Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 10:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V44
GPA: 3.38
WE: Analyst (Health Care)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2014, 21:40
Quote:
Quote:
Congrats though! That's awesome. I see we're in a similar boat in terms of admits. Which school are you learning towards now?

Haha, thanks! :)

I'm leaning towards Anderson. I got a significant fellowship offer from them as well, and my interactions/experience with Marshall and their application process have been disappointing. What about you?

I just got my binder today :) I'm in Seattle.

USC was the only one that offered me a fellowship, which is going to make this a difficult choice since I like both schools. I'll probably be at A-Days at UCLA before I make my final decision. Maybe I'll see you there!

Good luck to everyone!

Last edited by joelfromschool on 25 Mar 2014, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3
WE: Business Development (Other)

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 5

Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2014, 08:05
This post received
KUDOS
50% schol..in Mum
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Operations
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0
GPA: 3.45

Kudos [?]: 41 [2] , given: 46

Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2014, 06:53
This post received
KUDOS
joelfromschool wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Congrats though! That's awesome. I see we're in a similar boat in terms of admits. Which school are you learning towards now?

Haha, thanks! :)

I'm leaning towards Anderson. I got a significant fellowship offer from them as well, and my interactions/experience with Marshall and their application process have been disappointing. What about you?

I just got my binder today :) I'm in Seattle.

USC was the only one that offered me a fellowship, which is going to make this a difficult choice since I like both schools. I'll probably be at A-Days at UCLA before I make my final decision. Maybe I'll see you there!

Good luck to everyone!

Was very torn between Anderson and Marshall going in to application season but found Marshall to be a much better fit for me. I'd love to see the school return to being ranked where it belongs (seriously feel like this year was a fluke) and I think it's certainly possible. Fit is now the defining principle by which I'm making my decision and considering that, USC all the way.

People had asked about my Anderson experience (and why it was so awful) and I was sure to spell it out fairly on that thread.

Marshall on the other has been incredibly welcoming. I knew immediately during my class visit that the element of being collaborative and supportive of one another (something you'll always hear about EVERYWHERE) was a true reality here. The Trojan network is indeed real and I was happy to see it in action when applying.

And to be totally honest - in terms of a long term investment, USC makes a lot of sense. It is far from complacent with it's rise over the past 2 decades and has its best years ahead of itself. This is a school that transformed itself with the leverage of dedicated alumni, huge donations, and a city that respects it. In regards to university wide progress - SC by far is one of the biggest success stories in recent time. I think its positioned itself well to continue climbing the ranks in every sense.

This was also the ONLY program I found to actually care about being an integrated part of their community. There's no sense of ivory tower syndrome here and embracing actual community diversity was refreshing. Try and find a community that is happy to have a school located in it. Not too easy.

My metrics for choosing a program have changed and I'll 99.9999% be matriculating at SC over a pair of top 10 school's and Anderson. This is based off of (in order for me) finding the best fit, good West Coast placement, a strong network, and finally rankings.

For those making the LA decision, I hope you discover what matters most now that you have a great pair of options. It's tough being real with yourself and eliminating the elitism that is ingrained with the MBA process. When I was finally real with myself I found my answer.
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.92

Kudos [?]: 25 [3] , given: 2

Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2014, 09:19
This post received
KUDOS
Received my fellowship packet. Full tuition remission.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 46

Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2014, 09:45
gambelda wrote:

Congratulations. That's HUGE!

Consortium or through the school ?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.92

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 2

Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2014, 09:48
This post received
KUDOS
christinemmx86 wrote:
gambelda wrote:

Through the school. I think they looked at my numbers and said he's probably going to a top 7 but maybe we can steal him with a full ride. Little did they realize how much of a ding being a white, male is to other top schools :lol: :lol:

I'll hear from UCLA on the 2nd and then it will probably be USC all the way.
Current Student

Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2014, 10:40
gambelda wrote:
christinemmx86 wrote:
gambelda wrote:

Through the school. I think they looked at my numbers and said he's probably going to a top 7 but maybe we can steal him with a full ride. Little did they realize how much of a ding being a white, male is to other top schools :lol: :lol:

I'll hear from UCLA on the 2nd and then it will probably be USC all the way.

Well I really think my gender helped me in at Haas but my heart (and hate of debt) is pulling me towards Marshall.

Looks like we'll be classmates in sunny LA.

Fight on!

and congrats on a debt free MBA and finding a school that clearly loves you!
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 37

Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2014, 10:48
gambelda wrote:

Hearty congrats mate!! Great going!!
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q38 V41
WE: Project Management (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2014, 11:07
Got my binder today. A half tuition remission included. Makes me wonder of half and full tuition scholarships are the only options yet.

Also, Marshall's IBEAR (1 year MBA) offered me a 65% tuition remission to join their program.
Current Student

Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2014, 11:51
hellzangl wrote:
Got my binder today. A half tuition remission included. Makes me wonder of half and full tuition scholarships are the only options yet.

Also, Marshall's IBEAR (1 year MBA) offered me a 65% tuition remission to join their program.

Congrats!
Current Student

Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2014, 12:12
Anyone still waiting on Binders? Curious what's inside them as I'm still waiting ;)
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40

Kudos [?]: 13 [3] , given: 14

Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2014, 14:00
This post received
KUDOS
Round 1 applicant here. Just got a call from Elaine with the admissions office. I've been admitted off the waitlist!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 46 [1] , given: 37

Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2014, 14:09
This post received
KUDOS
hk0620 wrote:
Round 1 applicant here. Just got a call from Elaine with the admissions office. I've been admitted off the waitlist!

Congrats!
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Marshall '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.35
WE: General Management (Retail)

Kudos [?]: 5 [3] , given: 2

Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2014, 14:30
This post received
KUDOS
Accepted from the wait list!!!
Current Student

Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2014, 23:07
RogerHumboldt wrote:
Accepted from the wait list!!!

Congrats!!
Current Student
GMAT Date: 08-12-2013
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2014, 07:08
figured I'd post here as well since I'm so excited! accepted from the waitlist as well yesterday!!
Current Student

Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2014, 08:05
Jting wrote:
figured I'd post here as well since I'm so excited! accepted from the waitlist as well yesterday!!

Congrats!!
Current Student
GMAT Date: 08-12-2013
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2014, 08:09
AdiRedDevil wrote:
Jting wrote:

Congrats!!

thanks!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2014, 16:48
Congrats to all the wait listed admits! Fight on!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2014, 02:42
Hi.. I got an admit as well... with 50% scholarship.. from India..

740 Gmat/ 6.5 years of IT consulting exp/ interested in Tech strategy consulting post MBA. Marshall and Foster are the only two schools I applied to.. Got admits from both, but so far only Marshall has rolled out its scholarship offer to me.

I did not aplpy to other schools because I decided to give it a shot this year only during round 2 was not confident of getting an admit from top 15-20 schools having missed thier round 1 already.

I need help.. I think I am capable of making it to better schools in the top 15 list ex: Ross, UCLA, Darden,etc.

This is not the first time I applied to MBA . This is my third attempt. Everytime I missed the Round 1 deadline for B-schools because of improper planning and nick of time preparations.
I think that is the reason that I only managed to get waitlisted at McCombs in my past attempts.
Another factor that I see affecting my candidacy is lack of significant international work experience (only half a year) and that I dont have a masters degree already. Darden told me these points in their feedback couple of years back and I guess the same could apply to other schools as well.

I am wondering if I should simply join Marshall this year or whether I could probably give better ranked univs a shot this year with good preparation. There is no doubt that Marshall with its Trojan Ntwork is a great place to study - ofcourse leaving out its recent slippage in rankings which is a temporary thing.

But like I said, I am more keen to have a better brand on my resume. Do you think it would make sense to wait and apply to UCLA etc next year? Do you think given my profile and my post MBA plans, having an MBA from a better brand univ would help me?

Would appreciate feedback and suggestions from you all in this regard.
Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!   [#permalink] 03 Apr 2014, 02:42