Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 12:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Marketing question

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

Marketing question [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2010, 05:56
I'm currently doing a marketing internship for the summer. This is the very first marketing job I've ever had, but I'm heading to b-school this fall to transition from engineering to GM/marketing. So right now I'm developing some technical PR material for a new product. I'm a little confused about the writing style that I should take. In the first draft, I tried to stay away from my technical tendencies (as an engineer) and put in quite a few words that imply qualitative judgment. So my project sponsors/mentors reviewed it, and basically I need to take out all those words that suggest a qualitative judgment, like "powerful," "efficient," etc. I thought in marketing, we're supposed to market how good the product is and things like that. Is my understanding incorrect? Or maybe it's just the company culture that leans towards the technical/factual side of things? Thanks in advance.

Respect my Authoritaaah!

VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 17

Re: Marketing question [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2010, 02:42
It depends on the industry and company norms. Certainly the job of creating advertising/PR is to sell products, but you also don't want to create anything that states (or implies) qualities that your product doesn't have, or makes subjective claims that different people may interpret differently. Certain words - even words that seem to be common usage - carry implications and restrictions. Eg. for how long can you claim a new product is "new", what do you have to do to say it's "improved", what is "low fat" vs. "non fat" vs "light"...

I'm not familiar enough with tech marketing or your product to say why specifically you can't say the words you mention, but I suspect this is the reason why. So - how powerful is powerful? As powerful as a AAA battery? It's efficient? Based on what scale? How do you know it's efficient? Etc.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Schools: HEC Paris
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Re: Marketing question [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2010, 04:40
the key is think of who your audience is. your PRs are probably going into trade magazines to be read by engineers and technical buyers, who would want more specs and less flowery language.

A few more weeks ...

Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

Re: Marketing question [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2010, 04:44
Thank you for the replies. I did have one other question. After one month doing marketing, I've discovered that nobody likes us marketers for some reason. Development doesn't like us, because they don't like to be told what to develop; sales doesn't like us, because they don't like to be told how to sell the products. Does anyone like us poor marketing folks?

Respect my Authoritaaah!

Intern
Intern
Schools: HEC Paris
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Re: Marketing question [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2010, 05:44
we like each other, haha.

as a marketer, you should try to market yourself. make it seem like all you're doing is trying to help them help themselves. when i do ads, i sometimes try to talk to sales and get their input on what the customers are looking for and what specifications to emphasize.

i admit i do bribe a little. when vendors come in with cupcakes and candy, i share with the other departments. :P

A few more weeks ...

Re: Marketing question   [#permalink] 06 Jul 2010, 05:44