Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 23:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Many scientists believe that abnormalities in brain

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Many scientists believe that abnormalities in brain [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2009, 06:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

70% (01:43) correct 30% (00:58) wrong based on 291 sessions
Many scientists believe that abnormalities in brain chemistry cause clinical depression, but they have not established what these abnormalities are or how they lead to illness.

(A) cause clinical depression, but they have not established what these abnormalities are or
(B) cause clinical depression, but they have not established either what these abnormalities are nor
(C) are the cause of clinical depression, but they have neither not established what these abnormalities are or
(D) are the cause of clinical depression, but they have not established either what these abnormalities are nor
(E) causes clinical depression, but they have not established what these abnormalities are nor

Please help... :cry:
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 76 [2] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-abnormalities in brain chemistry [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2009, 06:15
This post received
KUDOS
cici wrote:
Many scientists believe that abnormalities in brain chemistry cause clinical depression, but they have not established what these abnormalities are or how they lead to illness.

A) cause clinical depression, but they have not established what these abnormalities are or
B) cause clinical depression, but they have not established either what these abnormalities are nor
C) are the cause of clinical depression, but they have neither not established what these abnormalities are or
D) are the cause of clinical depression, but they have not established either what these abnormalities are nor
E) causes clinical depression, but they have not established what these abnormalities are nor

B is wrong. Correct idiom should be either...or
C is wrong. Correct idiom should be neither...nor
D is wrong for the same reason as B
E is wrong. Abnormalities is plural, should use cause instead of causes.

A is correct as it is.
Intern
Intern

Re: SC-abnormalities in brain chemistry [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2009, 06:25
eileen1017 wrote:
B is wrong. Correct idiom should be either...or
C is wrong. Correct idiom should be neither...nor
D is wrong for the same reason as B
E is wrong. Abnormalities is plural, should use cause instead of causes.

A is correct as it is.

Ohhh
I thought "not either" can pair with "nor",
but I guess they cannot be paired!!

Thank you eileen :o
You were right, the OA is A!
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 45

Kudos [?]: 165 [1] , given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-abnormalities in brain chemistry [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2009, 09:38
This post received
KUDOS
Basically Idiom issue here
either or
neither nor
cici wrote:

A) cause clinical depression, but they have not established what these abnormalities are or
B) cause clinical depression, but they have not established either what these abnormalities are norC) are the cause of clinical depression, but they have neither not established what these abnormalities are or
D) are the cause of clinical depression, but they have not established either what these abnormalities are nor
E) causes clinical depression, but they have not established what these abnormalities are nor

math-polygons-87336.html
competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 183 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-abnormalities in brain chemistry [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2009, 10:38
This post received
KUDOS
The sentence does not look worded properly. The same pronoun "they" seems to refer to "scientists" and to "abnormalities". What is the source of the question?
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 505 [1] , given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-abnormalities in brain chemistry [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2009, 12:26
This post received
KUDOS
scthakur wrote:
The sentence does not look worded properly. The same pronoun "they" seems to refer to "scientists" and to "abnormalities". What is the source of the question?

Agree with you but that problem is in all ACs and the AC with least problem is A.
So A is fine.

cici wrote:

B) cause clinical depression, but they have not established either what these abnormalities are nor
C) are the cause of clinical depression, but they have neither not established what these abnormalities are or

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: SC-abnormalities in brain chemistry [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2009, 12:43
This post received
KUDOS
quick q, is "have not established" can be followed by either "or" or "nor" without changing meaning?
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 114 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-abnormalities in brain chemistry [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2009, 23:34
This post received
KUDOS
A . I agree with scthakur abt the ambiguity. but i guess we have to chose the best.
Intern
Intern

Re: SC-abnormalities in brain chemistry [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2009, 00:12
scthakur wrote:

Hi scthakur :)

I got this question from Practice Test Book.

Regarding your comment, I think referring scientists as "they" is okay because "abnormalities" comes as the object of that clause.

Plus, it's hard to interpret the sentence if you put "abnormalities" in the place of "they". :wink:

Best, Cici
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 32

Re: SC-abnormalities in brain chemistry [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2010, 05:12
scthakur wrote:

"They" refers to the scientists because abnormalities is part of the essential clause (i.e., begins with "that") and is not the subject.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 1

Re: SC-abnormalities in brain chemistry [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2010, 05:16
Subject-verb agreement

abnormalities cause
abnormality causes

so (A)
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 53 [2] , given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-abnormalities in brain chemistry [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2010, 10:46
This post received
KUDOS
(A) cause clinical depression, but they have not established what these abnormalities are or
(B) cause clinical depression, but they have not established either what these abnormalities are nor
(C) are the cause of clinical depression, but they have neither not established what these abnormalities are or
(D) are the cause of clinical depression, but they have not established either what these abnormalities are nor
(E) causes clinical depression, but they have not established what these abnormalities are nor

in this question we have 2 problems

1) subject -verb agreement
2) idiom error

correct idioms are
a) either x or y
b) neither x nor y

choice b , c and d are out due to this idiom error
choice e is out since abnormailities doesn't agree with singluar verb causes

so we are left with only where subject and verb agrees and we don't have any incorrect idioms also

so my choice is A
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mellon, USC, MIT, UCLA, NSCU
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-abnormalities in brain chemistry [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2010, 07:55
Woohoo! I answered correctly. My first split began with cause. I quickly eliminated C, D and E. In B, "either... nor should be neither nor. Therefore, A was my choice.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Reward wisdom with kudos. ;)

Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-abnormalities in brain chemistry [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2010, 09:24
As most people said, there's the idiom issue in most of the answer.

Either has to pair with or
Neither has to pair with nor

in (E), there's a subject/verb issue.

Here's my take on the "they" part.

Whenever I see a pronoun, I always ask myself what that pronoun is referring to. Who is "they" in this case? Is it abnormalities or scientists? Or something else? By not being able to answer myself, I cross (A) off in the list. However, once I realize that "they" persists in every single answer, I un-crossed (A) off knowing that this pronoun cannot be the make and break of this question. I completely ignored the "they" part and focused on the idiom error.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 6

Re: SC-abnormalities in brain chemistry [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 06:48
A

E is out as "causes" is singular
B, C, D do not use "either" idiomatically

As always questions with Answer choice A take most time to solve :)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-abnormalities in brain chemistry [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 23:51
A is answer.
thanks for all above explanation

kudos me if you like my post.

Attitude determine everything.
all the best and God bless you.

Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD,IIMA,IIMB

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-abnormalities in brain chemistry [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2011, 01:36
A

Posted from my mobile device Image

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: Many scientists believe that abnormalities in brain [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2012, 05:25
+1 A :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Many scientists believe that abnormalities in brain [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2012, 21:51
One of the simpler SC questions I guess. The answer is A. Thanks for the explanation.
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 297 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Many scientists believe that abnormalities in brain [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2012, 22:46
+1 A

The correct idioms are: EITHER...OR, and NEITHER...NOR
That's why B is incorrect.

C and D are wordy: "cause" is better than "are the cause". We have to avoid the verb "to be" whenever it is possible because usually it is not so direct.

"Abnormalities" is plural; we need "cause", not "causes". E is incorrect.

Hope it helps.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Many scientists believe that abnormalities in brain   [#permalink] 22 Jan 2012, 22:46