Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 10:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Marketing Ph.D. Applicant-Feedback greatly appreciated

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Marketing Ph.D. Applicant-Feedback greatly appreciated [#permalink] New post 14 May 2010, 08:19
Hello. Great advice found in this community!

I would like your assessment of my chances of being accepted in a Ph.D. program in Marketing.

My primary area of interest is on the strategic side of marketing. I am also interested in some consumer behavior topics.

Undergraduate GPA:3.95/4.0- Small Liberal Arts and unknown college. I majored in Business.

Grad GPA: 3.67/4.0- Small and relatively unknown school, although larger and better known than that for my undergraduate degree (ranking-mid 60´s).

MBA in Marketing. Due to severe personal circumstances during one particular semester, I got “B+” in four of my marketing courses. I got “A´s” for my last three marketing courses. Unfortunately, I got a “B” on my last semester on a marketing-like course. The course was not marketing per se, but it´s somewhat related.

I am concerned about this combination of marketing grades. Also, my overall grade trend was somewhat erratic due to the aforementioned personal problems. I started with an “A-” GPA went down to “B+” one semester, and ended up slightly below an “A-” on my final semester. I will probably have to address this issue in the SOP.

GMAT: 740 (quant 85%, verbal 94%), AWA: 4.5.

Research experience: None in marketing, 1-year in another area. Over this year, I have become increasingly interested in marketing topics. I am planning to spend the following 6-months getting something written in Marketing.

LORs: Strong letters from professors I have worked for (non-marketing). I think there is a reasonable chance I can get to work with marketing professors in the next 6 months. The professors are unlikely to be known in the U.S.

SOP: I believe I can write an appealing SOP.

Quantitative Background: standard calculus sequence for engineering (up to several variable), business statistics (not mathematical), linear algebra, differential equations. A´s on all.

Do I have a chance at top 30 programs with my profile? Do you think my Grad GPA (absolute and trend) will be a big disadvantage on my application?
My preliminary wish list of schools include: Minnesota, Darden (Virginia), USC. I am a fan of the work of some professors at these schools. Can someone suggest some other schools?

I am an international student. Do you think a high grade on the writing section of the TOEFL could help make up for my low AWA? Is my current AWA grade, too terrible? Do you think I should consider retaking the GMAT?

I am aware that my background is more apt for a program with a strategic marketing orientation, and I know I need to narrow down my research interests. Just in case, do you think that I might face difficulty getting admitted to a program with a behavioral focus with no previous psychology courses whatsoever? If my interests were to tilt towards quant marketing, do you think I could get accepted at descent program without the heavy-duty math background?

Feedback greatly appreciated.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Marketing Ph.D. Applicant-Feedback greatly appreciated   [#permalink] 14 May 2010, 08:19