Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 04:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Many people are alarmed about the population explosion

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kelley,Tepper,Carlson,Kenan Flager,Broad
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 120 [1] , given: 22

Many people are alarmed about the population explosion [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 06:14
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

78% (02:51) correct 22% (02:01) wrong based on 84 sessions
Many people are alarmed about the population explosion. They fail to appreciate that the present rise in population has in fact been followed by equally potent economic growth. Because of this connection between an increase in population and an increase in economic activity, population control measures should not be taken.
The questionable pattern of reasoning in the argument above is most similar to that in which one of the following?

(A) Subscribers to news magazines are concerned that increased postage costs will be passed on to them in the form of higher subscription rates. But that is a price they have to pay for having the magazines delivered. No group of users of the postal system should be subsidized at the expense of others.

(B) Most of the salespeople are concerned with complaints about the sales manager’s aggressive behavior. They need to consider that sales are currently increasing. Due to this success, no action should be taken to address the manager’s behavior.

(C) Parents are concerned about their children spending too much time watching television. Those parents should consider television time as time they could spend with their children. Let the children watch television, but watch it with them.

(D) Nutritionists warn people not to eat unhealthy foods. Those foods have been in people’s diets for years. Before cutting all those foods out of diets it would be wise to remember that people enjoy culinary variety.

(E) Some consumers become concerned when the price of a product increases for several years in a row, thinking that the price will continue to increase. But these consumers are mistaken since a long-term trend of price increases indicates that the price will probably decline in the future

Will be interesting to see timing on this one. So do post timing if possible.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My dad once said to me: Son, nothing succeeds like success.

Last edited by dentobizz on 24 Nov 2013, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
edited the Title
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 6

Re: Population Explosion [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 06:35
01:55

I hate this type of question but this one was quite easy actually
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 21

Re: Population Explosion [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 06:41
I got B. may be about 2:15. But this is more of a LSAT question. hardly see this type in gmat books.

the argument is saying a phenomenon is not a problem right now, so it will never be a problem even in future.

a)does not follows the same structure.

b) looks same flawed structure - sales currently increasing, and argument assumes it will always be increasing.

c)watch tv with them makes the argument turn in different direction.

d)different structure all together.

e) 'probably' is a word which makes this argument different from first one.
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 956 [0], given: 376

Re: Population Explosion [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 07:01
jamifahad wrote:

Many people are alarmed about the population explosion. They fail to appreciate that the present rise in population has in fact been followed by equally potent economic growth. Because of this connection between an increase in population and an increase in economic activity, population control measures should not be taken.

The questionable pattern of reasoning in the argument above is most similar to that in which one of the following?

(A) Subscribers to news magazines are concerned that increased postage costs will be passed on to them in the form of higher subscription rates. But that is a price they have to pay for having the magazines delivered. No group of users of the postal system should be subsidized at the expense of others.
(B) Most of the salespeople are concerned with complaints about the sales manager’s aggressive behavior. They need to consider that sales are currently increasing. Due to this success, no action should be taken to address the manager’s behavior.
(C) Parents are concerned about their children spending too much time watching television. Those parents should consider television time as time they could spend with their children. Let the children watch television, but watch it with them.
(D) Nutritionists warn people not to eat unhealthy foods. Those foods have been in people’s diets for years. Before cutting all those foods out of diets it would be wise to remember that people enjoy culinary variety.
(E) Some consumers become concerned when the price of a product increases for several years in a row, thinking that the price will continue to increase. But these consumers are mistaken since a long-term trend of price increases indicates that the price will probably decline in the future.

2:54. Correct.

Most of my time spent on understanding and ruling out any possible contender. Because parallel reasoning is usually considered 750+ level question and appears less frequently on GMAT, I'd have selected "B" by just giving a cursory look to the others and saved some time doing so.

Reasoning:
Just because a known problem is not accompanied by its feared adverse effects but rather surprisingly accompanied by positive effects, one should be least bothered about addressing the problem.

Ans: "B"

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 22

Re: Population Explosion [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 07:04
To be honest, i spent 3+ minutes just reading and understanding question and answer choices. And next 1 minute to figure out answer.
4+ minutes. :-(

Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 956 [0], given: 376

Re: Population Explosion [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 07:35
jamifahad wrote:
To be honest, i spent 3+ minutes just reading and understanding question and answer choices. And next 1 minute to figure out answer.
4+ minutes. :-(

Not a big reason to worry I feel, at least for this type and that too from LSAT. If a question like this will appear on the real test, you will have done phenomenal in your previous problems. This is my opinion: GMAT CR's are mostly about Strengthen, Weaken, Assumption, followed by Must be true, Resolve the paradox, Method of reasoning(Bold face) and only at the end comes flaw in the reasoning and parallel reasoning types.

~fluke

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Population Explosion [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 11:16
Chop time on this one by focusing on parallel conclusions.

squeakvm

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 22

Re: Population Explosion [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 14:22
Got to work on timing issue with CR!!
Thanks.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 18

Re: Population Explosion [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 15:21
2:20
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Population Explosion [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 21:34
+1 for B..
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 59

Re: Population Explosion [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 23:32
jamifahad wrote:
hi guys.. i think answer is B. i got this right in close to 2.5 mins

(B) Most of the salespeople are concerned with complaints about the sales manager’s aggressive behavior. They need to consider that sales are currently increasing. Due to this success, no action should be taken to address the manager’s behavior
(E) Some consumers become concerned when the price of a product increases for several years in a row, thinking that the price will continue to increase. But these consumers are mistaken since a long-term trend of price increases indicates that the price will probably decline in the future.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 21

Re: Population Explosion [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2011, 06:36
1:58 and B it is :)

Two great challenges: 1. Guts to Fail and 2. Fear to Succeed

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Population Explosion [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2011, 16:45
B, 2:54!

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 15

Re: Population Explosion [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2011, 16:50
B in 1:43!
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 332 [0], given: 109

Re: Population Explosion [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2011, 17:41
+1 B

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 42

Re: Population Explosion [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2011, 21:05
1+ B
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 21

Re: Population Explosion [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2011, 21:30
B in 1:43

- Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts

http://gmatclub.com/forum/finally-gmat-is-over-730-49q-41v-130632.html

Intern
Intern
Schools: IIMA, ISB
WE 1: 5y 7m

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Will be interesting to see timing on this one. So do post [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2012, 11:43
Got B, after 2.55 mins
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Re: Will be interesting to see timing on this one. So do post [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2012, 18:11
2:37 and reached B)
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 16

Re: Will be interesting to see timing on this one. So do post [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2012, 19:04
B in 2 :13 min

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Re: Will be interesting to see timing on this one. So do post   [#permalink] 11 Jan 2012, 19:04