Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 01:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Marvin’s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 11

Marvin’s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2014, 15:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

77% (02:29) correct 23% (02:13) wrong based on 0 sessions
Marvin’s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in that there is no evidence that he drank the entire container of punch despite the fact that he was the only person known to have been by the punchbowl between the time it was filled and the time it was observed to be empty. If Marvin had drunk the entire bowl, then some of the punch would inevitably have spilled on the tile, but I examined the tile carefully and found no evidence of spilled punch. Thus Marvin must not have drunk the entire punchbowl.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?

A. Most large drinks that have been imbibed at parties result in significant spillage.

B. The person examining the tile for evidence of spilled punch has been able to detect such evidence in considerably more obscure, hidden places.

C. Marvin’s behavior at the party was observed for the first time by the examiner.

D. Many of the other telltale signs of a punchbowl’s being consumed were found.

E. At certain raucous parties like the party in question, some punchbowls are merely thrown out the window as part of a prank.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.46
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 160

Premium Member
Re: Marvin’s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2014, 20:03
IMO B

Conclusion: Marvin must not have drunk the entire punchbowl
Evidence: If Marvin had drunk the entire bowl, then some of the punch would inevitably have spilled on the tile, but I examined the tile carefully and found no evidence of spilled punch. Thus Marvin must not have drunk the entire punchbowl.

Hence, to strengthen the argument, we need to substantiate and strengthen force of this evidence to help strengthen the conclusion.

A. Most large drinks that have been imbibed at parties result in significant spillage. Incorrect- Irrelevant. How does this strengthen?

B. The person examining the tile for evidence of spilled punch has been able to detect such evidence in considerably more obscure, hidden places. Hold on as this option does strengthen our argument.

C. Marvin’s behavior at the party was observed for the first time by the examiner. Incorrect- Martin's behavior is irrelevant to our conclusion

D. Many of the other telltale signs of a punchbowl’s being consumed were found. Incorrect- This too is irrelevant to confirm our evidence. Even if we have other telltale signs of a punchbowl’s being consumed, it doesn't conclusively say anything to strengthen our argument.

E. At certain raucous parties like the party in question, some punchbowls are merely thrown out the window as part of a prank. Incorrect- Irrelevant and out of scope too.

Thus, IMO B.
Manager
Manager

Re: Marvin’s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2014, 01:07
Hi mba1382,
Thanks for your reply.
I was confused between option (b) and (e) but I choose (e).
How is option (e) irrelevant. If we consider this statement to be true then chances are rife that this punchbowl might have been thrown out of the window, thereby strengthening the argument that Marvin didn't drink the punch.
Manager
Manager

Premium Member
Re: Marvin’s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2014, 01:52
To answer your question, we must also look at the conclusion i.e. Marvin must not have drunk the entire punchbowl.. Looking at option E which merely says that in parties like the one mentioned, some punchbowls are merely thrown out the window as part of a prank. This is a possiblity and moreover, the stem says that
Marvin’s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in that there is no evidence that he drank the entire container of punch despite the fact that he was the only person known to have been by the punchbowl between the time it was filled and the time it was observed to be empty. If Marvin had drunk the entire bowl, then some of the punch would inevitably have spilled on the tile.

Now can we say that option E provides an evidence to strengthen our conclusion? Surely this would not seem a strong evidence to arrive at our conclusion.

But when we look at option B, it conclusively allows us as an evidence to strengthen our conclusion. As in, we have an expert examining the relevant matter i.e. The person examining the tile for evidence of spilled punch has been able to detect such evidence in considerably more obscure, hidden places
This option indeed strengthens our evidence and conclusion.

Again I am no expert but the above was my understanding. Hope this helps. :-)

Sukant2010 wrote:
Hi mba1382,
Thanks for your reply.
How is option (e) irrelevant. If we consider this statement to be true then chances are rife that this punchbowl might have been thrown out of the window, thereby strengthening the argument that Marvin didn't drink the punch.
Manager
Manager

Re: Marvin’s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2014, 02:06
mba1382 wrote:
To answer your question, we must also look at the conclusion i.e. Marvin must not have drunk the entire punchbowl.. Looking at option E which merely says that in parties like the one mentioned, some punchbowls are merely thrown out the window as part of a prank. This is a possiblity and moreover, the stem says that
Marvin’s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in that there is no evidence that he drank the entire container of punch despite the fact that he was the only person known to have been by the punchbowl between the time it was filled and the time it was observed to be empty. If Marvin had drunk the entire bowl, then some of the punch would inevitably have spilled on the tile.

Now can we say that option E provides an evidence to strengthen our conclusion? Surely this would not seem a strong evidence to arrive at our conclusion.

But when we look at option B, it conclusively allows us as an evidence to strengthen our conclusion. As in, we have an expert examining the relevant matter i.e. The person examining the tile for evidence of spilled punch has been able to detect such evidence in considerably more obscure, hidden places
This option indeed strengthens our evidence and conclusion.

Again I am no expert but the above was my understanding. Hope this helps. :-)

Sukant2010 wrote:
Hi mba1382,
Thanks for your reply.

Hi,
I completely agree with what you're trying to convey for option (b), but I am still not able to discern exactly how option (e) is not relevant to the statement and cannot be the answer.
I mean, even if he (or anyone else perhaps) has spilled the entire container out, then also the option explicitly states that the he has not drank it.
Manager
Manager
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 263

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Marvin’s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2014, 04:56
Sukant2010 wrote:
Marvin’s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in that there is no evidence that he drank the entire container of punch despite the fact that he was the only person known to have been by the punchbowl between the time it was filled and the time it was observed to be empty. If Marvin had drunk the entire bowl, then some of the punch would inevitably have spilled on the tile, but I examined the tile carefully and found no evidence of spilled punch. Thus Marvin must not have drunk the entire punchbowl.

A. Most large drinks that have been imbibed at parties result in significant spillage.

B. The person examining the tile for evidence of spilled punch has been able to detect such evidence in considerably more obscure, hidden places.

C. Marvin’s behavior at the party was observed for the first time by the examiner.

E. At certain raucous parties like the party in question, some punchbowls are merely thrown out the window as part of a prank.

IMO B
A. Most large drinks that have been imbibed at parties result in significant spillage.-Incorrect -Most drinks result in spillage doesnt mean that this time also it did hold true

B. The person examining the tile for evidence of spilled punch has been able to detect such evidence in considerably more obscure, hidden places.-Correct

C. Marvin’s behavior at the party was observed for the first time by the examiner.-Incorrect-Out of scope

D. Many of the other telltale signs of a punchbowl’s being consumed were found.-Incorrect It says the Punchbowl was consumed but doesnt say anything rergarding if it was consumed bu Marvin or not

E. At certain raucous parties like the party in question, some punchbowls are merely thrown out the window as part of a prank.-Incorrect.Doesnt explain Marvins situation

What is the OA? Can someone post it please..

Last edited by aks456 on 28 Jan 2014, 07:58, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Re: Marvin’s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2014, 06:22
akankshasoneja wrote:
Sukant2010 wrote:

IMO B
A. Most large drinks that have been imbibed at parties result in significant spillage.-Incorrect -Most drinks result in spillage doesnt mean that this time also it did hold true

B. The person examining the tile for evidence of spilled punch has been able to detect such evidence in considerably more obscure, hidden places.-Correct

C. Marvin’s behavior at the party was observed for the first time by the examiner.-Incorrect-Out of scope

D. Many of the other telltale signs of a punchbowl’s being consumed were found.-Incorrect It says the Punchbowl was consumed but doesnt say anything rergarding if it was consumed bu Marvin or not

E. At certain raucous parties like the party in question, some punchbowls are merely thrown out the window as part of a prank.-Incorrect. Its actualy weakening the agrgument..Means Marvin didn't drink it

Hi akankshasoneja,
OA is (b). How can option (e) weaken the argument.
The conclusion of the argument is that marvin didn't drink it. That's what option (e) saying. I was mainly confused between option (b) and (e) and I donot find any logical difference between the two.
Manager
Manager

Premium Member
Re: Marvin’s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2014, 06:36
Could you please post OE? Would like to see what veritasprep experts say

Sukant2010 wrote:
akankshasoneja wrote:
Sukant2010 wrote:

IMO B

E. At certain raucous parties like the party in question, some punchbowls are merely thrown out the window as part of a prank.-Incorrect. Its actualy weakening the agrgument..Means Marvin didn't drink it

Hi akankshasoneja,
The conclusion of the argument is that marvin didn't drink it. That's what option (e) saying. I was mainly confused between option (b) and (e) and I donot find any logical difference between the two.
Manager
Manager
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 263

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Marvin’s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2014, 07:57
Sukant2010 wrote:
akankshasoneja wrote:
Sukant2010 wrote:

IMO B

Hi akankshasoneja,

Hello Sukant
My reasoning there was wrong... E will be eliminated because it talks about certain parties like the one... But that doesnt necessarily mean that the same thing happened with marvin.Hope it helps
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 47

Re: Marvin’s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2014, 10:00

B. The person examining the tile for evidence of spilled punch has been able to detect such evidence in considerably more obscure, hidden places.... means the punch was actually not spilled....strengthens the conclusion by an evidence.............

E. At certain raucous parties like the party in question, some punchbowls are merely thrown out the window as part of a prank.some may be thrown out .....but don't forget .....the entire balance lot could be gulped up by my dear friend MARVIN....
Manager
Manager

Re: Marvin’s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2014, 01:32
semwal wrote:

B. The person examining the tile for evidence of spilled punch has been able to detect such evidence in considerably more obscure, hidden places.... means the punch was actually not spilled....strengthens the conclusion by an evidence.............

E. At certain raucous parties like the party in question, some punchbowls are merely thrown out the window as part of a prank.some may be thrown out .....but don't forget .....the entire balance lot could be gulped up by my dear friend MARVIN....

Hi,
Your reasoning is right. But I guess 'some' here is referring to 'punchbowls' i.e. bowls of punch. May be if in a party there are 5 bowls of punch, then atleast one is spilled out. We are not actually talking about the 'punch' in the punchbowl.
If I am wrong, please correct me about this explanation.
Thanks in advance!
Manager
Manager

Re: Marvin’s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2014, 01:34
Hi mba1382,

This is the OE.
'Solution: B

One way to Strengthen this argument would be to strengthen the qualifications of the person who searched for the incriminating evidence. If that person is terrible at finding evidence of spilled punch, his testimony is of questionable value, but if that person has a track record of punch-detecting success, his failure to find the punch is potentially significant. (B) provides such approbation, making it the best option.'
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 47

Re: Marvin’s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2014, 06:47
sukant 2010

Marvin was the only person known to have been by the punchbowl between the time it was filled and the time it was observed to be empty. If Marvin had drunk the entire bowl, then some of the punch would inevitably have spilled on the tile, but I examined the tile carefully and found no evidence of spilled punch. Thus Marvin must not have drunk the entire punchbowl.

E. At certain raucous parties like the party in question, some punchbowls are merely thrown out the window as part of a prank.......WE ARE TALKING OF A PARTICULAR PUNCH BOWL....THE ONE MARVIN HAD BEEN CLOSE TO........NOW IN SUCH PARTIES THERE MAY BE ANY NUMBER OF PUNCH BOWLS thrown out .....but WE ARE TALKING ABOUT WHETHER THE ONE IN CONTEXT could be gulped up by my dear friend MARVIN...... BY THE FACT THAT A NUMBER OF BOWLS WERE THROWN OUT WE DRAW NO RELEVANCE TO WHETHER THE ONE NEAR MARVIN WAS/ WAS NOT GULPED BY MARVIN.....HENCE IRRELEVANT.....

KUDOS IF YOU PLEASE.......
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1112

Kudos [?]: 5029 [2] , given: 164

Re: Marvin’s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2014, 02:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Sukant2010 wrote:

Let's analyze the argument.

Premises (assumed to be true):
- There is no evidence that Marvin drank the entire container of punch.
- He was the only person known to have been by the punch bowl between the time it was filled and the time it was observed to be empty. (Mind you, the premise doesn't say that he WAS the only person. It only says that he was the only person KNOWN to have been by the bowl. If someone else did go to the bowl, it is not known)
- If Marvin had drunk the entire bowl, then some of the punch would have spilled on the tile. (Taken to be a fact. If he had drunk the whole bowl, some punch would have spilled)
- I examined the tile carefully and found no evidence of spilled punch. (I examined and found no spillage is given. This doesn't mean there was no spillage. The point is that I found none)

Conclusion: Marvin must not have drunk the entire punch bowl.

There is one way in which we can prove beyond doubt that Marvin did not drink the entire punch bowl - if we can prove that there was certainly no spillage. 'I found no spillage' doesn't mean there was none. But if I am good at detecting spillage, it strengthens the conclusion that Marvin must not have drunk the entire punch bowl. It increases the probability that there is actually no spillage and hence the probability that Marvin did not drink the entire punch. Hence (B) is correct.

(E) At certain raucous parties like the party in question, some punchbowls are merely thrown out the window as part of a prank.
Option (E) provides an explanation of what could have happened to the punch (might have been thrown out - one of many possibilities) in case Marvin did not drink all of it. It doesn't strengthen the conclusion that Marvin did not drink the entire punch.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Marvin’s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in   [#permalink] 30 Jan 2014, 02:32