Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 13:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Many winemakers use cork stoppers; but cork stoppers can

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Many winemakers use cork stoppers; but cork stoppers can [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2007, 03:46
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

50% (02:33) correct 50% (00:47) wrong based on 7 sessions
Many winemakers use cork stoppers; but cork stoppers can leak, crumble, or become
moldy, so that those winemakers must often discard a significant proportion of their
inventory of bottled wine. Bottlemaster plastic stoppers, which cannot leak, crumble,
or mold, have long been available to winemakers, at a price slightly higher than that
of traditional cork stoppers. Cork prices, however, are expected to rise dramatically in
the near future. Clearly, therefore, winemakers who still use cork but wish to keep
production costs from rising will be forced to reconsider plastic stoppers
. And
since the wine-buying public’s association of plastic stoppers with poor-quality wine
is weakening, there is an excellent chance that the Bottlemaster plastic stopper
will gain an increased share of the market for wine-bottle stoppers.

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following
roles?
A. The first is a judgment that has been advanced in support of a position that the
argument opposes; the second is the main conclusion of the argument.

B. The first is a judgment that has been advanced in support of a position that the
argument opposes; the second is a conclusion drawn in order to support the
main conclusion of the argument.
C. The first is the main conclusion of the argument; the second provides evidence
in support of that main conclusion.
D. The first is the main conclusion of the argument; the second is a restatement
of that main conclusion.
E. The first is a conclusion drawn in order to support the main conclusion of the
argument; the second is that main conclusion.

The way to approach Bold CR is to find the conclusion asap. Here the conclusion I believe is (using the key words, clearly ...) In order for Wine makers to keep costs down they will probably buy plastic corks.

Now how does the two bold face statements play a role in the argument. well for one statement one is the conclusion, so I would look for answers that has statement one as the conclusion.

So A and B are out.

Here' i'm stuck between CDE because I'm unable to decide which one is the main conclusion and which one the intermediate.
(C) is tempting but not sure
(D). the second conclusion -- na not relevant..
(E). I thought the first statement is the main conclusion - ??

I'll wait for your responses. Thanks

GMAT the final frontie!!!.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2007, 07:26
E it is.
Bcz wine-makers are forced to reconsider plastics stoppers, this will lead to a possible increase in market share of plastics stoppers. So "the increase in market share" should be the main conclusion here.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Wine Makers - Bold [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2007, 09:19
alimad wrote:
Many winemakers use cork stoppers; but cork stoppers can leak, crumble, or become
moldy, so that those winemakers must often discard a significant proportion of their
inventory of bottled wine. Bottlemaster plastic stoppers, which cannot leak, crumble,
or mold, have long been available to winemakers, at a price slightly higher than that
of traditional cork stoppers. Cork prices, however, are expected to rise dramatically in
the near future. Clearly, therefore, winemakers who still use cork but wish to keep
. And
since the wine-buying public’s association of plastic stoppers with poor-quality wine
is weakening, there is an excellent chance that the Bottlemaster plastic stopper

roles?
A. The first is a judgment that has been advanced in support of a position that the

B. The first is a judgment that has been advanced in support of a position that the
C. The first is the main conclusion of the argument; the second provides evidence
D. The first is the main conclusion of the argument; the second is a restatement
of that main conclusion.
E. The first is a conclusion drawn in order to support the main conclusion of the

The way to approach Bold CR is to find the conclusion asap. Here the conclusion I believe is (using the key words, clearly ...) In order for Wine makers to keep costs down they will probably buy plastic corks.

Now how does the two bold face statements play a role in the argument. well for one statement one is the conclusion, so I would look for answers that has statement one as the conclusion.

So A and B are out.

Here' i'm stuck between CDE because I'm unable to decide which one is the main conclusion and which one the intermediate.

I say C.

But ya Im kinda stuck btwn CDE.

Actually now I say E. The second part is not fact.

So only E holds.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Wine Makers - Bold [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2007, 14:57
I pick D.

Main C : Clearly WM will switch to BM to stop rising costs.
Many winemakers currently use Cork-stoppers. If they switch to BM, BM market share is going to increase.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Wine Makers - Bold [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2007, 19:51
alimad wrote:
. And

roles?

of that main conclusion.

So A and B are out.

I used a process of elimination too. On reading the passage I felt that the second bold faced sentence was the main conclusion. Gaining Market Share is the main conclusion. There are many factors in support of that like the imminent rise of the Price of Cork, weakening association of pastic stoppers with poor quality wine etc.

I eliminated B,C,D. The first bold faced statement is more of a conclusion than a judgement, so I pick E.

Am I thinking it out correctly?
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2007, 20:19
i am going to say C...cause, any sentence that begins with therefore..is usually a conculsion of the argument..
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2007, 22:59
quangviet512 wrote:
E it is.
Bcz wine-makers are forced to reconsider plastics stoppers, this will lead to a possible increase in market share of plastics stoppers. So "the increase in market share" should be the main conclusion here.

AgreE
Director
Director
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Wine Makers - Bold [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2007, 23:28
alimad wrote:
Many winemakers use cork stoppers; but cork stoppers can leak, crumble, or become moldy, so that those winemakers must often discard a significant proportion of their inventory of bottled wine. Bottlemaster plastic stoppers, which cannot leak, crumble, or mold, have long been available to winemakers, at a price slightly higher than that of traditional cork stoppers. Cork prices, however, are expected to rise dramatically in the near future. Clearly, therefore, winemakers who still use cork but wish to keep production costs from rising will be forced to reconsider plastic stoppers. And since the wine-buying public’s association of plastic stoppers with poor-quality wine is weakening, there is an excellent chance that the Bottlemaster plastic stopper will gain an increased share of the market for wine-bottle stoppers.

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?
A. The first is a judgment that has been advanced in support of a position that the argument opposes; the second is the main conclusion of the argument.

B. The first is a judgment that has been advanced in support of a position that the argument opposes; the second is a conclusion drawn in order to support the main conclusion of the argument.
C. The first is the main conclusion of the argument; the second provides evidence in support of that main conclusion.
D. The first is the main conclusion of the argument; the second is a restatement of that main conclusion.
E. The first is a conclusion drawn in order to support the main conclusion of the argument; the second is that main conclusion.

C. its between C and E but prefer C because the second BF is developed to support the first BF. therefore should be C.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2007, 05:22
Vote E.

Reading the argument, the main conclusion is the second BF => B and C are gone.

The relationship of the first BF to the main conclusion (second BF): The first BF is an intermediate conclusion on the road to the main conclusion => That leaves us with E as the only realistic option.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2007, 05:24
Alimad,
OA please.
Manager
Manager

Re: CR - Wine Makers - Bold [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2007, 20:03
alimad wrote:
. And

roles?

of that main conclusion.

So A and B are out.

My pick E. First statement is a conclusion that wine makes will start using plastic stopper and because wine makers will use plastic stopper, bottlemasters' market share will increase
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Wine Makers - Bold [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2008, 09:57
I am with E, anyone have an OA?
Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 362

Kudos [?]: 1785 [0], given: 358

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: CR - Wine Makers - Bold [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2008, 22:29
Expert's post
E

main conclusion
of the argument.

of that main conclusion.

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Wine Makers - Bold [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2008, 16:07
alimad wrote:
. And

roles?

of that main conclusion.

So A and B are out.

I am thinking bw C and E. The difference bw C and E is that whether the first or the second boldface is a main conclusion. I picked C. Because I think the first bold is a conclusion.
What is the OA?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Wine Makers - Bold [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2008, 16:59
Conclusion portion is tricky. But if you analyze timeline order, the conclusion which stands chronologically last is final conclusion. Winemakers who which to reduce production cost choose plastic wine-bottle stoppers. But the market gain is chronologically much later, so it is better candidate for the overall conclusion.

Main Conclusion: there is an excellent chance that the Bottle master plastic stopper

Bolfface1: Supports main conclusion
Boldface2: Is conclusion

argument opposes; the second is the main conclusion of the argument. [First is judgment that supports the conclusion – eliminate it]

main conclusion of the argument. [First is judgment that supports the conclusion – eliminate it]

in support of that main conclusion. [Second is not evidence – it is also a conclusion – eliminate it]

of that main conclusion. [Second is main conclusion of the argument – eliminate it]

argument; the second is that main conclusion. [Hold it]

Answer: E
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Wine Makers - Bold [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2008, 13:23
E it is. The first is a logical conclusion that is drived at by considering the changing dynamics whereas the second is the author's conclusion. He is using the first as a logical foundation for his conclusion.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 590 Q39 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 10

Re: Many winemakers use cork stoppers; but cork stoppers can [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2012, 02:08
The OA is E. For your information.
Re: Many winemakers use cork stoppers; but cork stoppers can   [#permalink] 07 Mar 2012, 02:08