Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:44 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [41]
Given Kudos: 92
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [5]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Marketing
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [3]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64883 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Many large department stores in Montalia now provide shopping carts [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
WaterFlowsUp wrote:
Many large department stores in Montalia now provide shopping carts for their customers. Since customers using shopping carts tend to buy more than those without shopping carts, most of these stores are experiencing strong sales growth, while most other department stores are not. Therefore, in order to boost sales, managers of Jerrod’s, Montalia’s premier department store, are planning to purchase shopping carts and make them available to the store’s customers next month.

Which of the following, if true, casts most doubt whether the managers’ plan, if implemented, will achieve its goal?

(A) Since most customers associate shopping carts with low-quality discount stores, Jerrod’s high quality image would likely suffer if shopping carts were introduced.

(B) Because the unemployment rate has declined to very low levels, Jerrod’s now has to pay significantly higher wages in order to retain its staff.

(C) A number of department stores that did not make shopping carts available to their customers have had to close recently due to falling profits.

(D) Shopping carts are not very expensive, but they generally need to be replaced every few years.

(E) Stores that make shopping carts available to their customers usually have to hire people to retrieve the carts from parking areas.

Premise: Customers using shopping carts tend to buy more than those without shopping carts

Plan: purchase shopping carts and make them available to the store’s customers next month.
Aim: Boost sales (profit has not been mentioned. We are talking about increasing sales)

What will weaken the plan i.e. make it less likely to succeed?

(A) Since most customers associate shopping carts with low-quality discount stores, Jerrod’s high quality image would likely suffer if shopping carts were introduced.

We know that with shopping carts, people buy more but if Jerrod's has a high quality image and that will suffer because of shopping carts, perhaps fewer people will visit it. Shopping cart could be a reason some people buy more but it could also be a reason that some people stop coming to Jerrod's altogether. Hence this does decrease the probability of the plan succeeding. The argument only mentions the pros of having shopping carts. But this option mentions the cons and hence shows that the plan may not achieve its target. Note that it doesn't say that the plan will not achieve its aim; it only reduces the probability that it will achieve its aim.

(B) Because the unemployment rate has declined to very low levels, Jerrod’s now has to pay significantly higher wages in order to retain its staff.

Why its costs are high is out of scope.

(C) A number of department stores that did not make shopping carts available to their customers have had to close recently due to falling profits.

If anything, it makes a case in favour of shopping carts.

(D) Shopping carts are not very expensive, but they generally need to be replaced every few years.

The costs associated with shopping carts are out of scope. Our argument talks about boosting sales. What happens to costs/profits is irrelevant.

(E) Stores that make shopping carts available to their customers usually have to hire people to retrieve the carts from parking areas.

Again, the costs associated with shopping carts are out of scope. Our argument talks about boosting sales. What happens to costs/profits is irrelevant.

Answer (A)
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [1]
Given Kudos: 92
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: Many large department stores in Montalia now provide shopping carts [#permalink]
Bookmarks
I will solve this for those , who may require

Cause (shopping carts)----> Effect (rise in sales)
So , we need to find out something that will tell us that with shopping cart usage , sales are not gong to rise.
A. Does so by saying that shopping carts will harm Jerrod's image and sales may not rise.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 540 Q48 V17
GMAT 2: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT 3: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
A : weakens the conclusion
B: wages are not relevant as goal is to increase sale
C: strengthener(reverse answer)
D: not relevant
E : does not weaken the conclusion,as goal is to increase the sales.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 601 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE:Investment Banking (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Kudos
can any moderator chetan2u, mikemcgarry, GMATNinjaTwo, ziyuen, carcass answer if this is a legit question one can find on the GMAT? i'm having a hard time correlating the "high quality image" with a boost in sales
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20705 [0]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
LakerFan24 wrote:
can any moderator chetan2u, mikemcgarry, GMATNinjaTwo, ziyuen, carcass answer if this is a legit question one can find on the GMAT? I'm having a hard time correlating the "high quality image" with a boost in sales

LakerFan24 You may purchase the GMAT® Paper Tests (These are paper-based tests formatted in the way the GMAT exam was originally delivered. This product is not computer-adaptive and answer explanations are not included.) from MBA store. Unfortunately I do not have the access and did not purchase for it.

https://www.mba.com/global/store/store-catalog/gmat-preparation/gmat-paper-tests.aspx

You might purchase GMATPrep® Exam Pack 1 if you are running out of questions to practise.

https://www.mba.com/global/store/store-catalog/gmat-preparation/gmatprep-question-pack-1.aspx
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [4]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos