Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Dec 2014, 20:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Masters in Accounting--chance of getting into USC?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Masters in Accounting--chance of getting into USC? [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2007, 17:49
Hi,

My overall GPA is a 2.77. If I include community college grades, my overall would be 2.94. My GMAT score is 650 with a 5.5 AWA.

What do you guys think are my chances for the USC MAcc program?

Thanks.

Last edited by squigglylines on 28 May 2008, 20:59, edited 2 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2007, 18:08
From the USC Leventhal website, it states that to be a competitive applicant, the applicant must have the following:

-minimum overall GPA of 3.0
-a total score equal to or higher than 600 (strongly recommended)

Also, from the website,
"Since the programs are graduate accounting and tax, the admissions committee looks for evidence that the applicant is capable of excelling in an undergraduate accounting course and in an economics course. The following courses must be completed, with a passing grade of B or better, prior to enrollment:

Introductory Financial Accounting
Microeconomics or Macroeconomics"

I received a C in Financial Acctg but received an A in Managerial Acctg. I got a C in Macroecon and an A (retake from an F) in Microecon. The USC Admissions Advisor told me the following:

"If you’ve taken another accounting course, such as managerial accounting, and received a better grade, we will take that into consideration as well when making admission decisions, since we look at grades received in ALL accounting courses.

If the admissions committee believes that an applicant has high potential to do succeed academically in the program and succeed professionally in the accounting profession, having a grade below a B will not necessarily mean that this person will not gain admission. Remember, we look at ALL parts of the application when we make admission decisions, not just grades and test scores."
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

[#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2007, 16:38
I am currently a student in the MAcc program at USC. It is an amazing program. I have met some awesome people and have a job locked down at Deloitte.

I know the program leaders well and I am involved as a student ambassador to give potential students "tours." The GPA doesn't help. The GMAT score is slightly above the average. One thing that is nice is they put a lot of weight on the interview. If you think you are a good interviewer or likeable, make sure that if you are offered an interview, you do an "in-house" as opposed to a phone interview.

I know at least one person who had a 2.9. He went to UCLA and I'm sure had a great interview.

They definitely consider the whole picture and are not number snobs. Just give it your best shot and apply ASAP!

Good luck.

Last edited by Wolverine1999 on 29 Mar 2007, 13:38, edited 3 times in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2007, 20:40
I have been just admitted by USC, is there any fellowship for international students?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 21:36
katie83 wrote:
I have been just admitted by USC, is there any fellowship for international students?

nice to see u here, Katie...

I don't think there are any scholarships offered by USC to international students...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

[#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2007, 18:33
Not really sure. Write an e-mail or call the MAcc staff to find out. They are very helpful.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2007, 02:53
Wolverine1999 wrote:
Not really sure. Write an e-mail or call the MAcc staff to find out. They are very helpful.

Thank you all. I have asked cowan, who is responsible for the fund, I got nothing. Btw, should I prepare for something for the new term?
Intern
Intern

Re: Scholarships for International Students [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2009, 14:20
vin4fun wrote:
katie83 wrote:

nice to see u here, Katie...

I don't think there are any scholarships offered by USC to international students...

Correction: USC does offer scholarships to international students.
I'm one and they just offered me 10k along with my offer of admission.
Intern
Intern

Re: Masters in Accounting--chance of getting into USC? [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2009, 23:34
Hi,

I was just wondering, for USC, do they weigh heavily on the quantitative portion of the GMAT score and ignore pretty much the verbal part? Or do they weigh the quantitative and the verbal parts equally?

Thanks,
Kai
Intern
Intern

Re: Masters in Accounting--chance of getting into USC? [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2013, 08:20
I've been emailing the USC admissions committee with a lot of questions the past couple of days because I have a strong desire to join their MBT program. However, most recently I sent them an email detailing why I don't think it would be a good idea to apply for their summer intensive program (this program is designed to fullfill any prerequisite courses and goes hand-in-hand with the master's program) only because my undergraduate grades were low, and I wanted to take part in a different program to fulfill my prerequisite courses so I can get good grades, and show the committee my potential and academic aptitude. Was it a bad idea to share this plan/insight with the admissions committee? They haven't responded for a couple of days, so it made me a little anxious. Thanks.
Intern
Intern

Re: Masters in Accounting--chance of getting into USC? [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2013, 11:38
I don't think that was the best idea. But if they really want you, they might overlook it. I wouldn't worry too much about the lapse in time since you emailed them. Sometimes, they get really busy.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Masters in Accounting--chance of getting into USC? [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2013, 20:51
squiggly! this is your first post since 2008 lol...
So i assumed you went to USC's Macc program?
Can you tell us how you are doing now? Where are you working, salary, etc? whatever you are willing to spill?

Also, have they removed their minimum gpa requirement? i dont see its there. I'm applying with a 2.70 but 2.91 in CC classes. gmat 640 with 6.0 awa and 7/8 IR. (I am literally you but 5 years ago)
Intern
Intern

Re: Masters in Accounting--chance of getting into USC? [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2013, 14:59
Yes, Squiggly. I'm curious, what did you end up doing?? I'm actually in a similar position as you (GPA-wise), and I also went to UC Irvine as well - majored in Economics and International Studies. I have yet to take the GMAT, but my aim is to get a 700. Also, squiggly, who did you use your letters of recommendations for? Did you have any work experience when you applied? And if you were admitted, did you take the summer intensive program, or did you already have the prerequisite courses completed? Thanks.
Intern
Intern

Re: Masters in Accounting--chance of getting into USC? [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 09:46
Also,

I'm trying to get into the summer intensive program @ USC, and I already have some of the prerequisites completed (intro to financial accounting, and micro/macroeconomics).... My cumulative gpa is a 2.89, and I'm considering retaking these courses... Is this a good plan? I received a B- in intro to financial accounting, and a B+/A- in micro/macroeconomics. I'll be spending roughly $600 dollars per course. Thanks.
Intern
Intern

Re: Masters in Accounting--chance of getting into USC? [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 09:52
Also,

I'm trying to get into the summer intensive program @ USC, and I already have some of the prerequisites completed (intro to financial accounting, and micro/macroeconomics).... My cumulative gpa is a 2.89, and I'm considering retaking these courses... Is this a good plan? I received a B- in intro to financial accounting, and a B+/A- in micro/macroeconomics. I'll be spending roughly $600 dollars per course. Thanks.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 43

Re: Masters in Accounting--chance of getting into USC? [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2014, 03:56
I'm sorry for piggybacking on this post but I can't seem to figure out how to start a new post. I know it's probably going to be something extremely easy actually.

I have a 3.65 GPA from a top 30 Uni (double major in economics and international relations) and gmat mock scores in the 600-680 range.

I have one solid LOR and one slightly less impactful one (both professional). I will probably have only a lukewarm LOR from my academic side as I was never too close to any of my professors. Am going to start reaching out to them this weekend (have 2 months).

I have 4 of the 8 prereqs done. I want to do the prereqs through the UC Berkley extension programme as I can then continue to work and save up for school while studying.

My main problem is that I have very limited private sector experience. I interned mainly with brand name NGOS, did a 4 month consultancy with the UN in Italy, did one financial consulting stint with a hotel in Kathmandu, taught and helped develop the English curriculum at a language school in Tokyo and am now working in Marketing and Communications for an international school in Tokyo. I also teach English part time with one of the biggest 'eikaiwas' here.

The main reason is because I'm an international student and my current job pays me better than if I were to work in a Big 4 affiliate back in my home country.

The GMAT is only 4 weeks away and I am exhausted all the time and now scared. I read somewhere that the selection and interview process is pretty crazy and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on whether or not I should apply this year or gain some more experience and then apply again. I'm turning 26 next month. I know that age is also a factor and so am doubly scared :( Any advice?
Re: Masters in Accounting--chance of getting into USC?   [#permalink] 23 Sep 2014, 03:56