Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 22:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Marvin s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 19

Marvin s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 19:41
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (02:25) correct 50% (01:42) wrong based on 161 sessions
Marvin’s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in that there is no evidence that he drank the entire container of punch despite the fact that he was the only person known to have been by the punchbowl between the time it was filled and the time it was observed to be empty. If Marvin had drunk the entire bowl, then some of the punch would inevitably have spilled on the tile, but I examined the tile carefully and found no evidence of spilled punch. Thus Marvin must not have drunk the entire punchbowl.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?

A. Most large drinks that have been imbibed at parties result in significant spillage.
B. The person examining the tile for evidence of spilled punch has been able to detect such evidence in considerably more obscure, hidden places.
C. Marvin’s behavior at the party was observed for the first time by the examiner.
D. Many of the other telltale signs of a punchbowl’s being consumed were found.
E. At certain raucous parties like the party in question, some punchbowls are merely thrown out the window as part of a prank.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Please help me understand why B is the correct answer?
Why can't E be the correct answer. Doesn't E give us an alternate reason that Strengthens the conclusion that Marvin must not have drunk the entire punch bowl.

In B, the answer seems exaggerated by stating that the person examining the title for evidence has been able to detect such evidence in considerably MORE obscure, HIDDEN places. I would have gone with this answer if it didn't include words like more obscure and hidden places.

Thanks for the help.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [2] , given: 22

Re: Marvin s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in [#permalink] New post 19 May 2013, 12:25
This post received
KUDOS
gmatprep1982 wrote:
Marvin’s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in that there is no evidence that he drank the entire container of punch despite the fact that he was the only person known to have been by the punchbowl between the time it was filled and the time it was observed to be empty. If Marvin had drunk the entire bowl, then some of the punch would inevitably have spilled on the tile, but I examined the tile carefully and found no evidence of spilled punch. Thus Marvin must not have drunk the entire punchbowl.

A. Most large drinks that have been imbibed at parties result in significant spillage.
B. The person examining the tile for evidence of spilled punch has been able to detect such evidence in considerably more obscure, hidden places.
C. Marvin’s behavior at the party was observed for the first time by the examiner.
E. At certain raucous parties like the party in question, some punchbowls are merely thrown out the window as part of a prank.

Why can't E be the correct answer. Doesn't E give us an alternate reason that Strengthens the conclusion that Marvin must not have drunk the entire punch bowl.

In B, the answer seems exaggerated by stating that the person examining the title for evidence has been able to detect such evidence in considerably MORE obscure, HIDDEN places. I would have gone with this answer if it didn't include words like more obscure and hidden places.

Thanks for the help.

The answer is (B) and not (E) as on carefully reading the option (E) it suggests that in parties similar to this the punchbowl itself was thrown out of the window but in this case the punchbowl was left lying on table with all the punch being drank ....so this criteria of throwing away the punchBOWL contradicts with the case given which says only punch disappeared.
Hence (B) is the answer !
Moreover B is more accurate as it satisfies the premise that there was some spillage (If Marvin had drunk the entire bowl, then some of the punch would inevitably have spilled ) but it was not necessarily on table but in hidden corners !
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 290

Kudos [?]: 2440 [1] , given: 693

Re: Marvin’s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 02:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gmatprep1982 wrote:

A. Most large drinks that have been imbibed at parties result in significant spillage. this doesn't explain Marvin situation
C. Marvin’s behavior at the party was observed for the first time by the examiner. This is tricky but doesn't explain IF marvin drunk entirely punch or not
D. Many of the other telltale signs of a punchbowl’s being consumed were found. Idem
E. At certain raucous parties like the party in question, some punchbowls are merely thrown out the window as part of a prank. Idem

Thanks for the help.

E doesn't weal the argument simply because is not related to it. E doesn't explain at all marvin's situation

Hope it is clear

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Marvin’s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 01:24
carcass wrote:
gmatprep1982 wrote:

A. Most large drinks that have been imbibed at parties result in significant spillage. this doesn't explain Marvin situation
C. Marvin’s behavior at the party was observed for the first time by the examiner. This is tricky but doesn't explain IF marvin drunk entirely punch or not
D. Many of the other telltale signs of a punchbowl’s being consumed were found. Idem
E. At certain raucous parties like the party in question, some punchbowls are merely thrown out the window as part of a prank. Idem

Thanks for the help.

E doesn't weal the argument simply because is not related to it. E doesn't explain at all marvin's situation

Hope it is clear

Premise: There was no spillage.

A says that some is usually spilled. Hence we can conclude that Marvin didn't drink any?

Okay I think I got it while posting this. It says it's spilled when imbibed not drunk.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 22

Re: Marvin s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in [#permalink] New post 19 May 2013, 12:11
gmatprep1982 wrote:

Thanks for the help.

can we not quote the answer with question so that people give a fair try to questions ! It defeats the purpose of the forum .You can post your answers or doubt as a separate thread !
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 110

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Marvin s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2013, 18:38
Shilpi85 wrote:

The answer is (B) and not (E) as on carefully reading the option (E) it suggests that in parties similar to this the punchbowl itself was thrown out of the window but in this case the punchbowl was left lying on table with all the punch being drank ....so this criteria of throwing away the punchBOWL contradicts with the case given which says only punch disappeared.
Hence (B) is the answer !
Moreover B is more accurate as it satisfies the premise that there was some spillage (If Marvin had drunk the entire bowl, then some of the punch would inevitably have spilled ) but it was not necessarily on table but in hidden corners !

But doesnt the argument say that the person had examined the TILE carefully and found no evidence of spill. Then choice B is just injecting some new info which we are unsure of.

“Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be wrong.”

Re: Marvin s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in   [#permalink] 19 Oct 2013, 18:38