Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:51 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4585 [0]
Given Kudos: 606
Concentration: Technology, Other
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2754 [2]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIM
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
Re: Marconi’s conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephon [#permalink]
I am also looking for the explanation of the question asked here - Experts could anyone please help.

" It" in option A refers to the subject "Marconi’s conception" whereas in option C "It" refers to "radio" . Please explain how it is referring to radio in place of the subject of the first independent clause.
A. Marconi’s conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is
C. Marconi conceived of the radio as a tool for private conversation that could substitute for the telephone; instead, it has become[/quote][/quote]
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: Marconi’s conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephon [#permalink]
Expert Reply
DAakash7 wrote:
I am also looking for the explanation of the question asked here - Experts could anyone please help.

" It" in option A refers to the subject "Marconi’s conception" whereas in option C "It" refers to "radio" . Please explain how it is referring to radio in place of the subject of the first independent clause.
A. Marconi’s conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is
C. Marconi conceived of the radio as a tool for private conversation that could substitute for the telephone; instead, it has become

Take option C it the following way:

The radio could substitute for the telephone; instead it has become......

Instead of using "the radio", the sentence uses another pronoun "that" that in turn refers to the "radio".

I would suggest that keep pronoun ambiguity as the last resort to eliminate an answer. GMAT has been flexible on this aspect, (especially when the pronoun is the subject of a clause and refers to the subject of another clause in the sentence.... whatsoever this is not exactly such an usage, but could be reformulated in the same line.)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2333 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Send PM
The correct answer is C
In the construction of this sentence, meaning should take the highest priority.
The sentence is trying to the convey - Marconi wanted the radio to become a preferred device for private conversation by replacing telephones but instead radio has become a device for public audience- the opposite of what Marconi wanted it to be.

Meaning unclear. Hard to decipher whether it Radio or telephone, which is a tool for private conversation.

B. Marconi conceived of the radio as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, but which is
Meaning unclear. Hard to decipher whether it Radio or telephone, which is a tool for private conversation.

C. Marconi conceived of the radio as a tool for private conversation that could substitute for the telephone; instead, it has become
Correct Meaning. No ambiguity. The "IT" after the semicolon clearly refers to the radio. so there is no ambiguity in pointing out which device has become tool for public audience.

D. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a tool for private conversation, a substitute for the telephone, which has become
Meaning Wrong:- This sentence blatantly says that Telephone has become a too for public audience.

E. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, [b]other than what it is[/b],
Wrong meaning, unnecessary wordy, All sorts of grammatical problems in this one

marine wrote:
Marconi’s conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is precisely the opposite, a tool for communicating with a large, public audience.

B. Marconi conceived of the radio as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, but which is
D. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a tool for private conversation, a substitute for the telephone, which has become
E. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, other than what it is,

OG16 SC113
Category: Rhetorical construction; Logical predication
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [2]
Given Kudos: 905
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: Q167 V147
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,
I'm not an expert,but let me try.

-- modifier error : "a tool for private conversation" is supposed to refer to radio

-- same as option A

-- This is our guy.Meaning is clear."it" refers to radio.

-- not sure but i think it's an idiom usage;conceive of something as..;it is the radio,not telephone,that has become a device for public audience.

E. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, other than what it is
-- not sure but i think it's an idiom usage;conceive of something as..;modifier error : "a tool for private conversation" is supposed to refer to radio
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Marconi’s conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is precisely the opposite, a tool for communicating with a large, public audience.

E. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, other than what it is,

Let's look at this from the modification angle. Marconi conceived radio as a gadget for private talk even when then telephone was existent but was not such a private tool. Hence, the tool for private conversation should always co - exist or stay next to next with radio so that the modification is in order. As per that tenet, only C and D qualify as the genuine contenders
Between C and D, D as a wrong idiom of 'conceived' to be and a wrong antecedence for the pronoun 'which', referring to the telephone.
In C there is no logical dilemma about the antecedence of 'it' since it is the radio that has bee become a mass media tool

Hence C all the way.

Originally posted by daagh on 28 Mar 2017, 09:45.
Last edited by daagh on 03 May 2017, 07:30, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [1]
Given Kudos: 275
Kudos
1) Marconi’s conception (subject)………………..was (verb)
2) Phrase “a tool for private conversation” refers to telephone but it actually refers to radio
Marconi conceived of radio as a tool for private conversation but instead it is a tool for communicating with a large audience.
3) It is illogical to say that Marconi’s conception was as a tool……………

Incorrect

Again incorrect placement of the phrase ‘ a tool……….’

‘that’ when used as a subject of the dependent clause refers to the closes noun but in this (I think) the usage is fine because ‘for private conversation’ cannot be logically placed anywhere else.
So that refers to tool. GMATNinja is this fine according to you?
Use of present perfect ‘has become’ is also fine because it’s still true. Radio is still a tool for private conversation.

Correct choice.

Conceived to be is incorrect.
Conceive of someone or something as ………..is correct.

Incorrect for the reasons stated above.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Shiv2016 wrote:
1) Marconi’s conception (subject)………………..was (verb)
2) Phrase “a tool for private conversation” refers to telephone but it actually refers to radio
Marconi conceived of radio as a tool for private conversation but instead it is a tool for communicating with a large audience.
3) It is illogical to say that Marconi’s conception was as a tool……………

Incorrect

Again incorrect placement of the phrase ‘ a tool……….’

‘that’ when used as a subject of the dependent clause refers to the closes noun but in this (I think) the usage is fine because ‘for private conversation’ cannot be logically placed anywhere else.
So that refers to tool. GMATNinja is this fine according to you?
Use of present perfect ‘has become’ is also fine because it’s still true. Radio is still a tool for private conversation.

Correct choice.

Conceived to be is incorrect.
Conceive of someone or something as ………..is correct.

Incorrect for the reasons stated above.

Nice explanation, Shiv2016! :thumbup:

You're right about the usage of "that" as a noun modifier. The prepositional phrase "for private conversations" also modifies "tool", and it's okay for a noun modifier to “reach behind” a prepositional phrase (see "Usage #4" in this Topic of the Week for more on this).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V31
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Agree with the correct answer choice above. However, can someone explain me the use of ; (Semi-Colon) I am getting this wrong every time? I know, we need to use a semi-colon when talking about 2 independent clauses. In the correct sentence here -

C. Marconi conceived of the radio as a tool for private conversation that could substitute for the telephone; instead, it has become -- > SV Pair are highlighted as both are independent clause.

What don't I understand is how the second clause can stand alone? What I know from my knowledge that the independent clause can stand alone. Here --> instead, it has become How do we know what are we talking about? to understand the meaning of 'it' we need to backlog the other clause. Right?

I know I am missing something, help me with this.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
amitpandey25 wrote:
Agree with the correct answer choice above. However, can someone explain me the use of ; (Semi-Colon) I am getting this wrong every time? I know, we need to use a semi-colon when talking about 2 independent clauses.

Hi amitpandey25, you are absolutely correct. However, just for sake of clarity, we need to make a bit of a distinction here:

Two independent clauses can definitely be separated by a semicolon; however, the the presence of a semicolon does not mandate that two independent clauses must be present. In other words, if semicolon adds clarity to parallel parts of a sentence, then semicolon can be used between phrases as well.

Quote:
In the correct sentence here -

C. Marconi conceived of the radio as a tool for private conversation that could substitute for the telephone; instead, it has become -- > SV Pair are highlighted as both are independent clause.

What don't I understand is how the second clause can stand alone? What I know from my knowledge that the independent clause can stand alone. Here --> instead, it has become How do we know what are we talking about? to understand the meaning of 'it' we need to backlog the other clause. Right?

I know I am missing something, help me with this.

Words such as instead, moreover, likewise, and therefore are not subordinating conjunctions. So, basically these words can start an independent clause.

This is often a source of confusion for the candidates and hence, our book Sentence Correction Nirvana makes a special mention of these words and provides few examples. Have attached the corresponding section for your reference.
Attachments

instead.pdf [10.79 KiB]
Downloaded 138 times

Quote:
Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is precisely the opposite, a tool for communicating with a large, public audience.

(A) Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is

(B) Marconi conceived of the radio as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, but which is

(C) Marconi conceived of the radio as a tool for private conversation that could substitute for the telephone; instead, it has become

(D) Marconi conceived of the radio to be a tool for private conversation, a substitute for the telephone, which has become

(E) Marconi conceived of the radio to be a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, other than what it is,

Hi Expert,
In C, ''it'' has been used for ''Radio''. Here, ''radio'' is the object of preposition ''of''. As far I know, object of the preposition can't be subject anymore in the sentence. If the red part makes sense, why ''it'' has been used as antecedent of ''radio''?
Thanks__
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AsadAbu wrote:
Hi Expert,
In C, ''it'' has been used for ''Radio''. Here, ''radio'' is the object of preposition ''of''. As far I know, object of the preposition can't be subject anymore in the sentence. If the red part makes sense, why ''it'' has been used as antecedent of ''radio''?
Thanks__

Hi AsadAbu, you might be mixing two things here.

Object of the preposition can't be subject in a given clause. That clause in this sentence is:

Marconi conceived of the radio as a tool for private conversation that could substitute for the telephone

However, we cannot apply this rule across clauses.

In option C, instead, it has become... marks the start of a new Independent clause. So, we cannot apply the prepositional phrase rule in this clause (simply because we don't have the prepositional phrase in this clause; the prepositional phrase was in the previous clause).

The question you perhaps want to ask is:

Can a pronoun (it in this case) refer to an object of a prepositional phrase? The answer is yes. There are numerous such instances in various official examples.
EducationAisle wrote:
AsadAbu wrote:
Hi Expert,
Thanks__

Hi AsadAbu, you might be mixing two things here.

Object of the preposition can't be subject in a given clause. That clause in this sentence is:

Marconi conceived of the radio as a tool for private conversation that could substitute for the telephone

However, we cannot apply this rule across clauses.

In option C, instead, it has become... marks the start of a new Independent clause. So, we cannot apply the prepositional phrase rule in this clause (simply because we don't have the prepositional phrase in this clause; the prepositional phrase was in the previous clause).

The question you perhaps want to ask is:

Can a pronoun (it in this case) refer to an object of a prepositional phrase? The answer is yes. There are numerous such instances in various official examples.

Hi EducationAisle, I'm very happy with your answer. Still, i'm little bit confused for the following official question!
HERE IS THE OFFICIAL QUESTION. OFFICIAL GUIDE 13TH EDITION. QUESTION# 7.

Quote:
The intricate structure of the compound insect eye, having hundreds of miniature eyes called ommatidia, help explain why scientists have assumed that it evolved independently of the vertebrate eye.

(A) having hundreds of miniature eyes called ommatidia, help explain why scientists have assumed that it

(B) having hundreds of miniature eyes that are called ommatidia, helps explain why scientists have assumed that they

(C) with its hundreds of miniature eyes that are called ommatidia, helps explain scientists' assuming that they

(D) with its hundreds of miniature eyes called ommatidia, help explain scientists' assuming that it

(E) with its hundreds of miniature eyes called ommatidia, helps explain why scientists have assumed that it

In this question, the official answer is E.

Official Answer in a correct format:
The intricate structure of the compound insect eye, with its hundreds of miniature eyes called ommatidia, helps explain why scientists have assumed that it evolved independently of the vertebrate eye.

In this sentence, the color part ''it'' indicates ''the compound insect eye'' (object of the preposition). So, do you think that ''this sentence consists of at least 2 clause?''

Also, how can someone know/convinced (apart from meaning) that ''it'' does not indicate ''the intricate structure''?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Send PM
Kudos