. Now the original sentence is:
Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reserve are almost certain to leave interests rates unchanged for the foreseeable future.

You see the mistake? The subject is "policy makers" [plural] so verb should be "are". Eliminate E.

Now coming to the phrase between the commas. It is modifying phrase talking about the subject closest to the comma, which is "Federal Reserve". In C and D, "who" is used with Federal Reserve, which is incorrect. Now we are left with A and B.

The idiomatic usage is "between X and Y" where X and Y have to be parallel. In B, it is not. In B, X = "that of moderate growth" and Y = "low inflation". Do not agree...

thus the correct answer is A.

Hi,
I need your expert opinion on this. I find no mistake in D except for "that of", because it does not refer to anything. As for who pronoun, I think it perfectly clear that it is modifying the "policy makers" and not the "at the Federal Reserve". If it was not for "that of", I believe correct answer would have been D. According to e-gmat, verb-ing modifies the whole clause if the verb-ing comes after the clause. All in all, this is not good question.))) plus, I did not like " will be" as it changed the meaning.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the [#permalink] New post 28 May 2014, 21:39
Hi Samatace,

Though I am not an expert, I am trying to help you over your query.

Please be advised that even from Idiom perspective on the GMAT - 'Between that of .... and' is an incorrect idiom.

Hence D is out of scope.

A is the best option, as it uses the 'ing' modifier in the right way inorder to deliver the correct intended meaning.

If you still have questions, i can try to help.

Thanks
Amit

'The best way to thank or appreciate efforts on this forum is to give Kudos.'

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

CAT Tests
Re: Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2014, 04:40
gmatter0913 wrote:
I got this question in my GMAT Prep yesterday. I am sure that I couldn't nail this problem because of lack of conceptual clarity.

When I looked at option A, I felt the phrase between the commas is an '-ing' modifier and hence it doesn't modify the closest noun/noun phrase - "policy makers at the Federal Reserve". Instead, the modifier modifies "how experts believe?"

So, I felt may be C is better in adding 'Who', though I was really not sure.

Could somebody help me where am I wrong in my reasoning?

@gmatter0913......

This is to throw clarity on why exactly option C is wrong......

Constructions (Phrases) appearing between two commas, unless they are part of a list (X, Y, and Z), are modifiers and can therefore be deleted from the sentence.

That means if you strike out the modifier (between the commas), the sentence should make sense....

" Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reserve who, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are almost certain to leave interest rates unchanged for the foreseeable future. "

You See the statement becomes.....
Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reserve who are almost certain to leave interest rates unchanged for the foreseeable future.

It does not make sense. it is an incomplete statement...Thats why C is totally wrong
Re: Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the   [#permalink] 05 Aug 2014, 04:40