Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 04:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Many people change their wills on their own every few years,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Many people change their wills on their own every few years, [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2005, 06:22
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

50% (01:53) correct 50% (01:32) wrong based on 0 sessions
Many people change their wills on their own every few years, in response to significant changes in their personal or financial circumstances. This practice can create a problem foe the executor when these people are careless and do not date their wills: the executor will then often know neither which one of several undated wills is the most recent, nor whether the will drawn up last has ever been found. Therefore, people should not only date their wills but also state in any new will which will it supersedes, for then there would not be a problem to begin with.

The reasoning in the argument is flawed because the argument

(A) treats a partial solution to the stated problem as though it were a complete solution.

(B) Fails to distinguish between prevention of a problem and successful containment of the adverse effects that the problem might cause.

(C) Proposes a solution to the stated problem that does not actually solve the problem but merely makes someone else responsible for solving the problem.

(D) Claims that a certain action would be a change for the better without explicitly considering what negative consequences the action might have.

(E) Proposes that a certain action be based on information that would be unavailable at the time proposed for that action.

Regards,
Sonfbm

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2005, 06:27
I go with B. The last sentence appears to suggest that the solution proposed will prevent the problems faced by executors of wills. However, what the proposed solution does merely contains the effects of the problem and does not really serve to prevent a problem from occuring.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2005, 07:44
This post received
KUDOS
A)...we still wouldnt know what is the last one when it is lost...

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2005, 08:49
A.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Financial circumstances [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2005, 09:21
sonfbm wrote:
Many people change their wills on their own every few years, in response to significant changes in their personal or financial circumstances. This practice can create a problem foe the executor when these people are careless and do not date their wills: the executor will then often know neither which one of several undated wills is the most recent, nor whether the will drawn up last has ever been found. Therefore, people should not only date their wills but also state in any new will which will it supersedes, for then there would not be a problem to begin with.
The reasoning in the argument is flawed because the argument

(A) treats a partial solution to the stated problem as though it were a complete solution.

(B) Fails to distinguish between prevention of a problem and successful containment of the adverse effects that the problem might cause.

(C) Proposes a solution to the stated problem that does not actually solve the problem but merely makes someone else responsible for solving the problem.

(D) Claims that a certain action would be a change for the better without explicitly considering what negative consequences the action might have.

(E) Proposes that a certain action be based on information that would be unavailable at the time proposed for that action.

I scale down to A and B. The key is the bold part of the conclusion.
A seems perfect,at first, coz of "complete solution" / no more problem. But then, I'm confused why A uses " partial solution"? We don't know if it's partial or not! If we know, it's probably because we think "out of scope" then.

B: from the conclusion, we see clearly that:
+what the executors suggest: the unbold part-----> a prevention of the problem.
+ the bold part -----> a successful/ consummate containment of adverse effects that the problem might cause
The executor obviously fails to distinguish these two.

I would go for B even though A is tempting. :roll:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2005, 09:40
OA: A

christoph's explanation is wonderful :o

Regards,
Sonfbm

SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2005, 13:17
yup got A.

hey ya......

SVP
SVP
Followers: 229

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Many people change their wills on their own every few years, [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2014, 18:31
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Many people change their wills on their own every few years,   [#permalink] 11 Jul 2014, 18:31