Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 22:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Marketing Analyst: Traditionally, introducing a new consumer

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 315 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Marketing Analyst: Traditionally, introducing a new consumer [#permalink] New post 05 May 2012, 21:55
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

72% (02:37) correct 28% (01:25) wrong based on 93 sessions
Marketing Analyst: Traditionally, introducing a new consumer product contributes to the
diversity of a company’s product mix and results in an overall increase in revenues and
profits.
However, our launch of a new brand of soft drinks, Cool Breeze, planned for the end
of this fiscal year, will almost certainly reduce rather than increase the company’s profits.
Since we already offer a line of chilled refreshments that are very similar to Cool Breeze, the
launch of the new drink is likely to cannibalize our current sales rather than attract new
customers. Additionally, since the costs of producing Cool Breeze are higher than those
of the other chilled refreshments, a large part of our current sales will be replaced with
lower-margin revenues.
In the argument above, which of the following statements best
describes the role played by each portion in boldface?
A) The first is a pattern of cause and effect that the marketing analyst predicts will be repeated
in the case at issue; the second acknowledges a circumstance in which that pattern would not
hold.
b) The first is a generalization that the marketing analyst accepts as true; the second is a
consequence that follows from that generalization.
c) The first acknowledges a consideration against the main conclusion of the marketing analyst;
the second is that conclusion.
d) The first is a pattern of cause and effect that the marketing analyst predicts will not hold in
the case at issue; the second offers a consideration in support of that prediction.
e) The first is evidence that the marketing analyst provides in support of a certain prediction;
the second is that prediction.

Main CR Qs link - cr-qs-600-700-level-131508.html
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 123

Kudos [?]: 564 [1] , given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Marketing Analyst: Traditionally, introducing a new consumer [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2012, 03:58
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Archit143 wrote:
The biggest challenge in this question is time. I took 2 min 30 sec what about others. Pls suggest how to lessen the time. Because if we dont read whole argument, its 70% sure that answer will be wrong and than follows big answer choices. Seems like its a short passage.

Hii archit.
How are you?
Regarding bold face questions, even I was in same dilemma few days back. But after getting my hands on several of these questions, I feel pretty confident. The only type which concerns me of time consumption is parallel reasoning.
By the way, honestly speaking I did this question under a minute but this doesn't happens in all the questions. If you notice, the first bold face clearly shows a pattern of cause and effect which doesn't holds in the issue of the stimulus.
Only this option explains this fact, so there is no need to check other options.

If you have any strategy for parallel reasoning, please let me know.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 55

Re: CR - Boldface - #6 [#permalink] New post 09 May 2012, 00:09
For this one I picked D instead.

Explanation anyone?Thank you.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 123

Kudos [?]: 564 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Marketing Analyst: Traditionally, introducing a new consumer [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2012, 22:44
Expert's post
An easy D.
Only this option correctly states that the first bold face is a pattern of cause and effect. On reading the stimulus further more, it is explicitly stated that this pattern will not hold true in the case at issue.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 242 [0], given: 67

Re: Marketing Analyst: Traditionally, introducing a new consumer [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2012, 00:29
The biggest challenge in this question is time. I took 2 min 30 sec what about others. Pls suggest how to lessen the time. Because if we dont read whole argument, its 70% sure that answer will be wrong and than follows big answer choices. Seems like its a short passage.
Re: Marketing Analyst: Traditionally, introducing a new consumer   [#permalink] 10 Nov 2012, 00:29