Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 04:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for th

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 58 [1] , given: 0

Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for th [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2004, 04:59
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Marconi’s conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is precisely the opposite, a tool for communicating with a large, public audience.

A. Marconi’s conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is
B. Marconi conceived of the radio as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, but which is
C. Marconi conceived of the radio as a tool for private conversation that could substitute for the telephone; instead, it has become
D. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a tool for private conversation, a substitute for the telephone, which has become
E. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, other than what it is,

Category: Rhetorical construction; Logical predication
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 6

Re: SC: Marconi's conception [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2010, 06:39
i picked (B) but realized it is wrong after reading achin's explanation.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 254 [1] , given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Marconi's conception [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2010, 00:00
This post received
KUDOS
achingupta wrote:
OA please ....

OA is C.
It is a question from OG12th ed.

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 254 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Marconi's conception [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2010, 09:17
AM still puzzled as per the antecedent of "it" as used in the sentence:

"instead, it..." The explanation in OG12 says, "the pronoun 'it' positioned as the subject of the
final verb 'has become' refers back to 'radio'..."

Please any reason or rule of thumb why "it" could refer to radio unambiguously?

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 395 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Marconi's conception [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2010, 10:28
C. Marconi conceived of the radio as a tool for private conversation that could substitute for the telephone; instead, it has become ----> There is a rule in grammar which says that pronoun in the subject position of clause 2 can refer to it (radio in clause 1). it cannot be used for "Marconi"

E.g Jim is working harder than Jack, as he wants the scholarship. ----> he refers to Jim (not Jack)

Pls refer to post pronoun-95757.html

gmatbull wrote:
AM still puzzled as per the antecedent of "it" as used in the sentence:

"instead, it..." The explanation in OG12 says, "the pronoun 'it' positioned as the subject of the
final verb 'has become' refers back to 'radio'..."

Please any reason or rule of thumb why "it" could refer to radio unambiguously?

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Marconi's conception [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2010, 16:29
TriColor wrote:
Q10:
Marconi’s conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is precisely the opposite, a tool for communicating with a large, public audience.

A. Marconi’s conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is
B. Marconi conceived of the radio as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, but which is
C. Marconi conceived of the radio as a tool for private conversation that could substitute for the telephone; instead, it has become
D. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a tool for private conversation, a substitute for the telephone, which has become
E. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, other than what it is,

C for me. "it" correctly refers to the subject of the sentense which is radio.

Hard work is the main determinant of success

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 231 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Marconi's conception [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 11:50
A, B out for wrong modifier.
D, E out for unidiomatic (conceived to be).

So, clear C.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Marconi's conception [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 00:28
TriColor wrote:
Q10:

In (c) "Marconi conceived of the radio as a tool for private conversation that could substitute for the telephone; instead, it has become"
What "does that could substitute for the telephone" modify?
Does not "that" modify the moun preceding it?
Please clarify

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 78 [1] , given: 65

GMAT Tests User
Marconis conception of the radio was as a substitute for the [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 22:50
This post received
KUDOS

Consider KUDOS if my post was helpful. :-D

My Debrief: 750-q49v42-105591.html#p825487

Last edited by scheol79 on 26 Oct 2010, 01:17, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 65

GMAT Tests User
Re: Rhetorical construction; logical predication [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 23:01
If anyone answers C, could you please explain the use of that and it?

Marconi conceived of the radio as a tool for private conversation that could substitute for the telephone; instead, it has become

Aren't noun modifiers such as which and that(when that is used to modify a noun) supposed to be placed right next to the noun they are modifying? I can see that 'that' is modifying radio from the context of the sentence, but I want to know more about the rules governing exceptions like this one.

I know that when two clauses are connected by a conjunction, you can use a pronoun to refer back to the subject of the first clause. In this case, Marconi is the subject which can not be represented by the pronoun it, so you may assume it is referring to radio. I remember running into several questions that are very unforgiving about the use of pronoun like this, so I am a bit puzzled about the use of it here. I don't recall any from top of my head, but I will post them if I come across another.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 1561 [1] , given: 249

Re: Rhetorical construction; logical predication [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 23:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
D and E gone because of wrong idiom, -conceived of to be -

A gone because of -conception of as -

B is gone because of very ambiguous reference of - which - . -Which - should point to the radio as per the essence of the passage, but here, seems to point to the telephone or the conversation or a tool, every thing other than the radio.

C is the lone winner

1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 177

Kudos [?]: 933 [1] , given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Rhetorical construction; logical predication [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 23:20
This post received
KUDOS
scheol79 wrote:
If anyone answers C, could you please explain the use of that and it?

Marconi conceived of the radio as a tool for private conversation that could substitute for the telephone; instead, it has become

conceived of X as Y- correct idiom. => only C and B are contenders.

radio as a tool that could substitute for the telephone -> this is the correct usage. But we may insert 'for private conversation' as a mission critical modifier. Read MGMAT SC advance chapters for this.

"It is used for radio". You can not use "it" for either tool or telephone.

Do not consider the pronoun ambiguity a hard and fast rule for the elimination.

You are here to select the best answer among 5 choices, not to select the best answer choice in the universe.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 5

Re: Rhetorical construction; logical predication [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 23:48
Straight C because of the Idiomatic usage of 'Concieved'

Please give me kudos, if you like the above post.
Thanks.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 1561 [1] , given: 249

Re: Rhetorical construction; logical predication [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2010, 01:07
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Does the pronoun modifier - that - always have to modify the noun just before it?

I like ground coffee from India that is very enticing

I believe this sentence to be correct although India may not be very enticing.

Should a pronoun always refer to the subject of the earlier sentence? Not necessarily, It may also stand for the object.

Last week the mail order company sent me a book on grammar; unfortunately it contained anything but grammar.

In this sentence, what does the - it - refer to? The mail- order company? Nay, far from it;

I believe that context is also in contention and not the structure alone.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 65

GMAT Tests User
Re: Rhetorical construction; logical predication [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2010, 12:48
Thanks Daagh and gurpreetsingh. SC gets more interesting as I dig deeper. : p

You guys are absolutely right about these two issues.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 31 [1] , given: 87

GMAT Tests User
Marconi [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2011, 21:43
This post received
KUDOS
Can someone explain this using elimination in detail?

Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is precisely the opposite, a tool for communicating with a large, public audience.

A. Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: Marconi [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2011, 23:11
In the above sentence, Conceived is used as a participle or as a verb?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 87

GMAT Tests User
Re: Marconi [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2011, 23:13
aielman wrote:
In the above sentence, Conceived is used as a participle or as a verb?

Yes, I had the same question...
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 288 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Marconi [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2011, 02:33
Verb - with Marconi as the subject.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Marconi [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2011, 10:06
Choice C!

Proper Idiom usage tested.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Re: Marconi [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2011, 01:09
Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is precisely the opposite, a tool for communicating with a large, public audience.

A. Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is - sentence reads like this "instead it is a tool for communicating with a large ..." <-Read this carefully, the sense is not clear.
B. Marconi conceived of the radio as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, but which is <- We need a subject after But. Which is not a substitute.
C. Marconi conceived of the radio as a tool for private conversation that could substitute for the telephone; instead, it has become - sentence reads like this "instead it has become a tool for communicating with a large ..." <- This makes clear meaning
D. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a tool for private conversation, a substitute for the telephone, which has become <-This which wrongly refers to Telephone.
E. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, other than what it is, <- ackward
Re: Marconi   [#permalink] 30 Jun 2011, 01:09