Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Re: Marketing [#permalink]
You're very welcome. And just for clarification, I haven't finished b-school, but have just gotten into Darden. If you have any questions or concerns along the way, don't hesitate to ask on this forum, on this very thread, or pm me. I'll be more than happy to help you. =D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
just some advice here to be really-really sure that marketing is the kind of job you really want, because as far as I feel - have the background from engineering myself and jump straight to marketing after graduated - is that the job really contrast with the demand in engineering.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello buddy thanks for posting.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Schools: Ross '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Xng wrote:
Thank you so much for your insightful response. It's so reassuring to know that someone else with a biology degree has obtained a MBA. The majority of people I know who've gotten a MBA come from "business" degrees and rather than giving me helpful advice they just question my reason for wanting to do such a 'drasctic' career change.

I've actually just signed up for a volunteer project so I'm happy to know that I'm heading in the right direction. I want this career change so bad that I actually enjoy studying for the GMAT as I know it'll help me score high.

Once again, I appreciate your response. Have a nice day.

If you look on the class profiles of the top 30 schools, there are a lot of people with hard science backgrounds (not just engineering either). Adcoms want diversity in their classes as well, so coming from a non-traditional undergrad could even help you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
I have heard it a few ways, but I think adcoms don't give preferential treatment to business degree undergrads. Think about it, the MBA would largely be a reeducation for these individuals, so likely to help the student and the institution less. Not saying it's dingable, but it certainly wouldn't elevate one above the rest.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Xng wrote:
...I work for a large chain retail pharmacy and now have decided I want to get into marketing. Working in the retail industry I've come to appreciate the marketing displays and signage that draw customers into a store. I consider myself a creative individual and catch myself day dreaming about designing unique displays to market products and brand.

I have a BFA in Graphic Design. Looking to get an MBA in Marketing. If you want to design store signage, an MBA is far from what you should be going for. You need to go to art school and get a degree in Graphic Design, and work your way up in an Ad Agency. This is very hard to do. It's really easy to get laid off from an Ad Agency because they client list is so easily effected by the economy. Also you have to be REALLY good to get a job with them. Being a Graphic Designer doesn't pay much. You would take a serious pay cut I would imagine. If you can work your way up to Creative Director with a company, then you can make some good money.

I'm getting out of Graphic Design to make more money. I also what to be more on the marketing planning side of things with a company. I can almost guarantee that the large chain retail pharmacy outsources the signage work to an ad agency or a similar company. Or they may have an in house marketing department which will have a marketing director and graphic designers. Most Marketing Directors have no clue how to design or layout anything.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 760 Q44 V51
GPA: 3.6
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Given how hot health care is right now, and how it is an ever-increasing part of the US economy, I think you should be able to tie something together involving Pharma and Marketing. Your background can be a strength rather than a weakness: "Now more than ever the health care industry needs to orient itself towards consumers. With my experience on the front-lines of this marketplace blah blah blah." Have you considered programs with strong ties to Health Care mgmt sector, rather than just Marketing writ large? A place like Duke might do just as much for you as a Kellogg, considering the alumnae network.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92900 posts
GMAT Tutor
1905 posts