Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 05:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Many winemakers use cork stoppers; but cork stoppers can

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Many winemakers use cork stoppers; but cork stoppers can [#permalink] New post 27 May 2005, 14:10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Many winemakers use cork stoppers; but cork stoppers can leak, crumble, or became moldy, so that those winemakers must often discard a significant proportion of their inventory of bottled wine. Bottlemaster plastic stoppers, which cannot leak, crumble, or mold, have long been available to winemakers, at a price slightly higher than that of traditional cork stoppers. Cork prices, however are expected to rise dramatically in the near future. Clearly, therefore, winemakers who still use cork but wish to keep production costs from rising will be forced to reconsider plastic stoppers. And since the wine-buying public's association of plastic stoppers with poor-quality wine is weakening, there is an excellent chance that the Bottlemaster plastic stopper will gain an increased share of the market for wine-bottle stoppers.
In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?
A)The first is a judgment that has been advanced in support of a position that the argument opposes; the second is the main conclusion of the argument.
B)The first is a judgment that has been advanced in support of a position that the argument opposes; the second is conclusion drawn in order to support the main conclusion of the argument.
C)The first is the main conclusion of the argument; the second provides evidence in support of that main conclusion.
D)The first is the main conclusion of the argument; the second is a restatement of that main conclusion.
E)The first is a conclusion drawn in order to support the main conclusion of the argument; the second is that main conclusion.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR : BF [#permalink] New post 27 May 2005, 17:02
Fact 1: Cork stoppers are inferior to plastic stoppers because they can leak crumble and/or become crumble.
Fact 2: Plastic stoppers is priced slightly higher than cork.
Fact 3: Cork price is going to rise dramatically.
Conclusion 1: Winemakers will have to consider using plastic stoppers.
Fact 4: Public don't associate plastic stopper with poor quality any more.
Conclusion 2: More plastic stoppers will be used in the wine industry.

A and B are eliminated because BF1 does not support a counter argument.
C and D are eliminated because BF1 is not the main conclusion. Conclusion 1 talks about winemakers will reconsider the idea, and the main conclusion is that they will actually choose to use plastic stoppers more.

I believe that E is the correct answer.
[/list]

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 May 2005, 23:20
I pick E aswell and I agree with the above explanation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 May 2005, 04:08
sonaketu wrote:
I pick E aswell and I agree with the above explanation.

I vote for D.

HongHu, you seem to have diluted the intensity of BF1 , wine makers would be "forced" to re-consider thier choice of not using plastic stoppers.(this conclusion is based on not only rising costs of cork stoppers but also due to the losses incurred due to it)

Now BF2 , in light on BF1 in addition to some perception changes may explain just why plastic stoppers would gain prominence (which is what BF1 concludes - rather indirectly that the remainder to the wine makers would soon be forced to switch - thereby increasing the share of plastic stoppers)

HMTG

HMTG.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 May 2005, 05:19
I believe the choice is between (D) and (E).

I think that the first bold statement is an intermediate conclusion. The main conclusion is that the pastic corks will gain a bigger market share. To prove this the author is states two possible facts

1. obviously as the costs increase the wine makers will switch to plastic corks
2. wine-buying public's association of plastic stoppers with poor-quality wine is weakening n
These people will probably switch to better quality wines and hence contribute to bigger customer base of other non-cheap wines.
Another reason to consider is the wines are cheap probably because of low priced cork screws.

I would go for (E)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 May 2005, 09:38
anandnk wrote:
I believe the choice is between (D) and (E).

I think that the first bold statement is an intermediate conclusion. The main conclusion is that the pastic corks will gain a bigger market share. To prove this the author is states two possible facts

1. obviously as the costs increase the wine makers will switch to plastic corks
2. wine-buying public's association of plastic stoppers with poor-quality wine is weakening n
These people will probably switch to better quality wines and hence contribute to bigger customer base of other non-cheap wines.
Another reason to consider is the wines are cheap probably because of low priced cork screws.

I would go for (E)

I think to arbitrate as to which is a stronger/main conclusion, lets do a small test.

If a conclusion is indeed strong is should find support in the stem.

Let us start with BF2 - is this conclusion strong - what if I were to say that there is nothing in the stem to support this conclusion, I say that though the wine makers may re-consider the use of cork stoppers they would not really do so, and hence after all , there might not be an increase in the market share for plastic stoppers. So this is not really strong.

BF1 - is this conclusion strong - If someone were to question as to why wine makers would have to reconsider , then the reasons are readily available. The conclusion is well grounded.

I still think that BF1 is the conclusion and BF2 a possible outcome.

Can we have the OA please ,maybe we can get a clue from it.

HMTG
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 May 2005, 12:53
I agree with anandnk that BF1 is the intermediate conclusion. BF1 plus fact 4 leads to the final conclusion that mkt share of plastic stopper would increase. The paragraph's main idea is not to argue that people will have to reconsider using plastic stoppers. If it is so then the argument can stop right before Fact 4. However its final conclusion is that not only people will think about using them, but also people will actually use them.

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 May 2005, 16:07
Well!! I dont have any OA. I wanted to confirm my answer.

Thanks everybody for participating.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 May 2005, 17:13
I will go for D
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 May 2005, 17:58
Agreeing with Honghu and Annadak, I also go with E.

The firest BF is drawn as conclusion to conclude the second conclusion.

Guys, lets have more BF questions, if possible, because at least one BF question is almost sure in real test. so I want to practice more BOLDFACE.

thanx jpv and all.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 May 2005, 20:31
agree with E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0