Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 16:55

Starting Soon!

Live Q&A Session with HKU Admissions Team | Join the chat room to participate.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Mary, a veterinary student, has been assigned an experiment

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Mary, a veterinary student, has been assigned an experiment [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2008, 04:17
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Mary, a veterinary student, has been assigned an experiment in mammalian physiology that would require her to take a healthy, anesthetized dog and subject it to a drastic blood loss in order to observe the physiological consequences of shock. The dog would neither regain consciousness nor survive the experiment. Mary decides not to do this assignment.
Mary’s decision most closely accords with which one of the following principles?
(A) All other things being equal, gratuitously causing any animal to suffer pain is unjustified .
(B) Taking the life of an animal is not justifiable unless doing so would immediately assist in saving several animal lives or in protecting the health of a person.
(C) The only sufficient justification for experimenting on animals is that future animal suffering is thereby prevented.
(D) Practicing veterinarians have a professional obligation to strive to prevent the unnecessary death of an animal except in cases of severely ill or injured animals whose prospects for recovery are dim.
(E) No one is ever justified in acting with the sole intention of causing the death of a living thing, be it animal or human.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 103 [1] , given: 0

Re: CR (a veterinary student) [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2008, 08:33
This post received
KUDOS
moni77 wrote:
Thins is a very thogh one. I very weak at CR, but I'm thinking between D and E.

(A) All other things being equal, gratuitously causing any animal to suffer pain is unjustified.
This is incorrect because the experiment is not gratuitous
(B) Taking the life of an animal is not justifiable unless doing so would immediately assist in saving several animal lives or in protecting the health of a person. This is not correct because we dont know if the experiment would or would'nt save a life.
(C) The only sufficient justification for experimenting on animals is that future animal suffering is thereby prevented.
This is not correct because we dont know if the experiment would or wouldnt prevent future animal suffering
(D) Practicing veterinarians have a professional obligation to strive to prevent the unnecessary death of an animal except in cases of severely ill or injured animals whose prospects for recovery are dim.
Bingo, this is the only one we can know for sure because it says the dog was healthy
(E) No one is ever justified in acting with the sole intention of causing the death of a living thing, be it animal or human.
This is not correct because the sole intention of the experiment is not to cause a death, it's to study the effects of shock.
Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 367

Kudos [?]: 1851 [0], given: 359

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: CR (a veterinary student) [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2008, 06:32
Expert's post
I'm looking forward to a good and clear explanation of this strange question....
What is origin of it?

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Re: CR (a veterinary student) [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2008, 08:19
Thins is a very thogh one. I very weak at CR, but I'm thinking between D and E.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Re: CR (a veterinary student) [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2008, 08:36
Thanks for the explanations. At first I went with D but after reading E I was confused missing the point of the arguement.
Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 367

Kudos [?]: 1851 [0], given: 359

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: CR (a veterinary student) [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2008, 09:37
Expert's post
Thanks, gixxer1000
+1

Is it GMAT problem? This CR is unusual....

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: CR (a veterinary student) [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2008, 16:04
D as it goes with the set principles of not experimenting on a healthy animal.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: CR (a veterinary student) [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2008, 17:11
C?

I am not sure about D since it says 'practicing' vets...and Mary is a vet. student...

What is the OA?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR (a veterinary student) [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2008, 23:52
A) All other things being equal, gratuitously causing any animal to suffer pain is unjustified .
(B) Taking the life of an animal is not justifiable unless doing so would immediately assist in saving several animal lives or in protecting the health of a person.

I think B shd be the answer.. there is no immediate benefit of this experiment (it is just to study the shock). A and E are too broad. D is ruled out because Mary is a student. C might as well true as the experiment might result in future benefit.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: CR (a veterinary student) [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2008, 03:32
walker wrote:
Thanks, gixxer1000
+1

Is it GMAT problem? This CR is unusual....

This is an LSAT question from 1000 CR.

LSAT Test 4 Section I Q. 18.

The answer availabe with me is B.

Please correct me whether the answer is correct.

Neelabh Mahesh

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Re: CR (a veterinary student) [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2008, 07:28
I chose B, but when I read the explanation by gixter, I gave up.

So whats the answer
Re: CR (a veterinary student)   [#permalink] 26 Feb 2008, 07:28