Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 13:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Maps made by non-Native Americans to depict Native American

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Tepper '14
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 3

Maps made by non-Native Americans to depict Native American [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2011, 21:13
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Maps made by non-Native Americans to depict Native American land tenure, resources and
population distributions appeared almost as early as Europeans’ first encounters with Native
Americans and took many form: missionaries’ field sketches, explorers’ drawings, and surveyors’
maps, as well as maps rendered in connection with treaties involving land transfers. Most existing
maps of Native American lands are reconstructions that are based largely on archaeology, oral
reports, and evidence gathered from observers’ accounts in letter, diaries, and official reports;
accordingly, the accuracy of these maps is especially dependent on the mapmakers’ own
interpretive abilities.
Many existing maps also reflect the 150-year role of the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) in
administering tribal lands. Though these maps incorporate some information gleaned directly from
Native Americans, rarely has Native American cartography contributed to this official record,
which has been compiled, surveyed, and authenticated by non-Native American tribes and their
migrations and cultural features, as well as territoriality and contemporary trust lands, reflects the
origins of the data, the mixed purposes for which the maps have been prepared, and changes both I
United States government policy and in non-Native Americans’ attitudes toward an understanding
of Native Americans.

The passage mentions each of the following as a factor affecting current maps of Native
American lands EXCEPT
(A) United States government policy
(B) non-Native Americans’ perspective on Native Americans
(C) origins of the information utilized to produce the maps
(D) changes in wys that tribal lands are used
(E) the reason for producing the maps

I choose B as OA, 'cause no where is non-Native Americans’ perspective on Native Americans mentioned. And 'non-Native Americans’ attitudes toward an understanding of Native Americans' mentioned in the passage does NOT mean the same. And usually in GMAT RC, the difference in words and meaning is considered BIG time.

Could somone please explain, why I am wrong? I could not find this question anywhere on the GMATclub so posted. Am sorry if it has already been discussed, someone could please help me with getting the link to the previous discussions on this RC.

Thanks a lot!!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 87

CAT Tests
Re: OG RC question - Trying to understand the right answer [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2011, 22:36
IMO - E.
All the others influence the maps except the very reason of it.

What is the OA?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Tepper '14

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: OG RC question - Trying to understand the right answer [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2011, 22:58
bsaikrishna wrote:
IMO - E.
All the others influence the maps except the very reason of it.

What is the OA?

You are right SaiKrishna, the OA is E...

But why is so? Doesnt 'the mixed purposes for which the maps have been prepared' from the passage refer to E choice?
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 5.5+ years IT Prof.
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 24

GMAT Tests User
Re: Maps made by non-Native Americans to depict Native American [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2011, 23:30
Are you sure that the OA is E...Because I marked E, but GMATPRep considered it incorrect and showed D as the correct answer.

Could you please confirm the OA.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 383

Re: Maps made by non-Native Americans to depict Native American [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2012, 09:33
vivgmat wrote:
Are you sure that the OA is E...Because I marked E, but GMATPRep considered it incorrect and showed D as the correct answer.

Could you please confirm the OA.

OA is D according to GMATPrep software...
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 304

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Maps made by non-Native Americans to depict Native American [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2014, 03:29
OA is D per the GMAT prep software.

I marked (E) but I am not sure how to answer this one

Any inputs?

Rgds,
TGC!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 20

Maps made by non-Native Americans to depict Native American [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2014, 03:37
TGC wrote:
OA is D per the GMAT prep software.

I marked (E) but I am not sure how to answer this one

Any inputs?

I picked Choice D.

In that ridiculuosly long, final sentence, choice E can be found here:

...the mixed purposes for which the maps have been prepared...

Purposes = Reasons

Just as all the other choices are found as followed:

Choices A and B (United States government policy, non-Native Americans’ perspective on Native Americans) is found here:
...United States government policy and in non-Native Americans’ attitudes toward an understanding of Native Americans....

And, Choice C here:
...reflects the origins of the data...

The question specifically asks you what is not mentioned directly in the passage.
I always found the best way to tackle these kinds of questions: simply read carefully. Be mindful of your time allotment, but try to fully comprehend each answer choice.

The GMAT is a rather clever chameleon. :)
Maps made by non-Native Americans to depict Native American   [#permalink] 29 Jun 2014, 03:37