Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 16:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Many were in agreement to boycott the department store,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 8

Reviews Badge
Many were in agreement to boycott the department store, [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2012, 06:19
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (02:14) correct 50% (01:10) wrong based on 197 sessions
Many were in agreement to boycott the department store, writing emails in protest to the vice-president of the chain who was implored to take action about the unsavory hiring practices.

A. Many were in agreement to boycott the department store, writing emails in protest to the vice-president of the chain he was implored to take action about the unsavory hiring practices.

B. Many were agreeing to boycott the department store and even writing emails in protest to the vice-president of the chain in order that he be implored to take action on the unsavory hiring practices.

C. Agreeing to boycott the department store, many even wrote emails in protest to the vice-president of the chain imploring him to take action against the unsavory hiring practices.

D. Many agreed to boycott the department store and also to write emails to the vice-president of the chain in protest in which they implored him to take action against the unsavory hiring practices.

E. Many were in agreement that the department store be boycotted, writing protest emails to the vice-president of the chain imploring him to take action against those hiring practices considered unsavory.

OA:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 622 [1] , given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Many were in agreement to boycott the department store... [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2012, 08:52
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
stoy4o wrote:
Many were in agreement to boycott the department store, writing emails in protest to the vice-president of the chain who was implored to take action about the unsavory hiring practices.

A. Many were in agreement to boycott the department store, writing emails in protest to the vice-president of the chain he was implored to take action about the unsavory hiring practices.

B. Many were agreeing to boycott the department store and even writing emails in protest to the vice-president of the chain in order that he be implored to take action on the unsavory hiring practices.

C. Agreeing to boycott the department store, many even wrote emails in protest to the vice-president of the chain imploring him to take action against the unsavory hiring practices.

D. Many agreed to boycott the department store and also to write emails to the vice-president of the chain in protest in which they implored him to take action against the unsavory hiring practices.

E. Many were in agreement that the department store be boycotted, writing protest emails to the vice-president of the chain imploring him to take action against those hiring practices considered unsavory.

OA:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

B uses present continuous form, implying that the action is currently taking place. Rather than this implication, it would have been better if the answer choice had proceeded with the intended meaning.
"in order that " is incorrect. It implies that the mails, which were written, were in order. A total distortion of meaning.
Also the two parts,"boycotting and writing emails" are not simultaneous events. The actual meaning is that in order to protest, the mails were written.

A uses a verb+ing form after "comma". Whenever such happens, only two things can happen. They are:
i) the verb+ing is the consequence of the preceding clause.
ii) the verb+ing modifies the entire preceding clause.
Writing emails is NOT the result of "being in agreement to boycott the store".
"to take action AGAINST" is better than "to take action about".
Also "many were in agreement" is quite wordier. In simpler language, this idea can be mentioned as "many agreed to boycott bla bla bla".

E is quite similar to A in terms of wromng issues in that it is wordier, has verb+ing issue, and uses the clause "writing protest emails to the vice-president of the chain imploring him to take action against those hiring practices considered unsavory" which I feel is quite bad. "writing emails......imploring him..."together. STOP!

D- what is they referring to, "emails"????
The place of "in protest" implies that the vice-president of the chain, which is in protest.

C is the best among the answer choices.

Hope that helps.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 332 [0], given: 194

Re: Many were in agreement to boycott the department store, [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2014, 12:16

Hey Guys, dont you think that comma is missing before imploring in option C. without comma ing modifier modifies the preceding noun that is the chain in this case.

I selected D, because D is grammatically correct and subtle change in placement of "in protest" near to modifier "in which" looks necessary.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT Date: 04-30-2014
GPA: 3.24
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 106

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Many were in agreement to boycott the department store, [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2014, 12:59
I do not agree with your explanation of D though...I rejected C for the same reasons as you did & selected D

Now I see that D is ambiguous too..

Many agreed to boycott the department store and also to write emails to the vice-president of the chain in protest in which they implored him to take action against the unsavory hiring practices.

In protest modifies write emails

I guess it should be close to it..right now it is ambiguous to say what it specifically modifies..

This sounds better

Many agreed to boycott the department store and also to write emails in protest to the vice-president of the chain in which they implored him to take action against the unsavory hiring practices.

Experts Please correct me if I am wrong

Appreciate the efforts...KUDOS for all

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 12

Re: Many were in agreement to boycott the department store, [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2014, 14:57
stoy4o wrote:

OA:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

The main idea is they were in agreement to boycott the stores by writing emails. That takes out D as it uses incorrect style - and is wrong here. E is out because you don't take action against hiring practices.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 44

Re: Many were in agreement to boycott the department store, [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2014, 23:54
PiyushK wrote:

Hey Guys, dont you think that comma is missing before imploring in option C. without comma ing modifier modifies the preceding noun that is the chain in this case.

I selected D, because D is grammatically correct and subtle change in placement of "in protest" near to modifier "in which" looks necessary.

Even for the same reason I rejected option C.
I selected option D even though 'in protest-in which' combination looks awkward.

Without COMMA '-ing' modifies immediate preceding noun. Here neither Vice-president ( after removing mission critical OF-phrase) nor CHAIN makes sense.

Here none of the option looks correct.
Can any expert clear the doubts about the usage of '-ing' in option C?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 67

Re: Many were in agreement to boycott the department store, [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2014, 22:07
chetan86 wrote:
PiyushK wrote:

Even for the same reason I rejected option C.
I selected option D even though 'in protest-in which' combination looks awkward.

Without COMMA '-ing' modifies immediate preceding noun. Here neither Vice-president ( after removing mission critical OF-phrase) nor CHAIN makes sense.

Here none of the option looks correct.
Can any expert clear the doubts about the usage of '-ing' in option C?

I agree with you .. when I was trying I ruled all the options but C is indeed the best ... I regret for choosing D over C
Re: Many were in agreement to boycott the department store,   [#permalink] 08 Jul 2014, 22:07