Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 03:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Many managers of mutual funds proclaim that they have been

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 64 [2] , given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Many managers of mutual funds proclaim that they have been [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2009, 10:21
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

56% (02:21) correct 43% (01:27) wrong based on 82 sessions
Many managers of mutual funds proclaim that they have been able to generate consistently higher rates of return on their investments than the general stock market bu buying shares of undervalued companies. Classical economic theory, however, proposes the "efficient capital markets hypothesis", which proposes that stock prices accurately reflect the value of the underlying investments, incorporating all information available to the public. if the efficient capital markets hypothesis is correct, then it should be expected that_____________.

A) mutual fund managers, in order to compete with each other, will bid up the prices of certain stocks beyond their true values

B) mutual fund managers use insider information, an illegal practice, to generate higher rates of return than the general stock market

C) stock price will rise over time

D) given public information alone, companies cannot reliably be labeled undervalued or overvalued relative to to the general stock market

E) some mutual fund managers are better than others at generating a higher rate of return on investments
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Re: Inference based question [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 09:28
Looks like C

Premise: Classical economic theory however, proposes the "efficient capital markets hypothesis", which proposes that stock prices accurately reflect the value of the underlying investments, incorporating all information available to the public

Result: Many managers of mutual funds proclaim that they have been able to generate consistently higher rates of return on their investments than the general stock market bu buying shares of undervalued companies

These are two disconnected statements. If the undervalued company is to generate higher returns, its stock price or share value based on the underlying investments needs to increase
Hence this indicates C

Please let me know the OA and also errors if any in my line of reasoning
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Inference based question [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 09:40
hitman4683v1 wrote:
Looks like C

Premise: Classical economic theory however, proposes the "efficient capital markets hypothesis", which proposes that stock prices accurately reflect the value of the underlying investments, incorporating all information available to the public

Result: Many managers of mutual funds proclaim that they have been able to generate consistently higher rates of return on their investments than the general stock market bu buying shares of undervalued companies

These are two disconnected statements. If the undervalued company is to generate higher returns, its stock price or share value based on the underlying investments needs to increase
Hence this indicates C

Please let me know the OA and also errors if any in my line of reasoning

No the OA is not C. I will reveal it soon...I am just waiting for some more explanation..
you can give it a try again...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Inference based question [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 09:43
gurpreet07 wrote:
Many managers of mutual funds proclaim that they have been able to generate consistently higher rates of return on their investments than the general stock market bu buying shares of undervalued companies. Classical economic theory, however, proposes the "efficient capital markets hypothesis", which proposes that stock prices accurately reflect the value of the underlying investments, incorporating all information available to the public. if the efficient capital markets hypothesis is correct, then it should be expected that_____________.

A) mutual fund managers, in order to compete with each other, will bid up the prices of certain stocks beyond their true values - Out of scope.

B) mutual fund managers use insider information, an illegal practice, to generate higher rates of return than the general stock market - Aggressive reasoning. Also there might be some better way than illegal practices. After all, fund managers are more educated and informed about stock market than general public.

C) stock price will rise over time - Out of scope. Statement is not related to the valuation of the stocks

D) given public information alone, companies cannot reliably be labeled undervalued or overvalued relative to to the general stock market - This is BEST possible answer. Fund managers might be more informed about the companies. Or other tools like tech analysis might be necessary in addition to public information, to determine the underlying value of the stock.

E) some mutual fund managers are better than others at generating a higher rate of return on investments - Out of scope

IMO D. OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Inference based question [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 09:47
OA is D...
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Inference based question [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2010, 12:16
The stem says - if the efficient capital markets hypothesis is correct - that means we must assume that the valuation of the company (whether undervalued etc) should be treated as correctly done. So in this light D- does not make sense. The only way both the hypothesis can be correct and the fund managers rake in profits is by they buying the shares at low values and the price of the share rising - as in C. Can somebody explain this... I don't know when I will learn CR :(
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 112

Re: Inference based question [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2010, 18:26
marked c ..:(
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Inference based question [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 08:55
Still unsure..I think it should be C

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Inference based question [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 19:06
I used exxcesssive POE to arrive at D.

I actually don't grasp what the argument, I'm not good at processing financial news at the moment. Glad that POE is still a good tool.
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 236

Kudos [?]: 576 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Inference based question [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 08:56
This post received
KUDOS
gurpreet07 wrote:

A) mutual fund managers, in order to compete with each other, will bid up the prices of certain stocks beyond their true values

B) mutual fund managers use insider information, an illegal practice, to generate higher rates of return than the general stock market

D) given public information alone, companies cannot reliably be labeled undervalued or overvalued relative to to the general stock market

E) some mutual fund managers are better than others at generating a higher rate of return on investments

In questions like this one, we need to understand how the different parts of the passage are related. Here, the linking word is 'however'. That is, the second half of the passage is going to contradict the first part. I think in some of the posts above, people were looking for ways that the second half might support the first, and that is not how the passage is structured.

So the second half of the passage describes an alternative theory that contradicts the fund managers' claim. Noticing that alone might lead you to D, but more specifically, the passage states that by the efficient capital markets hypothesis, 'stock prices accurately reflect the value of underlying investments, incorporating all information available to the public', so according to this hypothesis, stock prices are correctly valued based on public information, and it is thus impossible for a stock to be overvalued or undervalued. That's what D says.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Inference based question [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2011, 22:18
The answer is D.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Columbia, INSEAD, RSM, LBS
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Inference based question [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2011, 05:07
D
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: N.C.C.

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Re: Inference based question [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2011, 08:12
By the same logic "B" should be a strong contender too..
As it weakens the fund manager's claim..
ur views??
IanStewart wrote:
gurpreet07 wrote:

In questions like this one, we need to understand how the different parts of the passage are related. Here, the linking word is 'however'. That is, the second half of the passage is going to contradict the first part. I think in some of the posts above, people were looking for ways that the second half might support the first, and that is not how the passage is structured.

So the second half of the passage describes an alternative theory that contradicts the fund managers' claim. Noticing that alone might lead you to D, but more specifically, the passage states that by the efficient capital markets hypothesis, 'stock prices accurately reflect the value of underlying investments, incorporating all information available to the public', so according to this hypothesis, stock prices are correctly valued based on public information, and it is thus impossible for a stock to be overvalued or undervalued. That's what D says.

We are twice armed if we fight with faith.

He who knows when he can fight & when He can't will be victorious.

2 KUDOS received
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 236

Kudos [?]: 576 [2] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Inference based question [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2011, 09:41
This post received
KUDOS
vijayahir wrote:
ur views??

Unfortunately in the original post, the actual *question* wasn't even included, which makes it a bit difficult to evaluate. I've assumed it's asking for the answer which most logically completes the passage. B is too strong. From the passage, we know that Classical Economic Theory says that stock cannot be undervalued. We also know mutual fund managers *claim* to profit by buying stock which is undervalued. But if Classical Economic Theory is true, that only means that the managers are wrong - they might be lying, or they might think they are buying undervalued stock but are actually buying appropriately valued stock and they may have been 'lucky' to make a profit, or they might be involved in insider trading, among many, many possibilities. It is not logical to conclude that they must have been engaged in something as specific as insider trading when there are so many other possible explanations, which makes B the wrong answer here.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: N.C.C.

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Re: Inference based question [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2011, 11:50
Makes sense.. :-D
Kudos to u
IanStewart wrote:
vijayahir wrote:
ur views??

Unfortunately in the original post, the actual *question* wasn't even included, which makes it a bit difficult to evaluate. I've assumed it's asking for the answer which most logically completes the passage. B is too strong. From the passage, we know that Classical Economic Theory says that stock cannot be undervalued. We also know mutual fund managers *claim* to profit by buying stock which is undervalued. But if Classical Economic Theory is true, that only means that the managers are wrong - they might be lying, or they might think they are buying undervalued stock but are actually buying appropriately valued stock and they may have been 'lucky' to make a profit, or they might be involved in insider trading, among many, many possibilities. It is not logical to conclude that they must have been engaged in something as specific as insider trading when there are so many other possible explanations, which makes B the wrong answer here.

We are twice armed if we fight with faith.

He who knows when he can fight & when He can't will be victorious.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 61

Re: Inference based question [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2011, 16:57
Only D makes sense, let me explain how.

"Efficient capital markets hypothesis" states that the current price of the stock represents sum total of all public information. For example if a company is expected to make money by introducing an innovative product, its current price already reflects the effect of the news. But, what the hypothesis does not say is whether the company is undervalued or overvalued, i.e. whether the current stock price exceeds sum of future cashflows. This where D comes in, and provides explanation for the gap between hypothesis and the fund managers' claim. No other option comes close.

gurpreet07 wrote:

Unsubstantiated claim.

Absurd, and does not follow from the premises.

Absurd, and does not follow from the premises.

Correct as explained earlier.

Perhaps true, but the statement does not explain anything.
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: Inference based question [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2011, 02:38
'gap between fund managers claim and hypothesis'. exactly the expression i was looking for .

D meets the requirement, and the rest of the answers do not follow from the premise.

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Inference based question [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2011, 01:07
except D rest all options are assuming just a bit too much.
D it is clearly hitting the label on a stock value of a company.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Inference based question [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2011, 12:04
+1 D

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: Inference based question [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 23:28
IMO D

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------