Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 16:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for th

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [1] , given: 0

Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for th [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2004, 04:59
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Marconi’s conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is precisely the opposite, a tool for communicating with a large, public audience.

A. Marconi’s conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is
B. Marconi conceived of the radio as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, but which is
C. Marconi conceived of the radio as a tool for private conversation that could substitute for the telephone; instead, it has become
D. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a tool for private conversation, a substitute for the telephone, which has become
E. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, other than what it is,

Category: Rhetorical construction; Logical predication
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Marconi [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2011, 10:06
Choice C!

Proper Idiom usage tested.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Re: Marconi [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2011, 01:09
Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is precisely the opposite, a tool for communicating with a large, public audience.

A. Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is - sentence reads like this "instead it is a tool for communicating with a large ..." <-Read this carefully, the sense is not clear.
B. Marconi conceived of the radio as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, but which is <- We need a subject after But. Which is not a substitute.
C. Marconi conceived of the radio as a tool for private conversation that could substitute for the telephone; instead, it has become - sentence reads like this "instead it has become a tool for communicating with a large ..." <- This makes clear meaning
D. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a tool for private conversation, a substitute for the telephone, which has become <-This which wrongly refers to Telephone.
E. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, other than what it is, <- ackward
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Q10: Marconis conception of the radio was as a substitute [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2012, 02:16
chose C after 4mins...only relied on how it sounds in my ear. Have to go through the explanations to clear it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudos

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Marconi [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2012, 09:44
I have chosen C for this answer choice:

A. It was very wordy and awkward to start the sentence with "Marconi's conception." Moreover, I felt that the pronoun "it" is ambiguous because it could refer back to the conception or radio. Also, the verb "is" should actually be "has become" to show the evolution of the radio.

B. The use of "but which" is strange and I'm not really sure what "which" is supposed to refer to.

C. This sentence is clear. The pronoun "it" does in fact refer to radio and the verb "has become" indicates the change in the radio's usage.

D. "Which" refers to telephone - this is incorrect.

E. "Other than what it is" is confusing. Is this supposed to modify something? Also, this does not connect with the other part of the sentence "...precisely the opposite."
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 24

Re: Marconi [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 10:33
C, agree with explanation above
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT Date: 09-08-2012
GPA: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Q10: Marconis conception of the radio was as a substitute [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 22:38
TriColor wrote:
Q10:
Marconi’s conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is precisely the opposite, a tool for communicating with a large, public audience.

A. Marconi’s conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is- A tool is modifying a telephone when it should be the radio
B. Marconi conceived of the radio as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, but which is-A tool is modifying a telephone when it should be the radio
C. Marconi conceived of the radio as a tool for private conversation that could substitute for the telephone; instead, it has become
D. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a tool for private conversation, a substitute for the telephone, which has become- again which is modifying telephone when it should refer to the radio
E. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, other than what it is,-A tool is modifying a telephone when it should be the radio

I was wondering if people think that this is a legitimate way to go about answering this question?

In all these 4 wrong answer choices we have a modifier refering to the "telephone" making it seem as though Marconi is refering to the telephone as though it was used for mass communication when he is actually refering to the radio.

Thanks = +1 Kudos

Study from reliable sources!!

Thursdays with Ron: http://www.manhattangmat.com/thursdays-with-ron.cfm

Gmat Prep Questions:
CR gmatprepsc-105446.html
SC gmatprepsc-105446.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Q10: Marconis conception of the radio was as a substitute [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 23:06
geno5 wrote:
TriColor wrote:
Q10:

A. Marconi’s conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is- A tool is modifying a telephone when it should be the radio
B. Marconi conceived of the radio as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, but which is-A tool is modifying a telephone when it should be the radio
D. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a tool for private conversation, a substitute for the telephone, which has become- again which is modifying telephone when it should refer to the radio
E. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, other than what it is,-A tool is modifying a telephone when it should be the radio

I was wondering if people think that this is a legitimate way to go about answering this question?

In all these 4 wrong answer choices we have a modifier refering to the "telephone" making it seem as though Marconi is refering to the telephone as though it was used for mass communication when he is actually refering to the radio.

This is a typical example of noun+noun modifiers. Whatever u mentioned about the modifiers is not correct.
A noun+ noun modifiers are versatile modifiers.
Unlike the structure of other modifiers, their structure does not restrict their modification to a particular entity in the sentence. For example, verb-ed or verb-ing modifier without a preceding comma can only modify the preceding noun entity.

The noun + noun modifiers are very versatile because despite having a definite structure, they don’t modify an entity in a definite position in the sentence. The noun + noun modifiers can modify the entire preceding clause, the preceding noun entity, or a noun in the middle of the sentence. The modification done by these modifiers is completely driven by the context of the sentence.

For more clarity pls refer articles by e-gmat: noun-noun-modifiers-before-we-start-discussing-about-the-137292.html
noun-noun-modifier-vs-verb-ing-modifier-as-discussed-in-137569.html

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE: Architecture (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 99

Marconi s conception of the radio was as a substitute for [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 04:47
Marconi’s conception of the radio was as a substitute
for the telephone, a tool for private conversation;
instead, it is
precisely the opposite, a tool for
communicating with a large, public audience.
(A) Marconi’s conception of the radio was as a
substitute for the telephone, a tool for private
conversation; instead, it is
(B) Marconi conceived of the radio as a substitute
for the telephone, a tool for private
conversation, but which is
(C) Marconi conceived of the radio as a tool for
private conversation that could substitute for the
telephone; instead, it has become
(D) Marconi conceived of the radio to be a tool for
private conversation, a substitute for the
telephone, which has become
(E) Marconi conceived of the radio to be a
conversation, other than what it is,

In C it refers to the last antecedent which is telephone right?SO according to the meaning of the sentence its wrong so i eliminated this option as wrong one.How come tat it can refer to radio instead of telephone? can some1 throw some light on this

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 123

Kudos [?]: 546 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Please do clarify my doubt pls [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 05:36
Expert's post
skamal7 wrote:
instead, it is

In C it refers to the last antecedent which is telephone right?SO according to the meaning of the sentence its wrong so i eliminated this option as wrong one.How come tat it can refer to radio instead of telephone? can some1 throw some light on this

Hii.
I am sticking myself to B and C, as other options are easy to eliminate.
See this question is basically testing the meaning intent i.e. how well one interprets the intended meaning.
B- Marconi conceived of the radio as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, but which is
Here "which" can refer both "radio" and "telephone". What we wanted in the correct choice was though radio was developed for purpose X, it has become useful tool for Y. This intent is not visible in B. In addition, there are two nouns in B that share equal intent being the subject and that's why relative pronoun is ambiguous here.
In C, what we needed is present. In addition, the subject throughout is "radio". So there is no ambiguity for "it" in order to refer to that noun.
I hope I expressed myself.
I got this question in GMAT Prep.
Regards

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please do clarify my doubt pls [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 05:39
skamal7 wrote:
instead, it is

sKamal,

First things first. Never look for pronoun ambiguity error in your initial pass over the answer choices. Pronoun ambiguity is accepted as far as the meaning is clear.

In C, it refers to Radio and not telephone.

Always follow POE( process of elimination). Since you were in doubt about pronoun ambiguity in C, you could have looked for other errors and could have found that all other answer choices are grammatically incorrect.

Hope this helps :) Please press kudos if it does to encourage me

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 70

Re: Q10: Marconis conception of the radio was as a substitute [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 21:37
All duplicate threads on this topic have been merged.

Please read and follow the Guidelines for Posting in Verbal GMAT forum before posting anything.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 36

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for th [#permalink] New post 22 May 2013, 04:43
Marconi conceived of the radio as a tool for private conversation that could substitute for the telephone; instead, it has become

In the above option, how can we be sure that "that" is referring to the clause "a tool for private conversation" but not the the noun "conversation"?
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 294

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for th [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2013, 20:27
anilisanil wrote:
Marconi conceived of the radio as a tool for private conversation that could substitute for the telephone; instead, it has become

In the above option, how can we be sure that "that" is referring to the clause "a tool for private conversation" but not the the noun "conversation"?

Hi there,

You have to go by meaning not by rules in SC, as GMAC is leaning towards meaning now a days.

When you say

a tool for private conversation that

here that modifies the whole entity "a tool for private conversation" Not only the tool

It is same as the exception of the 'WHICH' RULE

X,which (correctly refers to X=NOUN)

X + preposition + NOUN, which ( can make sense with the whole phrase knowing the fact that (Prep+Noun) modifies X)

Hope that helps !

Rgds,
TGC!

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 294

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for th [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2013, 20:31
I strongly disagree that the appositive 'a tool for private
conversation' should modify only radio.

Per the intent it is right to say

conceived of the X as a substitute of Y, a tool

When we know Y=a tool of blah blah then as X can substitute Y it can also act as a tool of blah blah.....

Rgds,
TGC!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for th [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2014, 01:08
Hi E-GMAT,

Could you please explain the sentence structure of the above question listed below and the below listed queries.

A. Marconi’s conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is
B. Marconi conceived of the radio as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, but which is
D. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a tool for private conversation, a substitute for the telephone, which has become
E. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, other than what it is,

My first query is that isn't "instead" makes the second clause a dependent clause.
Second is noun modifier "a tool for private conversation" isnt it correctly modifying a telephone as mention in option B rather than in C .
Third is in choice C . The what does that modifies ?

Thanks
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge
Re: Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for th [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2014, 10:16
Nitinaka19 wrote:
Hi E-GMAT,

Could you please explain the sentence structure of the above question listed below and the below listed queries.

My first query is that isn't "instead" makes the second clause a dependent clause.
Second is noun modifier "a tool for private conversation" isnt it correctly modifying a telephone as mention in option B rather than in C .

Thanks

Me too looking for the explaination from e-Gmat on this... Because it seems contrary to many of the rules e-Gmat c explains... or may be I am not able to implement them well... Help needed...

Regards,
Akash
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1170

Kudos [?]: 3031 [0], given: 176

Re: Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for th [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2014, 08:34
Expert's post
Nitinaka19 wrote:
Hi E-GMAT,

Thanks

Hi Nitinaka19,

Answer 1: The word “instead” does not make clause because it is an “adverb”. For example,

Slowly, he finished the hot chocolate.

This sentence is an independent clause. Yes, it starts with the adverb “slowly”. However, adjectives and adverbs do not make a clause a Dependent clause.

Answer 2: Well yes, in Choice B, “a tool for private conversation modifies “telephone”. However, Choice B is not incorrect for this modifier. It is incorrect for the use of “which”. Notice that “which” is preceded by a parallel marker “but”. Now this “which” clause is not parallel to anything in the sentence. That’s the error in Choice B.

Answer C: In Choice C, the “that” clause modifies “a tool for private conversation” because grammatically, that’s the entity that precedes the Relative Pronoun “that”. However, logically it modifies “radio” because the sentence says that Marconi conceived of radio as a tool…. This means radio = a tool for private conversation. So logically “that” refers to “radio” as well.

You can take a look at OG13#6 where another Noun Modifier (Verb-ed Modifier) grammatically refers to the preceding Noun Entity that in essence refers back to the Subject of the sentence.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: July 12, 2014 - Key to score 760 on the GMAT: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your GMAT strategy and create your own study plan to ace the GMAT. Click here to register.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge
Re: Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for th [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2014, 13:01
Quote:
Hi Nitinaka19,

Answer 1: The word “instead” does not make clause because it is an “adverb”. For example,

This sentence is an independent clause. Yes, it starts with the adverb “slowly”. However, adjectives and adverbs do not make a clause a Dependent clause.

Answer 2: Well yes, in Choice B, “a tool for private conversation modifies “telephone”. However, Choice B is not incorrect for this modifier. It is incorrect for the use of “which”. Notice that “which” is preceded by a parallel marker “but”. Now this “which” clause is not parallel to anything in the sentence. That’s the error in Choice B.

Answer C: In Choice C, the “that” clause modifies “a tool for private conversation” because grammatically, that’s the entity that precedes the Relative Pronoun “that”. However, logically it modifies “radio” because the sentence says that Marconi conceived of radio as a tool…. This means radio = a tool for private conversation. So logically “that” refers to “radio” as well.

You can take a look at OG13#6 where another Noun Modifier (Verb-ed Modifier) grammatically refers to the preceding Noun Entity that in essence refers back to the Subject of the sentence.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Thanks for the reply; however, I am looking for the three-step explanation....
Please let me know what is wrong in the below mentioned analysis:
Applying three-step-approach to the question.
Meaning – Marconi’s conception of the radio was as a substitute of telephone- a tool for private conversation. But this conception is precisely the opposite – radio is a tool for communicating with the large public audience.
Break Down – Subject and verbs are in bold
Cl1 - Marconi’s conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, [a tool for private conversation (appositive that describes the telephone)
; - clause connector
Cl2 - instead, it is precisely the opposite, [a tool for communicating with a large, public audience (appositive modifying ‘it’ that, in turn, could refer either to Radio or to Telephone)
Error Analysis-
S-V = No subject verb error
V-T = No verb tense error
Parallelism = No Parallelism error. Two parallel clauses connected with ;
Pronoun = “it” in second clause is ambiguous.
Modifier = “a tool… audience” describing second clause, but still modifies the subject of the second clause
Idiom = No error – “substitute for” is the correct idiom.
Meaning = clear
Other = No other error found

POE =
A) Incorrect - Ambiguous “it”
B) Correct – as ‘which’ seems referring to the Radio- logically
C) Incorrect - “that” in second clause refer to the conversation
D) Incorrect – “radio to be tool” incorrect idiom
E) Incorrect - “radio to be tool” incorrect idiom and ambiguous “it” into the second clause.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q49 V31
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for th [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2014, 00:39
egmat wrote:
Nitinaka19 wrote:
Hi E-GMAT,

Thanks

Hi Nitinaka19,

Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha,

When you say, In Choice B "which" is not parallel. I assume that you are considering the parallelism of two clauses- "First clause, but second clause".
Can you please explain how the second clause is not parallel to the first clause?
Also, if "which" modifies telephone then it changes the meaning of the sentence. Can we not use this to eliminate choice B?

Thanks,
Anuj
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for th [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2014, 12:00
Will go with C :

The statement requires a contrast. Only A and C seem to Provide the required contrast. (use of Instead)
In A, 'Marconi’s conception...was as' is wrong. Hence C.

Please correct me If My approach is incorrect.
Many thanks
Re: Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for th   [#permalink] 07 Apr 2014, 12:00