Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 14:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Massively lopsided score, verbal side

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: USC, UCSD, UCI, Olin, HBS
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Massively lopsided score, verbal side [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 20:43
Hey guys,

Well, today was a day to be bummed out for me on the GMAT. A little bit of background: During Spring 2009, while working part time and looking for a job (graduated from undergrad in spring 2008) I decided that I may as well try the GMAT since I had free time on my hands. No current aspirations for B-School as of that time, but I knew the scores are good for five years. So I bought the official guide, another book (Kaplan, I think), studied for a couple of months on my own, and took the test. I got a 640, which I honestly was happy with at the time. Only problem was, I had a 36Q/40V (that's in the 46th percentile for Q, and 89th in V, for those who don't have the percentile chart memorized yet). Big split, right! But I figured, ah, I'm not going to be applying to the ultra elite schools anyway, so what's the big deal. I'm shooting for more the top 50ish schools, so I should be A-OK.

Fast forward a year and a half (that is, to this past summer). I decide, yes! I do want to get my MBA! And yes, I will need a score higher than a 640! So let's get to it. I study, study, study this summer. Take a couple of GMAT practice tests before the real deal. I scored 690 the first time (44Q/40V) and 710 the second (44Q/42V). Great! Elite schools, here I come (or, I have a chance at least). Well, I took the GMAT today.... and got a 680 (39Q/44V!). Ugh! The quant score is disastrous! And until I saw the score on the screen through my tear stained eyes (kidding... sort of!), I thought I had done rather well on the Q questions. But it was not to be.

Now, I feel it's too late to retake the GMAT for this year. I'm shooting for schools between top 20-top 50.... I'm hoping that my background will help. I will have two years experience by matriculation in a rotational program for the federal government that has had, and will have me spending significant time rotating throughout Hawaii, the West Coast, the Midwest, and Washington D.C. Also, applying as an under-represented minority (Hispanic) will hopefully score a few points. Of course, like everyone else likely thinks, I hope to have great essays, though we'll see.

Anyway, a couple of questions to those who've made it this far through my story. Have you heard of a score this lopsided towards Verbal? I've seen scores on forums consisting of high Q and middling V, but for whatever reason, not as much the other way around. Further, what impact do you think that will have on my apps? I have an accounting degree, and went through a financial analyst training program in college, so I know my way around numbers and financial statements. The one school I brought it up with said that the combined score is more important to them than the breakdown... But I'm still leery.

Thanks!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 322

Kudos [?]: 1286 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Massively lopsided score, verbal side [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 23:09
A 44 Verbal is a pretty good score, but I wouldn't necessarily say that it's lopsided, per se.

It might be too late to retake, but depending on what your undergraduate major was (provided it shows a quantitative bias), it might be alright. If you can retake, you should. But if you're not applying to top 10 or so, then the score is perfectly awesome. In fact, even if you apply to top 10, it's definitely within the 80% range. So you're okay, I think.
Retired Moderator
Followers: 95

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: Massively lopsided score, verbal side [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 03:01
Welcome to the gmatclub mikekennyb!

40 on verbal is like a dream score for many people :)

RC videos rc-through-videos-99566.html
CR videos cr-through-videos-99033.html
SC videos sc-through-videos-98340.html
Quant videos quant-through-videos-102525.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: Massively lopsided score, verbal side [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 07:13
I agree.
44 V is a dream score for many. I would still suggest you to retake, if you think u can pull off the applications for R II
Director
Director
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Massively lopsided score, verbal side [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 08:50
Amazing verbal score!!

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Massively lopsided score, verbal side [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 09:08
If you have demonstrated mathematical proficiency in other areas (and it looks like you do), then I don't see any reason to get too worked up over a slight imbalance. Both of your scores are totally decent for the range of schools that you're targeting. Remember, GMAT scores are largely a hygiene factor. They just want to make sure you're not mathematically incompetent.
Director
Director
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Massively lopsided score, verbal side [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 10:02
jsmith54 wrote:
If you have demonstrated mathematical proficiency in other areas (and it looks like you do), then I don't see any reason to get too worked up over a slight imbalance. Both of your scores are totally decent for the range of schools that you're targeting. Remember, GMAT scores are largely a hygiene factor. They just want to make sure you're not mathematically incompetent.

Hygiene factor? So if I am fresh and clean I will score a 700+?

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Intern
Intern
Schools: USC, UCSD, UCI, Olin, HBS
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Massively lopsided score, verbal side [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 11:03
Appreciate the comments guys.

At this point, it's a little late for me to retake, given I have R1 deadlines at the end of October and have some things going on personally and workwise which are going to take up quite a bit of time.

Right now I'm applying to UC-Irvine, USC, HBS, Pepperdine, and the University of San Diego. HBS is a reach, but I figure it's worth a shot!
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 190 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Massively lopsided score, verbal side [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 11:45
Dawgie wrote:
jsmith54 wrote:

Hygiene factor? So if I am fresh and clean I will score a 700+?

didnt know gmat only includes quant. they dont test if we speak no good engrish?

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Massively lopsided score, verbal side [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 17:39
I'm in the same boat - got a 660 (39Q 42V). A 53rd percentile 39 isn't BAD, per se. We're still over the mean. It's not a deal killer. You already took it twice, with a similar breakdown. Plus you have a degree in a quant based major. I'd just move on and focus on apps if I was you.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck 2013
WE 1: Big 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 67

GMAT Tests User
Re: Massively lopsided score, verbal side [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 18:10
Same type slant here - 44/44. Hopefully we can defy the 80/80 preference.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago,Tuck,Oxford,cambridge
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 7

Re: Massively lopsided score, verbal side [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2010, 08:13
wow 44 in verbal gr8!!!
Re: Massively lopsided score, verbal side   [#permalink] 20 Sep 2010, 08:13