Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 13:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Many of the earliest known images of hindu dieties in india

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 7

Many of the earliest known images of hindu dieties in india [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2012, 08:50
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 3 sessions
Many of the earliest known images of hindu dieties in india date from the time of the kushan empire, fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of mathura or gandharan grey schist.

Does the participial phrase "fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of mathura or gandharan grey schist"
modify kushan empire ???

Because what i understand about ending participial phrases is that if the antecedent is not next to the modifier we can just put a comma.

Please correct me if i am wrong....

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 513

Kudos [?]: 2110 [0], given: 30

Re: Many of the earliest known imaes of hindu [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2012, 11:25
Expert's post
Hi, there. I'm happy to help with this. :)

You're right --- as the sentence currently is written, the participial phrase "fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of mathura or gandharan grey schist" modifies "Kushan Empire," which is incorrect. This is a misplaced modifier.

Adding a comma does not eliminate the glaring mistake of a misplaced modifier. The only way to get rid of a misplaced modifier problem is to reconstruct the sentence. Commas do not work magic. Commas do not make bad grammar go away.

You will notice, with this particular question (SC #56 in the OG 12e), the OA of E transforms this participial phrase into a full-fledged verb that is parallel to the first verb ---- the structure of the sentence has been entirely altered, to eliminate the misplaced modifier problem.

Does all this make sense?

Here's another SC question drawing on the modifier touch rule.
http://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/1174
When you submit your answer, the next page will have a full video explanation.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Mike :)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Re: Many of the earliest known imaes of hindu   [#permalink] 20 Mar 2012, 11:25