Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:06 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3903 [65]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 868 [17]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [2]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Many winemakers use cork stoppers; but cork stoppers can leak, crumble [#permalink]
alimad wrote:
Many winemakers use cork stoppers; but cork stoppers can leak, crumble, or become
moldy, so that those winemakers must often discard a significant proportion of their
inventory of bottled wine. Bottlemaster plastic stoppers, which cannot leak, crumble,
or mold, have long been available to winemakers, at a price slightly higher than that
of traditional cork stoppers. Cork prices, however, are expected to rise dramatically in
the near future. Clearly, therefore, winemakers who still use cork but wish to keep
production costs from rising will be forced to reconsider plastic stoppers
. And
since the wine-buying public’s association of plastic stoppers with poor-quality wine
is weakening, there is an excellent chance that the Bottlemaster plastic stopper
will gain an increased share of the market for wine-bottle stoppers.

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following
roles?
A. The first is a judgment that has been advanced in support of a position that the
argument opposes; the second is the main conclusion of the argument.

B. The first is a judgment that has been advanced in support of a position that the
argument opposes; the second is a conclusion drawn in order to support the
main conclusion of the argument.
C. The first is the main conclusion of the argument; the second provides evidence
in support of that main conclusion.
D. The first is the main conclusion of the argument; the second is a restatement
of that main conclusion.
E. The first is a conclusion drawn in order to support the main conclusion of the
argument; the second is that main conclusion.

The way to approach Bold CR is to find the conclusion asap. Here the conclusion I believe is (using the key words, clearly ...) In order for Wine makers to keep costs down they will probably buy plastic corks.

Now how does the two bold face statements play a role in the argument. well for one statement one is the conclusion, so I would look for answers that has statement one as the conclusion.

So A and B are out.

Here' i'm stuck between CDE because I'm unable to decide which one is the main conclusion and which one the intermediate.
(C) is tempting but not sure
(D). the second conclusion -- na not relevant..
(E). I thought the first statement is the main conclusion - ??

I'll wait for your responses. Thanks

I used a process of elimination too. On reading the passage I felt that the second bold faced sentence was the main conclusion. Gaining Market Share is the main conclusion. There are many factors in support of that like the imminent rise of the Price of Cork, weakening association of pastic stoppers with poor quality wine etc.

I eliminated B,C,D. The first bold faced statement is more of a conclusion than a judgement, so I pick E.

Am I thinking it out correctly?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [0]
Send PM
Re: Many winemakers use cork stoppers; but cork stoppers can leak, crumble [#permalink]
Vote E.

Reading the argument, the main conclusion is the second BF => B and C are gone.

The relationship of the first BF to the main conclusion (second BF): The first BF is an intermediate conclusion on the road to the main conclusion => That leaves us with E as the only realistic option.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
alimad wrote:
Many winemakers use cork stoppers; but cork stoppers can leak, crumble, or become
moldy, so that those winemakers must often discard a significant proportion of their
inventory of bottled wine. Bottlemaster plastic stoppers, which cannot leak, crumble,
or mold, have long been available to winemakers, at a price slightly higher than that
of traditional cork stoppers. Cork prices, however, are expected to rise dramatically in
the near future. Clearly, therefore, winemakers who still use cork but wish to keep
production costs from rising will be forced to reconsider plastic stoppers
. And
since the wine-buying public’s association of plastic stoppers with poor-quality wine
is weakening, there is an excellent chance that the Bottlemaster plastic stopper

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following
roles?
A. The first is a judgment that has been advanced in support of a position that the

B. The first is a judgment that has been advanced in support of a position that the
main conclusion of the argument.
C. The first is the main conclusion of the argument; the second provides evidence
D. The first is the main conclusion of the argument; the second is a restatement
of that main conclusion.
E. The first is a conclusion drawn in order to support the main conclusion of the

The way to approach Bold CR is to find the conclusion asap. Here the conclusion I believe is (using the key words, clearly ...) In order for Wine makers to keep costs down they will probably buy plastic corks.

Now how does the two bold face statements play a role in the argument. well for one statement one is the conclusion, so I would look for answers that has statement one as the conclusion.

So A and B are out.

Here' i'm stuck between CDE because I'm unable to decide which one is the main conclusion and which one the intermediate.

My pick E. First statement is a conclusion that wine makes will start using plastic stopper and because wine makers will use plastic stopper, bottlemasters' market share will increase
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [3]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
E

main conclusion
of the argument.

of that main conclusion.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 519 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Conclusion portion is tricky. But if you analyze timeline order, the conclusion which stands chronologically last is final conclusion. Winemakers who which to reduce production cost choose plastic wine-bottle stoppers. But the market gain is chronologically much later, so it is better candidate for the overall conclusion.

Main Conclusion: there is an excellent chance that the Bottle master plastic stopper

Bolfface1: Supports main conclusion
Boldface2: Is conclusion

argument opposes; the second is the main conclusion of the argument. [First is judgment that supports the conclusion – eliminate it]

main conclusion of the argument. [First is judgment that supports the conclusion – eliminate it]

in support of that main conclusion. [Second is not evidence – it is also a conclusion – eliminate it]

of that main conclusion. [Second is main conclusion of the argument – eliminate it]

argument; the second is that main conclusion. [Hold it]

Answer: E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 320 [0]
Send PM
E it is. The first is a logical conclusion that is drived at by considering the changing dynamics whereas the second is the author's conclusion. He is using the first as a logical foundation for his conclusion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 101
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 2.4
WE:Marketing (Health Care)
Send PM
Hi,

E is the right choice.

Look at the argument in this way.

BF2 results because of BF1.

Market share of Plastic bottlestoppers will increase because the operational costs of wine makers will increase when wooden stoppers are used.

Hence the causal effect relationship has to be looked and this approach is logical looking at the context.

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q39 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V38
Send PM
Letter E for me.

Without the first bold part, the last bold part would not be possible. Therefore, the second bold part is the main conclusion.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
IMO E
The first is a conclusion drawn in order to support the main conclusion of the
Last line is the main conclusion of the argument .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
alimad wrote:
Many winemakers use cork stoppers; but cork stoppers can leak, crumble, or become moldy, so that those winemakers must often discard a significant proportion of their inventory of bottled wine. Bottlemaster plastic stoppers, which cannot leak, crumble, or mold, have long been available to winemakers, at a price slightly higher than that of traditional cork stoppers. Cork prices, however, are expected to rise dramatically in the near future. Clearly, therefore, winemakers who still use cork but wish to keep production costs from rising will be forced to reconsider plastic stoppers. And since the wine-buying public’s association of plastic stoppers with poor-quality wine is weakening, there is an excellent chance that the Bottlemaster plastic stopper will gain an increased share of the market for wine-bottle stoppers.

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

(A) The first is a judgment that has been advanced in support of a position that the argument opposes; the second is the main conclusion of the argument.
(B) The first is a judgment that has been advanced in support of a position that the argument opposes; the second is a conclusion drawn in order to support the main conclusion of the argument.
(C) The first is the main conclusion of the argument; the second provides evidence in support of that main conclusion.
(D) The first is the main conclusion of the argument; the second is a restatement of that main conclusion.
(E) The first is a conclusion drawn in order to support the main conclusion of the argument; the second is that main conclusion.

So A and B are out.

From the reading of the argument, it becomes clear that the first boldface is a sub-conclusion drawn by the Bottle Master manufacturer, which is used to further strengthen or prove his final point about Bottle Master gaining an increased market share.

A The first is not supporting a position that the argument opposes. Rather, it is supporting a position that the argument supports.
B Same as A.
C The second is NOT supporting the Main conclusion. It is itself the Main Conclusion.
D The first is NOT the main conclusion. It is only a reason to believe in the main conclusion that comes later.
E CORRECT. Both parts match with our understanding of the argument.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
abhimahna

I am confused between options C and E. Could you please tell me if my thought process is right?

Bottlemaster plastic stopper will gain an increased share of market because wine makers will reconsider plastic stoppers.

That way, BF2 is the main conclusion.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
PPhoenix77 wrote:
abhimahna

I am confused between options C and E. Could you please tell me if my thought process is right?

Bottlemaster plastic stopper will gain an increased share of market because wine makers will reconsider plastic stoppers.

That way, BF2 is the main conclusion.

Hey PPhoenix77 ,

Yes, 2nd BF is the main conclusion and not the evidence. Hence, C is out.

Does that make sense?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIM
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
I took some time in reading the argument stem, but once the argument was clear to me working out with the options was easy - E as it was concluded to.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
How do we identify which is the main conclusion and which is the intermediate conclusion?

Either bold face looks like the main conclusion.
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2945 [3]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Kudos