Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 01:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for th

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [1] , given: 0

Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for th [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2004, 04:59
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Marconi’s conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is precisely the opposite, a tool for communicating with a large, public audience.

A. Marconi’s conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is
B. Marconi conceived of the radio as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, but which is
C. Marconi conceived of the radio as a tool for private conversation that could substitute for the telephone; instead, it has become
D. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a tool for private conversation, a substitute for the telephone, which has become
E. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, other than what it is,

Category: Rhetorical construction; Logical predication
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 2

Re: sentence correction problem [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2009, 23:25
This post received
KUDOS
Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is] precisely the opposite, a tool for communicating with a large, public audience.

A. Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is
B. Marconi conceived of the radio as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for provate conversation, but which is
C. Marconi conceived of the radio as a tool for private conversation that could substitute for the telephone; instead, it has become
D. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a tool for private conversation, a substitute for the telephone, which has become
E. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, other than what it is,[/quote]

a it refers to conception and not telephone
b "but which" should just be "which"
c looks good
d to be is unnecessary, which modifies conversation when the sentence needs it to modify radio
e to be is unnecessary and sentence is weird

i go with c
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: sentence correction problem [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2009, 23:32
yes...tha ans shud be C.
Reason: correct idiom is conceived of ........as

I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Manager
Manager
Schools: Anderson
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 3

Re: sentence correction problem [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2009, 09:13
C maybe the answer. I'm not sure why cant E be the answer.

what is the OA ?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: sentence correction problem [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2009, 15:20
I don't like any of the chioces...sorry :)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: sentence correction problem [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2009, 17:17
I would go with C.

A. Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is - This implies that the conception was the substitute for telephone, but actually it is the telephone that is the substitute and not the conception
B. Marconi conceived of the radio as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for provate conversation, but which is - but which is seems to modify conversation.
D. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a tool for private conversation, a substitute for the telephone, which has become - seems to imply that the telephone has become the tool for public conversation
E. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, other than what it is, - too wordy
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 179 [1] , given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: sentence correction problem [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2009, 08:31
This post received
KUDOS
IMO C

because it is emphasizing on "tool for private conversation" and not the telephone.
which is the opposite of "a tool for communicating with a large, public audience" as mentioned in the sencond part after ';'

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: sentence correction problem [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2009, 08:47
duplicate of
sentence-correction-problem-79691.html

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Current Student
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: sentence correction problem [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2009, 15:53
goldeneagle94 wrote:
C maybe the answer. I'm not sure why cant E be the answer.

what is the OA ?

because it will go back refer to telephone and this will distort the meaning of the sentence.
Manager
Manager
Schools: AGSM '16
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 28

Re: sentence correction problem [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2009, 06:48
I would go with C too.

@gotomba: "it" refers to the radio.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: sentence correction problem [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2009, 08:24
AceofSpades wrote:
I would go with C too.

How can you tell that "it" refers to the radio? Shouldn't it refer to the closest noun, telephone?
Manager
Manager
Schools: AGSM '16

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 28

Re: sentence correction problem [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2009, 09:29
gotomba wrote:
AceofSpades wrote:
I would go with C too.

How can you tell that "it" refers to the radio? Shouldn't it refer to the closest noun, telephone?

Well, the word "instead" in the sentence suggests that the second part of the sentence is the converse of the first part: "Macroni conceived of the radio as a tool for private conversation that could substitute for the telephone; instead, it has become...". We know that the second part will restate the function of the radio as a tool and in doing so will state a function opposite to the one mentioned in the first part of the sentence.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: sentence correction problem [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2009, 14:42
C seems best

Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is precisely the opposite, a tool for communicating with a large, public audience.

A. Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is - It doesn't refer to Radio
B. Marconi conceived of the radio as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for provate conversation, but which is - but which not suitable
C. Marconi conceived of the radio as a tool for private conversation that could substitute for the telephone; instead, it has become -No issues
D. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a tool for private conversation, a substitute for the telephone, which has become - i think instead is required here
E. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, other than what it is, - other than is Awkward
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: sentence correction problem [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2009, 23:29
but OG in their explanation always mentions that "it" should always has a clear antecedent not an implied one
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

Re: sentence correction problem [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2009, 02:25
scorpio7 wrote:
Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is precisely the opposite, a tool for communicating with a large, public audience.

A. Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is
B. Marconi conceived of the radio as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for provate conversation, but which is
E. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, other than what it is,

It is C for me too.
A and B wrongly uses the tense with "is".
E changes the meaning

D uses "conceived X to be Y", which is wordy

C uses correctly (?) the idiom "conceived X as Y"
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Q10: Marconis conception of the radio was as a substitute [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2009, 15:42
Q10:
Marconi’s conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is precisely the opposite, a tool for communicating with a large, public audience.

A. Marconi’s conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is
B. Marconi conceived of the radio as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, but which is
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: sentence correction problem [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2009, 07:05
scorpio7 wrote:

C for me too
A : compare conception with telephone
B : but which ??? which has no clear antecedent
D and E : conceive of ... as is a correct idiom
C : although I am not comfortable with it, C is the best option
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 1

Re: SC: Marconi's conception [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2010, 14:09
This post received
KUDOS
IMO B

Whatever conceived is contrasted in the other part of the sentence.

Eliminate AC : Instead can be used for replacement, not for contrast
Eliminate D: A, which(telephone) has become B - it represents transition from A to B, change in meaning.
Eliminate E: other than what it is - it (pronoun ambiguity) = telephone or tool?

OA please!!

Consider kudos for the post if OA == IMO :beer
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: SC: Marconi's conception [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2010, 02:16
Thanks for the explanation achin.
OA please.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager