Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 21:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Many teachers choose to seek employment in the suburbs

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.38
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 12

Many teachers choose to seek employment in the suburbs [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2011, 19:19
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Many teachers choose to seek employment in the suburbs rather than facing low
salaries in the city.

Answer:
Many teachers choose to seek employment in the suburbs rather than face low salaries in the city.

My question:
Would this work?

Many teachers choose seeking employment in the suburbs rather than facing low salaries in the city.

I guess is is more correct to say "choose to" ? does the verb choose have to be followed by "to"?
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: manhattan gmat SC guide basic parallelism [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2011, 20:29
"choose to " is the correct usage. You "choose to do something" rather than "choose doing something"

Crick
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: manhattan gmat SC guide basic parallelism [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2011, 03:23
pinchharmonic wrote:
Many teachers choose to seek employment in the suburbs rather than facing low
salaries in the city.

Answer:
Many teachers choose to seek employment in the suburbs rather than face low salaries in the city.

My question:
Would this work?

Many teachers choose seeking employment in the suburbs rather than facing low salaries in the city.

I guess is is more correct to say "choose to" ? does the verb choose have to be followed by "to"?

Hi,

Nice question. Infact I had seen more than 1 question testing these concepts on the real GMAT exam (on my previous attempt). The trick here is to realize the difference in usage of Gerunds and infinitives.

Using a gerund suggests that you are referring to real activities or experiences.
Eg. The reporter likes living in New York. (i.e. he lives in NY and likes it).

Using an infinitive suggests that you are talking about potential or possible activities of experiences.
Eg. The reporter likes to live in New York whenever he works in the US. (i.e. he likes the option or possibility of living in NY whenever he comes to US).

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Re: Many teachers choose to seek employment in the suburbs [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2011, 04:01
Well, I think the problem here is "rather than do sth."
Manager
Manager

Re: manhattan gmat SC guide basic parallelism [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2011, 10:26
immaculatesahai wrote:
pinchharmonic wrote:
Hi,

Nice question. Infact I had seen more than 1 question testing these concepts on the real GMAT exam (on my previous attempt). The trick here is to realize the difference in usage of Gerunds and infinitives.

Using a gerund suggests that you are referring to real activities or experiences.
Eg. The reporter likes living in New York. (i.e. he lives in NY and likes it).

Using an infinitive suggests that you are talking about potential or possible activities of experiences.
Eg. The reporter likes to live in New York whenever he works in the US. (i.e. he likes the option or possibility of living in NY whenever he comes to US).

Hope this helps.

Hi, great point. I never thought of the difference between gerunds and infinitives. But to clarify, are you implying that the infinitive suggests some doubt, whereas the gerund doesn't?

What if we had

"The reporter would like living in New York"
"The report would like to live in New York"

Both emphasize some doubt, but I agree the first does sound stranger than the first.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: Many teachers choose to seek employment in the suburbs [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2011, 10:33
Also, its best to avoid -ing verb forms as much as possible unless the action in question is happenning in present continuous....
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
GMAT 1: Q V
GRE 1: 1600 Q800 V800
GRE 2: 1600 Q800 V800
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 2

Re: Many teachers choose to seek employment in the suburbs [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2011, 12:36
A little background: verb forms are different parts of speech based on verbs. For instance, the gerund choosing, the participle choosing used as a modifier, the verb choose, the infinitive to choose, are all different verb forms.

When SC answers offer you a choice among verb forms, the question tests either parallelism or idioms. (I haven't counted, but I think that choices among verb forms rarely turn out to require attention to both parallelism and idioms.)

The question you refer to was--in it's original form--a question about parallelism. As another commenter, uh, commented the parallel marker rather than means you need to make two logically comparable elements structurally similar.

OK, but what about your alternative sentence, Many teachers choose seeking employment in the suburbs rather than facing low salaries in the city?

I don't think that that is idiomatic. My ear says that it's fine to choose to do something (choose to seek employment) or to choose a noun (choose a job search), but that it's not fine to choose a simple gerund (choose seeking).

A couple of important caveats: First, the GMAT is never wrong about the GMAT, including idioms. If you show me a right answer that includes choose+simple gerund, I'm convinced. Second, verb-form idioms vary with forms of English, in a way that many other idioms do not. In particular, some uses of -ing words (whether continuous verbs, participles, gerunds) that are perfectly natural in Indian English are awkward and unidiomatic in American English. Since GMAC has recently announced that they no longer test "US centric" idioms, I'd be surprised to see choose+simple gerund tested. That's just my hunch about what "US centric" might mean, though. It's not GMAC's position, or even Manhattan GMAT's guess.

Here's Stacey Koprince's excellent blog on the subject, http://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index.php/2011/09/21/update-on-the-gmat-changes-from-larry-rudner/.

Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager

Re: Many teachers choose to seek employment in the suburbs [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2011, 14:56
MichaelS wrote:
A little background: verb forms are different parts of speech based on verbs. For instance, the gerund choosing, the participle choosing used as a modifier, the verb choose, the infinitive to choose, are all different verb forms.

When SC answers offer you a choice among verb forms, the question tests either parallelism or idioms. (I haven't counted, but I think that choices among verb forms rarely turn out to require attention to both parallelism and idioms.)

The question you refer to was--in it's original form--a question about parallelism. As another commenter, uh, commented the parallel marker rather than means you need to make two logically comparable elements structurally similar.

OK, but what about your alternative sentence, Many teachers choose seeking employment in the suburbs rather than facing low salaries in the city?

I don't think that that is idiomatic. My ear says that it's fine to choose to do something (choose to seek employment) or to choose a noun (choose a job search), but that it's not fine to choose a simple gerund (choose seeking).

A couple of important caveats: First, the GMAT is never wrong about the GMAT, including idioms. If you show me a right answer that includes choose+simple gerund, I'm convinced. Second, verb-form idioms vary with forms of English, in a way that many other idioms do not. In particular, some uses of -ing words (whether continuous verbs, participles, gerunds) that are perfectly natural in Indian English are awkward and unidiomatic in American English. Since GMAC has recently announced that they no longer test "US centric" idioms, I'd be surprised to see choose+simple gerund tested. That's just my hunch about what "US centric" might mean, though. It's not GMAC's position, or even Manhattan GMAT's guess.

Here's Stacey Koprince's excellent blog on the subject, http://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index.php/2011/09/21/update-on-the-gmat-changes-from-larry-rudner/.

michael, thanks for the great explanation. And yes, I randomly thought up the choose+seeking, not something I saw on a sample question or on Manhattan GMAT. Nevertheless is there a hard rule on this? Does it depend on the verb "choose?"

In the above case we have the verb form "choose", action verb, followed by either an infinitive or a gerund, and picking the infinitive is more correct. However, it seems I can't just indiscriminately apply that logic, ie. action verb + infinitive over gerund. Maybe I'm missing something here as choose may be a different type of verb?

I was thinking of other cases like the below where the meaning is totally different.

He laughs holding his belly
He laughs to hold his belly
Re: Many teachers choose to seek employment in the suburbs   [#permalink] 31 Oct 2011, 14:56