Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 22:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Master of Management Studies @ Duke?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Master of Management Studies @ Duke? [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2010, 18:38
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Any thoughts on the new MMS program at Duke? I haven't heard anything about the placements... but the lack of published GMAT score and lack of employment data is a bit troublesome.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [4] , given: 0

Re: Master of Management Studies @ Duke? [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 08:21
This post received
KUDOS
I am a current MMS student, and the program has surpassed all my expectations thus far!

To address your recruiting question, you’re correct that our competition is the undergrads, and thus undergrad recruiting events are typically more relevant for us. However, we are also able to attend many MBA events, especially symposiums and the like where our presence does not interfere with MBA-recruiter face time. First and second year MBAs are also great networking resources for us, and MMS professional clubs can leverage corporate relationships developed by MBA clubs for our own needs. In sum, we have all the advantages of undergrad recruiting in addition to many opportunities afforded to MBA students.

I’m keeping of blog of my experiences with the program from a student’s perspective. I encourage you to check it out at lukeatduke dot com
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Master of Management Studies @ Duke? [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2010, 05:37
I think it may be little early for GMAT scores and job placement at the moment. The 9 month MMS program had it's first class of incoming students last August and they announced the program last March. It will take a couple years for the program to get recognized. However, I think it's a great program and definitely can help people who want to get a job quickly and have no industry/business experience.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Master of Management Studies @ Duke? [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2010, 08:00
Thanks for the insight! I had no idea that last year was the first year of this program. That definitely helps to explain the missing data.

I'm trying to figure out how they go through the recruiting process. Are they lumped in with the Duke undergrads, or do they go through recruiting with the Fuqua MBA students (except for entry level positions, of course)? If the MMS students are recruited essentially as an undergrad, then there are distinct advantages to the program. Duke doesn't offer an undergrad business degree, so the MMS students would likely be better prepared for a career in the business world. Tons of great finance / consulting companies recruit at Duke undergrad, so the MMS students would have a lot of great opportunities. Here's a short list I found highlighting some of the firms that come through:

Goldman
Bank of America
UBS
Credit Suisse
JP Morgan
Barclays
Morgan Stanley
Nomura, Lazard
Deutsche Bank
Piper Jaffray
Jefferies
Raymond James
RBS
Wells Fargo
Suntrust
Stifel Nicolaus
Harris Williams
Jane Street
DRW
Group One
Bain
BCG
McKinsey
Deloitte
PwC
E&Y
Audax (PE firm)
Cambridge Associates
Blackrock
Blackstone
Citadel
Accenture
Berkshire
AMEX
Prudential
etc. etc. etc.
(list courtesy of theATL on Wall Street Oasis)

If the MMS students are recruited through Fuqua's recruiting system, then it seems as though the MMS students would be more of an afterthought. The firms that come to Fuqua are looking for MBA-caliber people, not entry-level analysts.

Honestly I think that the idea of the program.is awesome, and I think there will be many more programs like it in the future. The program should also become both more competitive and successful as it gains notoriety.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Master of Management Studies @ Duke? [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 11:42
Chapinstick wrote:
I am a current MMS student, and the program has surpassed all my expectations thus far!

To address your recruiting question, you’re correct that our competition is the undergrads, and thus undergrad recruiting events are typically more relevant for us. However, we are also able to attend many MBA events, especially symposiums and the like where our presence does not interfere with MBA-recruiter face time. First and second year MBAs are also great networking resources for us, and MMS professional clubs can leverage corporate relationships developed by MBA clubs for our own needs. In sum, we have all the advantages of undergrad recruiting in addition to many opportunities afforded to MBA students.

I’m keeping of blog of my experiences with the program from a student’s perspective. I encourage you to check it out at lukeatduke dot com

Thanks, Kudos +1.

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 323 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Master of Management Studies @ Duke? [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 15:00
Expert's post
MMS students does have access to the Career Management Center at Fuqua.

It's a new program, but the job placement is pretty good. I'd imagine it only getting better with time.

Here's some statistics
Mean Salary: $55,132
Median Salary: $66,000
Mean Bonus: $6,367
Median Bonus $5,500

Although MMS does compete with undergrads for jobs, it appears the starting salary is a bit higher than those of typical undergraduate jobs.

The job placements are in typical business fields - marketing, consulting, finance.

Diversity

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Master of Management Studies @ Duke? [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 19:43
great update. kudos

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Master of Management Studies @ Duke? [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2011, 19:09
Anyone from Sydney that is considering to apply for the Duke MMS?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Master of Management Studies @ Duke? [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2011, 16:09
I'm going to apply for Duke MMS. Got my BBA at a small liberal arts uni in Florida, and have 2 internships.
GPA: 3.3, but may increase to 3.4 - haven't taken the GMAT yet, but am aiming for a high score, hopefully.

Do you guys think I have a shot?

Repetition is the father of learning.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Master of Management Studies @ Duke? [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2011, 22:05
Hi,

I have applied to Full time MBA this year and I was not invited for the interview. I would like to know if I can apply to MMS program for class of 2013. If yes, should I complete the entire application process again? My profile:

GMAT: 730
WE: 40 Months in IT product development.

Thanks,
Manoj
Re: Master of Management Studies @ Duke?   [#permalink] 18 Dec 2011, 22:05