Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 09:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

many small roads dont have paintings

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 101

GMAT Tests User
many small roads dont have paintings [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 00:49
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

84% (01:24) correct 16% (01:19) wrong based on 25 sessions
can some one explain me this
thanks in advance
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Attachments

Untitled.pdf [55.58 KiB]
Downloaded 213 times

To download please login or register as a user

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 5

Re: many small roads dont have paintings [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 04:46
This post received
KUDOS
It was anticipated that the paint along the edge of the road would make it easier for people to notice a curve coming ahead. However, after the paint along the edge of the road was applied, even more accidents occurred than before. Thus the answer must explain the contradiction.

E explains this contradiction in the expectation. Because of the winding roads, some people avoided driving when there was low visibility. However, after the paint was applied along the edge of the road, more people began driving on these windy roads even though visibility was low. As a result, more drivers on the road can help to explain the increase in the accident rate.
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1074

Kudos [?]: 4786 [5] , given: 163

Re: many small roads dont have paintings [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 05:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Stimulus:

Clear markings on narrow road are expected to make driving safer particularly when visibility is poor.
When Greatwater County painted edges of narrow roads, the accident rate on those roads increased slightly.

This is what we call 'Explain the Paradox' question. You were expecting the accident rate to go down but it actually went up! We have to look for the option that will help explain this paradox.
1. That might explain why its accident rate is higher than that of other counties. It doesn't explain why its accident rate is higher than its own previous accident rate. It had the same narrow winding roads before, it has the same roads now.
2. In bad weather, it can be nearly as hard to see the road as at night. But the case was the same before the roads were painted. After the roads were painted, it should have been easier for the drivers to drive at night and also in bad weather. The accident rate should have dropped then. It doesn't explain why it increased after the roads were painted. (If the option had an additional statement saying 'There have been unusually high number of bad weather days recently (after the paint job)' or something like it, we might have given it more thought.
3. The comparison is not between accident rate of narrow roads and other roads but between the accident rate of narrow roads before the paint job and narrow roads after the paint job.
4. Again, doesn't explain the difference in accident rate before the paint job and after the paint job.
5. After the markings, drivers felt safer and drove on those roads at night too. If before the markings, let's say the accident rate was 2% and 100 people used to drive at night on those roads in a month, after the markings, the accident rate might have fallen to 1%, but 500 people started driving at night on those roads in a month. So there would be 5 accidents as compared to 2 of before. Therefore, we might have seen an increase in the accident rate. This explains the paradox.
(I just assumed the numbers I took above to give clarity)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: many small roads dont have paintings [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 08:29
anilnandyala - you are posting good CRs, but is it possible to post them w/o the answer already posted.
A request.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1074

Kudos [?]: 4786 [0], given: 163

Re: many small roads dont have paintings [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2011, 01:54
Expert's post
Responding to a pm:

You have to explain the following:
Road markings led to an increase in road accidents.

You expect road markings to lead to a decrease in number of accidents. But they actually increased a little. How do you explain that? It is something similar to the situation that cars with ABS and airbags get involved in more accidents than cars without these features. How do you explain that? You expect these features to make the cars safer. It is because drivers of cars with ABS and air bags become careless. They know they will be protected in case of an accident. Hence more accidents occur.
So how do you explain the increase in the number of accidents when clear road markings were made? It is because people became careless and started driving at night too. Night driving is riskier than day driving on winding roads and hence the the number of accidents could have increased.
Bad weather has no connection with road markings. Road markings would not lead to more bad weather days and hence cause more accidents. Bad weather would have been there before the road markings and after the road markings. We are not given that the bad weather days increased after the road markings. Don't let other options drag you into out-of-scope territory.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Information Technology(Retail)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 29

Re: many small roads dont have paintings [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2011, 02:55
The Answer is E beacuse-
Paradox is between statements- Road markings should reduce accidents and inspite of road markings the accidents have increased.
This is resolved by option E.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 230

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: many small roads dont have paintings [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2013, 14:47
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: many small roads dont have paintings   [#permalink] 27 Oct 2013, 14:47