Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 10:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Markers in Parallelism

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1238

Kudos [?]: 3421 [0], given: 183

Re: Markers in Parallelism [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2013, 13:37
Expert's post
ankurjohar wrote:
Hello Team,

I am able to eliminate all wrong choices and left with A and D as the contender option:

Eliminated A because it says

Scientists are now able to create
retaining
altering
and adding

1. list is not parallel
2. marker list is starting with 'ing' modifier, i felt it means because of retaining X, scientists are able to create. Which is again not the intended meaning of the sentence. Hence, incorrect.

Can you please tell the right answer and please explain what is wrong in my elimination process.

Regards,
Ankur

Hi Ankur,

The detailed solution to this question has been posted just a few posts above. Please refer to that post for any further clarification.

Hope this helps. :-)
Wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: August 24, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Markers in Parallelism [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2013, 17:17
Hi Shraddha,

Thanks for awesome articles - this article and many others - that you and e-gmat team have posted. Now coming to my doubt about the questions:

Q1 - I chose A. I discarded B, because I thought "grayed and white bones" change the meaning. Grayed - past participle - implies bones have been greyed by something or someone. The original statement, however, never says that. I later realized - only after reading the explanation that shined is wrong too. Please clarify, if the 2nd statement were -

[color=#003471]grayed and white bones, shining pebbles, and discarded plastic figurines and bottle caps

- would it be correct?[/color]

PS: Additional question - not related to original question - Is my if then construction in the sentence above is right(red colored)?

Q2 - I chose C, but I am confused between A & C. Do we necessarily need "did" in this sentence. The sentence says -

Researchers from the XYZ notified about something to the FDA earlier than researchers from the ABC.

I think above sentence can only mean - Researchers from XYZ notified earlier than Researchers from the ABC - and not researchers from XYZ notified to FDA earlier than to researchers from the ABC. IMO - to imply the 2nd meaning use of "to" is necessary after "earlier than." Although I understand C is better, I am not sure whether A is wrong."

Thanks in advance..........

egmat wrote:
prep wrote:
1. A male bowerbird uses just about anything ̶ gray and white bones, shining pebbles, and discarded plastic figurines and bottle caps ̶ to decorate his courtyard to attract a female.

A. gray and white bones, shining pebbles, and discarded plastic figurines and bottle caps - shining is not parallel to discarded. The former is a present participle and the latter, past participle.
B. grayed and white bones, shined pebbles, and discarded plastic figurines and bottle caps - shined/discarded and grayed - all past participles behaving as adjectives
C. graying and white bones, shining pebbles, and discarding plastic figurines and bottle caps - discarding distorts meaning
D. gray and white bones, shiny pebbles, and discarding plastic figurines and bottle caps - discarding distorts meaning

Hi @prep,

Your analysis for the second question is absolutely perfect. However, you have not selected the correct answer for the first one.

Choice B is not the correct answer of the first question. The correct answer is A.

A. gray and white bones, shining pebbles, and discarded plastic figurines and bottle caps: Correct. Notice that all the entities are noun phrases. They all start with adjective followed by a noun. Yes, all the adjectives are different in structure – “gray” and “white” are colors, “shining” has “ing” construction, and “discarded” ends with “ed”. But all these three entities are adjectives because all these three expressions modify their following nouns. Hence, despite being different in structure, all these noun entities are parallel to each other because all the starting words act as adjectives, no matter what form they are in.

B. grayed and white bones, shined pebbles, and discarded plastic figurines and bottle caps: Incorrect. “shining” is the correct adjective to precede a noun entity.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

ACETHEGMAT

Re: Markers in Parallelism   [#permalink] 24 Dec 2013, 17:17