Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 22:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Master of Finance vs Master of (Applied) Economics?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Master of Finance vs Master of (Applied) Economics? [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2010, 07:52
Has anyone else been contemplating these two degrees??

Lately I've been looking at MFin/MSFin degrees from these institutions: Vanderbilt, University of Rochester, Purdue, University of Maryland, University of Illinois - Urbana

I've also discovered these degrees in Master of (Applied) Economics from these institutions: NYU, University of Michigan - Ann Harbor, Duke, USC

My goal is to get an entry-level job in the investment management industry. No, I'm not thinking about PE, VC, or HF. I think those would be too prestigious for me. I mainly have in mind a long-only mutual fund.

So obviously my main concern is placement. The MFin seems to be more geared towards practical knowledge, and it can be acquired in just one year. But from looking at the lists I've compiled, I would say that the institutions are less prestigious than the MAE institutions.

The MAE degrees have a combination of theoretical and practical knowledge, but it's no secret that many of the students are just there to get placed into a PhD program. However, all the degrees claim to also place students into industry jobs too. A concern I had about these programs was that they are all two years, which would be more of a commitment than the MFin degree.

So does anyone have any advice/suggestions for which degree I should consider? I've only been here for a short time, so feel free to correct me if any of my perceptions are skewed.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Re: Master of Finance vs Master of (Applied) Economics? [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2010, 12:23
I think the main difference is the student body and intentions of the program. The MSF is usually made up of 5th year students or those with less than 1 year WE. Most of these students will be going into the work force once the program is done. Because of this there is an emphasis on placement and recruiting. A MAE on the hand is going to be made up of students seeking a PhD. The course load and material will be centered around PhD preparation. There most likely won't be a huge emphasis on placement and recruiting so you are on your own to get a job.

It all comes down to who you are and how you think you can network.If you can get the interviews and sell yourself you will be fine. I think an MS/MA in Econ and an MSF will both have a lot of subject matter overlap, but the MSF tends to be more of the main stream degree.

Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com

Re: Master of Finance vs Master of (Applied) Economics?   [#permalink] 21 Aug 2010, 12:23