Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 16:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Other
GPA: 3.4
WE: Programming (Health Care)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2014, 21:36
sv2016 wrote:
anyone else receive a generic email this evening with the subject line 'USC Decision Letters Will Be Online Soon' ? - how long after that email does it take for the decision to actually be online?

Without an interview or a phone call the chances of admission are very slim, so I can guess what the decision is, but I still feel very anxious to get it after that email.

I did and am on the wait list. The timing seems strange, but when I checked my application status and letter, there was no update. So.... waiting again.
Current Student
Concentration: Operations
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0
GPA: 3.45

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 46

Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2014, 04:26
If it's worth anything, the email was sent to everyone and I believe just an update from the university's central office. While Marshall's admissions isn't centralized with the university, your name in their application system is.

Hoping for the best for each of you!
Expert Post
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 153

Kudos [?]: 1006 [0], given: 931

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 May 2014, 08:48
Expert's post
Thank you everybody who attended the latest webinar jointly organized by GMATClub and Admissionado Consulting for the applicants got dinged this year.

For the members who could not attend this event, we have posted the webinar recording in the main post of this thread.

Check out this link for free ding analysis offer by Admissionado.

Be the coolest guy in the MBA Forum - Be a threadmaster!

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

All MBA Resources All 'Sticky' Topics at one place

Please share your profiles for this application season: 2015 Profiles w/ Admit/Dings Results!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Next Generation GMATClub CATS with Brilliant Analytics.

Current Student

Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 May 2014, 09:36
Any Round 3'ers seeing any action? 2 coworkers are waiting on word and have yet to make any traction.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Marshall '17 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V44
GPA: 3.28

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 May 2014, 17:40
christinemmx86 wrote:
Any Round 3'ers seeing any action? 2 coworkers are waiting on word and have yet to make any traction.

Nope, no movement. I guess they really are holding off until that June 1 date for the start of notifications. I applied for the JD/MBA program as a 1L already at USC, so I'm guessing I might hear back sooner than other round 3'ers. Ill keep you posted if I do.
Current Student

Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 May 2014, 19:00
DisillusionedLawyer wrote:
christinemmx86 wrote:

Nope, no movement. I guess they really are holding off until that June 1 date for the start of notifications. I applied for the JD/MBA program as a 1L already at USC, so I'm guessing I might hear back sooner than other round 3'ers. Ill keep you posted if I do.

Appreciate that. How is life at Gould treating you?
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 0

Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 May 2014, 10:19
This post received
KUDOS
Round 3'er here, just got interview invite today at 1pm EST. Whoooo
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.1

Kudos [?]: 8 [2] , given: 1

Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 May 2014, 00:19
This post received
KUDOS
Hello,
I had my interview on May 2nd via skype. They told me that the decisions will be released no earlier than on June 1st. So still a long waiting time...
Intern
Intern
Schools: Marshall '17 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V44
GPA: 3.28

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 May 2014, 14:20
Schingi wrote:
Hello,
I had my interview on May 2nd via skype. They told me that the decisions will be released no earlier than on June 1st. So still a long waiting time...

Ugh. I need to pick my classes right around then too for Gould. Sorry for the late update by the way, Gould is good. Law school in general is just a social life killer. The grading curve is zero-sum, so everyone competes at a cut-throat level.

Anyone know if not getting an interview is a bad sign? Or are people admitted without being interviewed sometimes?
Current Student

Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 May 2014, 15:06
DisillusionedLawyer wrote:
Schingi wrote:
Hello,

Ugh. I need to pick my classes right around then too for Gould. Sorry for the late update by the way, Gould is good. Law school in general is just a social life killer. The grading curve is zero-sum, so everyone competes at a cut-throat level.

Anyone know if not getting an interview is a bad sign? Or are people admitted without being interviewed sometimes?

I think an interview is pretty compulsory but that they seemed to have some strategy in how they doled them out before. I'd say as someone with the qualifications to be a Gould student you'll definitely nab an interview - but it may still take a while. Once I received my interview invite - the process moved very fast and I had my decision about 3 weeks later.

Good luck and fight on!
Current Student

Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 May 2014, 04:53
Any updates - DisillusionedLawyer?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 May 2014, 13:48
This post received
KUDOS
Just got the call - I'm in! R3 applicant.
Current Student

Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 May 2014, 14:03
dbailey1 wrote:

Congrats dBailey! Leaning one way or the other?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 May 2014, 14:15
dbailey1 wrote:

Congrats! Did you receive an invitation to interview?

Round 3 applicant. I haven't heard back.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 May 2014, 14:43
priluic wrote:
dbailey1 wrote:

Congrats! Did you receive an invitation to interview?

Round 3 applicant. I haven't heard back.

Thanks! Yeah, I received my interview invite shortly after the R3 deadline. Interview date was on 4/28. I think they are still doing interviews. The official notification date isn't until 6/1. Good luck!!
Current Student

Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 May 2014, 14:49
christinemmx86 wrote:
dbailey1 wrote:

Thanks, christinemmx86! I had really great experiences with both schools during the application process, but I am leaning toward Anderson. I have yet to receive info on financial aid from either school, and unfortunately, that will play a major factor in my final decision.

What made you decide on Marshall over Anderson?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 41 [1] , given: 46

Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 May 2014, 05:04
This post received
KUDOS
dbailey1 wrote:
christinemmx86 wrote:
dbailey1 wrote:

Thanks, christinemmx86! I had really great experiences with both schools during the application process, but I am leaning toward Anderson. I have yet to receive info on financial aid from either school, and unfortunately, that will play a major factor in my final decision.

What made you decide on Marshall over Anderson?

You're in a great position and I can attest to the importance of financial aid as tuition has no doubt risen to alarming numbers.

I actually had a very poor experience at Anderson and had originally considered it my top choice. I think much of it had to do with the size of program as I was connected with staff members, alums, and a few students who never got back to me (or took extremely lengthy amounts of time) when I had important and tricky questions. The application itself I think also has to do with a bit of a flat incoming class I took notice of at the admit event. When your only essay is about professional aspirations, you're removing personality and life experiences as factors used to differentiate your applicant pool. UCLA is playing a numbers game and while probably successful from a rankings perspective, will be a detriment to what would have been the personality of my cohort.

I attended several admit events that included Marshall and Anderson and while USC was definitely atop my list of experiences, Anderson was near the bottom. I went to UCLA as an undergrad and was disappointed with the attitude and pompous nature current students exhibited when they would dig through my choices of schools when I would share them. This was also the only school to push rankings and momentum as reason to matriculate rather than hoping I find what makes sense. Don't get me wrong, I loved my experience as an undergrad but some of the things I would hear back then proved true. The program's student population is bigger than it should be, more internally competitive because of this, has a strong commuter vibe, less than enthusiastic alums out here on the east coast and as a whole the school suffers an inferiority complex to programs like Haas (it was amazing how students would respond when I shared I had been admitted there). I've posted in a few spots my issues with UCLA at length but that's sort of it in a nutshell.

I was overwhelmed by my options in schools and found soft factors like fit, social experience and alumni network to play a larger role in my decision process than I had originally imagined. I was blown away by how personable Marshall felt and by the way classmates interacted with each other. I visited classes at each school I was admitted to and it was clear Marshall's cohort really supported and enjoyed on another. The difference in professors and the academic experience between UCLA and USC was also clear. I did not have the best experience with professors in undergrad at UCLA and found the 2 class visits I had there with less than stellar profs and very little interaction with students. USC was highly interactive and quite enjoyable. UCLA's alumni network is nothing to write home about and I was disappointed with my experiences reaching out to Anderson alums. USC and the Trojan Network (something I was raised to hate on as an undergrad ;) ) proved to be as real as everyone claims it is. Such friendly, helpful, and genuine people who are fervent supporters of everything and everyone connected to USC.

This is a humble group of very talented students. The school's rank is down largely because of placements statistics pulled down by a shift in the career office and students adamantly turning down offers until they find what they want in California. I'm much the same and value the quality and location of my work over the salary or "prestige" so found this approach by many Marshall students refreshing. I'd heard of requirements elsewhere to take up offers to maintain a school's relationship/image rather than wait to find what's right for you and I'm not down for that. Maybe I'm not your typical business school applicant but I felt like Marshall had a soul. Once I had options this was such a differentiating element - I couldn't help but wholeheartedly follow through with it.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 15

Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 May 2014, 13:34
Christine you touched on a very interesting point that I have noticed... Anderson is very GMAT/GPA oriented (rather than caring about the overall profile) and has a large # of Haas rejects...It's so weird to see that...Every other day I receive an email stating that Haas is still accepting apps, even though there last EWMBA round was months ago. So, I don't get the big deal!

And yes once a Trojan always a Trojan. It's very weird! During my time at undergrad I was like whatever. But, I am even getting nostalgic...hahaha....I guess that is why they are almost about to reach $5B in endowments. Just today at work I met 2 more business undergrad Trojans. I am not sure where USC's reputation as being a snooty private school came from....
Current Student

Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 May 2014, 19:06
choni wrote:
Christine you touched on a very interesting point that I have noticed... Anderson is very GMAT/GPA oriented (rather than caring about the overall profile) and has a large # of Haas rejects...It's so weird to see that...Every other day I receive an email stating that Haas is still accepting apps, even though there last EWMBA round was months ago. So, I don't get the big deal!

And yes once a Trojan always a Trojan. It's very weird! During my time at undergrad I was like whatever. But, I am even getting nostalgic...hahaha....I guess that is why they are almost about to reach $5B in endowments. Just today at work I met 2 more business undergrad Trojans. I am not sure where USC's reputation as being a snooty private school came from....

Yea the inferiority complex is definitely a central part of the UCLA experience in many ways. I went there for undergrad so remember it well. It is an amazing school but we always liked to compare ourselves to schools that are (and always will be) considered superior. If you look back in time, UCLA once reigned supreme in California and was a top 10 program ahead of Haas. I think where it is now is likely where it will stay. A well regarded large public institution. Reputations are hard to change and on the east coast it has been forever frustrating trying to assert the rigor beyond the assumptions people make when they hear UCLA. Numerically we outdid plenty of incoming classes at east coast schools that always seem to maintain a stronger image out here.

That said, why a Bruin like me is excited by USC has so much to do with its trajectory. It has made amazing strides in the past 20 years and has asserted itself as a dominant west coast institution. It has managed to break through its "sports only" image and climb the ranks in a miraculous fashion. You just don't see changes as substantial as what USC has accomplished. I remember being pissed seeing SC pass my alma matter a few years back on the US News list for the first time in history. While there still are parts of the school that could perhaps still use work, let me assure you I felt like a number at UCLA at all times. When I got the sense that could happen again at Anderson, Marshall suddenly attracted me in ways I never had considered.

USC has earned its place through strategic thinking, hard work, and investment. It's endowment has grown ridiculously fast showing how connected its alums remain. And let's not forget that these are alums who graduated from the school when it wasn't considered a peer to UCLA but rather at a lower level. I've never benefited from my school's alumni base and I know while we love calling ourselves Bruins we did not come up in the same tradition and obligation to our school that I feel every time I go to USC.

The numbers game UCLA is playing scares me. I'm not a traditional b school applicant. While I did fine on the GMAT I'm still not clear how my score speaks to my abilities to work well in teams and be an integral part to any professional or scholastic community. I will give Haas plenty of points in this regard as they would be a program that also put a lot of thought into their application and methodology for crafting an incoming class. Anderson really screwed up in this regard. Of course if you're about gaming the system - they did great. More applicants as the application became ridiculously easier will boos stats. There's no way I shared my story even through my lack luster interview there. I don't enjoy hating on UCLA but I really was so disappointed after I'd built up returning as a grad student.

My final point is an ironic one as I was once an undergrad who always referred to UCLA beating out USC hands down for location. As someone starting to work in social impact, it sickens me the elitist attitude we took on in this regard. USC was named College of the Year in 2000 by Time Magazine because of its relationship with its surrounding communities. The neighborhoods around USC benefit form the university in so many ways and it truly is trying to change the lives of Angelinos for the better. There was a huge push for volunteering at UCLA but it never felt genuine or impactful. And let me assure you anyone north of Sunset hated having us packing their streets.

Marshall has beaten out every top West Coast MBA program in C4C : Challenge 4 Charity for the past 5 years. It's an amazing testament to how central community is to the USC experience and how balanced the Trojan MBA experience is.

Lastly - I'm ready to FINALLY tailgate ON CAMPUS and go to games I can walk to. Is that a crime?

(The Rose Bowl is such an obnoxious bus ride)

Last edited by christinemmx86 on 22 May 2014, 22:39, edited 2 times in total.
Current Student

Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 May 2014, 21:19

What made you decide on Marshall over Anderson?[/quote]

You're in a great position and I can attest to the importance of financial aid as tuition has no doubt risen to alarming numbers.

I actually had a very poor experience at Anderson and had originally considered it my top choice. I think much of it had to do with the size of program as I was connected with staff members, alums, and a few students who never got back to me (or took extremely lengthy amounts of time) when I had important and tricky questions. The application itself I think also has to do with a bit of a flat incoming class I took notice of at the admit event. When your only essay is about professional aspirations, you're removing personality and life experiences as factors used to differentiate your applicant pool. UCLA is playing a numbers game and while probably successful from a rankings perspective, will be a detriment to what would have been the personality of my cohort.

I attended several admit events that included Marshall and Anderson and while USC was definitely atop my list of experiences, Anderson was near the bottom. I went to UCLA as an undergrad and was disappointed with the attitude and pompous nature current students exhibited when they would dig through my choices of schools when I would share them. This was also the only school to push rankings and momentum as reason to matriculate rather than hoping I find what makes sense. Don't get me wrong, I loved my experience as an undergrad but some of the things I would hear back then proved true. The program's student population is bigger than it should be, more internally competitive because of this, has a strong commuter vibe, less than enthusiastic alums out here on the east coast and as a whole the school suffers an inferiority complex to programs like Haas (it was amazing how students would respond when I shared I had been admitted there). I've posted in a few spots my issues with UCLA at length but that's sort of it in a nutshell.

I was overwhelmed by my options in schools and found soft factors like fit, social experience and alumni network to play a larger role in my decision process than I had originally imagined. I was blown away by how personable Marshall felt and by the way classmates interacted with each other. I visited classes at each school I was admitted to and it was clear Marshall's cohort really supported and enjoyed on another. The difference in professors and the academic experience between UCLA and USC was also clear. I did not have the best experience with professors in undergrad at UCLA and found the 2 class visits I had there with less than stellar profs and very little interaction with students. USC was highly interactive and quite enjoyable. UCLA's alumni network is nothing to write home about and I was disappointed with my experiences reaching out to Anderson alums. USC and the Trojan Network (something I was raised to hate on as an undergrad ;) ) proved to be as real as everyone claims it is. Such friendly, helpful, and genuine people who are fervent supporters of everything and everyone connected to USC.

This is a humble group of very talented students. The school's rank is down largely because of placements statistics pulled down by a shift in the career office and students adamantly turning down offers until they find what they want in California. I'm much the same and value the quality and location of my work over the salary or "prestige" so found this approach by many Marshall students refreshing. I'd heard of requirements elsewhere to take up offers to maintain a school's relationship/image rather than wait to find what's right for you and I'm not down for that. Maybe I'm not your typical business school applicant but I felt like Marshall had a soul. Once I had options this was such a differentiating element - I couldn't help but wholeheartedly follow through with it.[/quote]

Hey christinemmx86, thanks for your input. I got a call from Anderson this afternoon and they offered me a pretty substantial fellowship. Looks like I'm heading to UCLA! Still no word on financial aid from USC, but I'm really excited about the next two years. Good luck at Marshall!
Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!   [#permalink] 22 May 2014, 21:19